LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Just before we set off for the winter tour i did my TomTom update.... All was well until i left Santander this morning and now its started cycling shutting down and through the welcome screen to the map then shutting down again. Looks like I'll be buying a new one in Gibraltar... Unless i can find a fix.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Check the cable ...they seem to be particular as to the quality of the power lead.
Power lead seems ok , I've given it a good giggle but nothing changes. Still cycling thru screens.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Agree re power cable.

You don't say which model.

If you are plugging the USB end of the cable into a USB socket on the vehicle then it will not get enough power. Use the Original cig socket unit and cable. Also try the unit connected to the power source but directly connected to the TT unit and not whilst in its cradle. This will check if there is a problem with the socket.

You can also see if you can do a soft reset which is to hold the On/Off button for about 20 seconds until you hear a drumroll sound then release the button. This helps rest some of the software.

Doug

Aug 4, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes ML580
Exp
Since 2018
We had problems with our old one, cable was not charging unit, left it plugged in and once it had put a bit of charge in it was ok

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
I had the same problem after update. I started a thread on it which should be within first couple of pages of this section. Some good suggestions. Sorry don’t know how to put a link “it was Help needed as Tomtom died on way to ferry” I’m sure someone can link it for you. Incidentally I haven’t tried to reset mine again yet as waiting for a solid Wi-fi supply then will try again.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Agree re power cable.

You don't say which model.

If you are plugging the USB end of the cable into a USB socket on the vehicle then it will not get enough power. Use the Original cig socket unit and cable. Also try the unit connected to the power source but directly connected to the TT unit and not whilst in its cradle. This will check if there is a problem with the socket.

You can also see if you can do a soft reset which is to hold the On/Off button for about 20 seconds until you hear a drumroll sound then release the button. This helps rest some of the software.

Doug
It's a Camping Go, but it will be Going in the bin,. Tried the hold down button and ut sounds the drums but then hangs in the screen with the camper on for about 90 seconds then cycles to basic screen trying to find sattillite then switches off for 10 seconds then restarts the sequence again.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I had the same problem after update. I started a thread on it which should be within first couple of pages of this section. Some good suggestions. Sorry don’t know how to put a link “it was Help needed as Tomtom died on way to ferry” I’m sure someone can link it for you. Incidentally I haven’t tried to reset mine again yet as waiting for a solid Wi-fi supply then will try again.
Looks like its a problem.. must be the update causing the problem.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Try doing a proper factory reset first it maybe just some old data in the wrong place.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I assume that you are referring to the older Camper unit ie Tomtom go live 1005 camper and caravan. Unless you can get to the main screen then tap and scroll to the page showing the Reset Option, which will restore it to Factory Settings meaning you will lose your Personal data, then there is not a lot more you can do.

Have you got a Micro USB socket mains charger you can try to charge it with if not then leave it plugged into a live 12v socket for up to 2 hours whilst the unit is off.

You suggest that you think it must be the update. You said you updated it before you left and it had worked fine until you went to leave Santander so that seems to be an unlikely cause.

Try holding down the On/Off button continuously to see if after you get a drum roll you then get the page with all the Models information. The 3rd from the bottom line should be the Battery Charge level and so you can see how charged up your unit is. If its very low then a charging problem appears to be a likely cause.

If you have to purchase a new unit you will find that the new Tomtom units work very differently. I have the New GO Camper which I have been very impressed with but is a big outlay. I have used a 2 year old Garmin Camper and I find the routing diabolical at times suggesting routes via cul de sacs , via narrow country lanes instead of more appropriate routes or sends you via far longer routes than is necessary including ignoring a perfectly suitable 'A' road.

Hope you get sorted.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Having had a similar problem and phoned TomTom, they advised re-installing. In my case it worked but I got tired of TomTom's outdated maps in Spain and bought a Garmin. Garmin was not much better but I had got used to TomTom. After a year Garmin is Ok!

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
If it is same as the GO 6200 hooking up to computer can sort it a lot of times if you have computer with you and decent internet access

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Eeek, I'm only a girl and don't know my left from right, but have you considered a paper map? We have also had probs with 'The Sat Nag' so now check paper map, write the route down ...and only then engage the Satnav. Happy New Year and enjoy your travels.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
It is a Go 1005, i got to diagnostic screen and the battery was 94% . I can't get beyond the screen offering "settings" it then just freezes .

It is impossible to turn the device off it constantly recycles, so im leaving it to run the batteries down.

Retry in the morning.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Eeek, I'm only a girl and don't know my left from right, but have you considered a paper map? We have also had probs with 'The Sat Nag' so now check paper map, write the route down ...and only then engage the Satnav. Happy New Year and enjoy your travels.
I'm a boy and understand paper maps, it's just the aires are all located by grid reference.

I'll get by using the IPhone

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've recently upgraded to a GO 6200 from a GO 1005, mostly because there was insufficient memory to hold the ever increasing size of map files. I would hazard a guess that the update didn't complete properly and it is now "hanging". If you can hook it up to your computer and run TomTom MyDrive you might be able to delete the corrupt map file then start again with a smaller map.

