Toilet emptying - Permission to bury 1 x cubic metre permit (England Only) (1 Viewer)

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
How may people on here have this exemption, it only applies to England so no idea what to do with my faeces in Scotland or Wales!

I never normally use the motorhome toilet but when I do I just take it out and carry it to the disposal point at the site I am at, BUT what do you do when you are wild camping and it is full?

Has anyone applied for the FREE D3 Waste exemption? Note it does NOT cover the T11WEE Exemption

When you receive your exemption you can dispose of 1 x Cubic Mtr of portable toilet waste per year, not sure how to measure that and if it just means solids, you need to bury it and there are conditions like you must not deposit waste within 10 metres of any watercourse or 50 metres of any spring, well or borehole. You can only bury waste at the place of production, this means the place where the toilet is used, if it becomes full in the last place I am at how do I work out which bit is what and from when, how would they know which bit was from who and where you expelled it, are they taking the p!ss :rolleyes: I am trying to keep within the law, this document was only published on the 12th of Sept so very current(y)

I am trying to apply but the site is sending me in circles, its pretty crap really! Now going to add spade to payload list (y)

NOTE: Even if you have the exemption you should NOT bury it on your pitch if there is a disposal site nearby, this is for wild camping! Apologies if this has been discussed in length before but I couldn't find it in a search on here.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
but your waste is portable it’s in a motorhome
Section D3 is for Portable Waste ONLY, that is the exemption I am trying to get but ended up going from link to link and back again :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you sitting comfortably?

Open your link
Page 1....tap D3
Page 2....scroll to register D3 exemption (near bottom of page, ignore 1st one)
Page 3register or renew D3 waste exemption.
Large blue header 'applies to England only, register or renew your exemprion'
Page 4...REGISTER OR RENEW.

It then asks for name etc.

For work involved..... £5

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As you can only Bury what you produce at the site of burial but you already had 1/2 a cassette full on arrival who does the onus of proof fall on to prove it was empty or 1/2 full on arrival?

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Are you sitting comfortably?

Open your link
Page 1....tap D3
Page 2....scroll to register D3 exemption (near bottom of page, ignore 1st one)
Page 3register or renew D3 waste exemption.
Large blue header 'applies to England only, register or renew your exemprion'
Page 4...REGISTER OR RENEW.

It then asks for name etc.

For work involved..... £5
Thanks, I went through loads of the application and ended up having to state the disposal grid reference or address, without that you can't proceed, does that mean this exemption is for one fixed area only, if so WHY do they not explain that, what a crap system, AND its cost me a fiver to find the application form link :rolleyes: I guess it will have to be less curries on wild camping trips(y) I will call them Monday and see what its all about, I am just trying to comply with the law but its driving me round the bend.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
1 cubic meter = 1000 litres. That's a lot of doo doos :D

I don't see how this should apply to motorhomers. The opening statement "a small group of boy scouts camping at a remote site for a night with portable toilets, and intends to bury the waste from the toilets " suggests it's for a group of wildcampers / hiker types intending to be based in the midst of nowhere for a day or two.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
As you can only Bury what you produce at the site of burial but you already had 1/2 a cassette full on arrival who does the onus of proof fall on to prove it was empty or 1/2 full on arrival?
I guess you have to sort it then retrace your steps and empty the relevant parts, sweetcorn is easy to spot so maybe look through it by what you ate, seem a sh1t job!

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
1 cubic meter = 1000 litres. That's a lot of doo doos :D

I don't see how this should apply to motorhomers. The opening statement "a small group of boy scouts camping at a remote site for a night with portable toilets, and intends to bury the waste from the toilets " suggests it's for a group of wildcampers / hiker types intending to be based in the midst of nowhere for a day or two.
AND you need to know where you are going to expel said portable waste as it MUST be laid in the area it is buried AND where the exemption states (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
They want coords of the hole!
You can Bury 1 cube from, for example, a small boyscout camp...... How many scouts camp out for a full year in one location?
By the time a years past the bog would have composted with the help of some dead leaves and undergrowth.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Sorry because of sh!t explanation in the waste exemption website this is turning into a crap thread :rolleyes:

I will update this on Monday after I have called them, note any questions you have on this thread and I will ask them. Thanks (y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
But the example is scouts in a field probably in buckets similar to a camping meet digging a hole in the edge of a field to empty waste not a motorhome touring as you would have to empty every day before you move and I expect you would ave to keep a record of dumps :)

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Why don’t you just carry a spare cassette ? You’ll find a site/Aire/disposal point by the time 2 are full. Easier than filling firms, carrying a spade, checking where you dig your hole etc..
I did look at that but they are VERY expensive!

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks, I went through loads of the application and ended up having to state the disposal grid reference or address, without that you can't proceed, does that mean this exemption is for one fixed area only, if so WHY do they not explain that, what a crap system, AND its cost me a fiver to find the application form link :rolleyes: I guess it will have to be less curries on wild camping trips(y) I will call them Monday and see what its all about, I am just trying to comply with the law but its driving me round the bend.

Just been filling in the on-line form and have come to a stop at the same place as you.

I have come up with a cunning plan to circumvent the grid reference problem, cut a lump of turf at the grid reference you give them, carry it around with you in your van and when you need to have a dump or empty your cassette, then place the cut turf on the ground and dig a hole next to it, voilà, problem solved.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
But the example is scouts in a field probably in buckets similar to a camping meet digging a hole in the edge of a field to empty waste not a motorhome touring as you would have to empty every day before you move and I expect you would ave to keep a record of dumps :)
People may laugh but if your cassette is full it could be a nightmare! it has to be emptied somewhere, maybe just eat less then less out (y) but what's the point of my nice new big fridge freezer :rolleyes: My van sleeps 6 that's a lot of sh!t over a week!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Unless this has become a transatlantic thread , when we restart can we note that meters measure metres, unless you are replying from USA ?? recently retired flow measurement engineer ?

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Unless this has become a transatlantic thread , when we restart can we note that meters measure metres, unless you are replying from USA ?? recently retired flow measurement engineer ?
Thanks, thread header changed text was correct, I'm OCD like you so understand the torment, hopefully now you don't have to put it on ignore so you don't see it (y)

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Here's the complete solution. Maybe a toilet fixed on top for those days you can't find the van keys.
This looks better, don't know the capacity though, need to keep it locked or strangers passing could nick the toilet paper :rolleyes: Anyone else tow one of these?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 20.05.02.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 20.05.02.png
    537.5 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I see a solution to your problem. Freeze your crap in your new big freezer and then take it home with you.
Have you tried zip lock bags, its hard enough getting a sausage never mind faeces :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This looks better, don't know the capacity though, need to keep it locked or strangers passing could nick the toilet paper :rolleyes: Anyone else tow one of these?
Anyone ELSE?? You think someone's already doing it ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back