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for that TerryL I've got 8gb micro sim installed and it's showing spare space . I'm sure its a bad update. I'll survive I'm sure just a case of very poor service from what should be a reputable company.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years

Oh dear... :(

Have you considered that to have street level, paper maps of ALL THE TOWNS AND CITIES of Europe, as well as the road maps of all the countries you might want to visit, you would need a jolly big van with a huge payload.

Maps and Sat navs are not the same...

JJ :cool:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Wouldn't be without a paper map for planning though. Doesn't need to be very detailed, usually find the Michelin National maps are adequate.

Sep 19, 2018
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Tomtom are selling new units with incomplete maps. I took one back to halfords to complain, a painful hour later, all tomtom could come up with was that it had to be updated online. How? I don't have a pc? They constantly repeated that the map was old and needed updating - the truth is that the postcode I needed has existed from day one......
Absolutely silly. What they should do is ensure all the dealers have an option to update maps.

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Check the cable ...they seem to be particular as to the quality of the power lead.

They are pretty easy to get into. One screw behind the pivot ball and it will prize open. I put a squich of silicon onto the socket with the power lead plugged in.
You can also buy a new screen when that fails - again easy to fit.

fursty ferret

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
We had similar problems so just downloaded the TomTom app on my smart phone & this is much better & more accurate as well although they do make a charge after the 1st 50 miles usage. Good Luck. Gray & Pat

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Never got it to talk to computer so it went in the bin... Bought a new 5200 WiFi one in Cortes de Igliese in Seville for €169 and that's working fine. You can update without a computer!!!! But I'm up running again thanks all. Gerry

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @Augusta08

Thats a very good price for the GO5200 Wifi as for example Amazon are asking circa £250 here.

If you have not got Serena's English voice available on the unit, having bought it outside the UK, then if you want it contact Tomtom customer support and you should be able to get them make it available to you for download. Using Digitalised voices can enable you to get more detailed instructions as you go along.

One other tip is that occasionally the inbuilt sim can have a problem establishing contact with the TT servers. If, when this happens, you have a Mifi or can set up a Hotspot on your phone log your GO5200 to whatever you have then you can get the Traffic option working that way. Generally the sim works fine but there was an outage when I was in the Bournemouth area when there were major road works and a Premier Football match at the same time. The traffic was a nightmare but once I got the Mifi going the TT helped me get around the traffic.

Regarding updates make sure you have good download speed so maybe when you are at home. A European Map update is circa 8GB so with a poor download speed can take an eternity and risk failing. I have very good internet and I find the updating works better than when I used to have to do it via PC.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Doug

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
If its any help our fairly new Garmin/Avtex Tourer One via the caravan club had a similar problem. I have not installed a separate SIM card yet as dont need it, but maybe will when planning route options from the Basecamp Software (if I can get my head around that)
The device stoped working on the way home last week, would not re-start, dead as a doh doh. Phoned Avtex they advised that I should charge it fully over 24/48 hours via the USB lead from an output of 750ma or more, so I did this via our Bose Speaker Charger.
I then went onto Garmin Express website, registered the device, saw that updates were available, clicked install updates, then the Blue Bar appears showing download rate and approx time to perform full download. I was shocked to see that the download speed varied from as low a 3 up 6.6 MBPS, so it takes an age to complete but better than the quoted 2 hours 20 mins it initially stated.
Have yet to try it out, but the lesson I learnt was make sure the device has had its initial BIG full charge 16 hours plus, and that the latest software fixes and map data is fully installed before relying on it.
Life's too short I know, but I defy anyone not to watch the Blue Download Bar progress across the screen on your PC, just in case you miss an instruction before it ends:D
Happy Travels to warmer climes...hopefully.
Les

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had bother with my TomTom too mine was taking forever to find satellites etc ...I was losing the plot with it but I did a full factory reset as advised by a Tom Tom guy on an online help forum I then had to connect and reinstall software then updates.

Seems to be fine now but I've only used it twice since so I'm hoping it's fixed

OP
OP
Augusta08

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
T
Hi @Augusta08

Thats a very good price for the GO5200 Wifi as for example Amazon are asking circa £250 here.

If you have not got Serena's English voice available on the unit, having bought it outside the UK, then if you want it contact Tomtom customer support and you should be able to get them make it available to you for download. Using Digitalised voices can enable you to get more detailed instructions as you go along.

One other tip is that occasionally the inbuilt sim can have a problem establishing contact with the TT servers. If, when this happens, you have a Mifi or can set up a Hotspot on your phone log your GO5200 to whatever you have then you can get the Traffic option working that way. Generally the sim works fine but there was an outage when I was in the Bournemouth area when there were major road works and a Premier Football match at the same time. The traffic was a nightmare but once I got the Mifi going the TT helped me get around the traffic.

Regarding updates make sure you have good download speed so maybe when you are at home. A European Map update is circa 8GB so with a poor download speed can take an eternity and risk failing. I have very good internet and I find the updating works better than when I used to have to do it via PC.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Doug
Thanks Doug useful info. The only problems i had were, no instructions in English... I speak German and French but it was only in Spanish and Portuguese... But i found a tutorial on YouTube. The only voice was also in Spanish, but i did download Jane for free. I'm learning my way round, got the MH dimensions and weight in just need the camperstop poi's. I thought the price was good it was January sales and marked €125 off! Thanks Gerry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back