Tips for keeping your fridge cold (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If you have aircon does that improve the fridge performance or is it the heat at the back of the fridge that causes the trouble?
Probably makes little difference as the air intake/out take are the vents on the side of your van.
Try to ensure the vents remain in the shade.

This is the reason why most fridges are on the same side as the habitation door and the awning.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have aircon does that improve the fridge performance or is it the heat at the back of the fridge that causes the trouble?
It's the ambient temperature outside which reduces the ability of the fridge to shed heat. The finned pipe at the back is the condenser where the refrigerant returns to liquid and loses the heat drawn from the interior of the fridge.

Air conditioning will give the fridge less work to do of course so will assist to a certain extent.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just as a related point.
I use a cheap infrared temperature gun to keep an eye on mine.
I open each door and shoot.
Usually freezer is -18/-15 and the fridge at about +6

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Place 2 blue freezer packs in freezer and alternate moving to fridge whilst away to keep temp. down
We buy a big bag of ice from the garage on the way to the motorhome, and put it in the freezer to help cool it down. Then we use the ice in cocktails, G&Ts, Tinto Veranos etc over the next few days.
Also find that running it on gas for 4 or 5hrs cools it quicker than using 240v hookup or 12v hab power, so run it on gas until it gets cold then switch over to automatic for the rest of the trip.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Never had a problem with our Dometic fridge/freezer.

Dont over fill it,and put setting on half way.

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
Just as a related point.
I use a cheap infrared temperature gun to keep an eye on mine.
I open each door and shoot.
Usually freezer is -18/-15 and the fridge at about +6
Ahhh…..every time you open the door you warm the fridge up! Sensors in fridge with external digital measurement then you don’t have to open fridge

OP
OP
Toady
Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
We buy a big bag of ice from the garage on the way to the motorhome, and put it in the freezer to help cool it down. Then we use the ice in cocktails, G&Ts, Tinto Veranos etc over the next few days.
Also find that running it on gas for 4 or 5hrs cools it quicker than using 240v hookup or 12v hab power, so run it on gas until it gets cold then switch over to automatic for the rest of the trip.
We headed off today and are presently at Bosherston in Pembs.
Tracey had the biggest bag of ice for fridge. I am really worried as that means too many G&Ts.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Drill a 1" hole on the door so you can check if the light goes off

Pro-Tip.

If you have an older fridge freezer . Especially Older Samsung American Style. Replace the 3 or 4 bulbs with LED's.

Will save a lot of money on electricity consumption.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Laboratory freezers have individual doors on each "shelf" to reduce temperature changes when main door opened. Surprised no camper fridges have something similar?

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Our 3-way Dometic absorption fridge works brilliantly. We put it to maximum for a few hours for setting off and then keep it set to 3/5 most of the time once away. It seems to use hardly any gas and everything is beautifully cold, including excellent ice for the sundowners. We’ve had a compressor fridge before on one of the previous boats and it was great, but boy, did it sap power reserves!

The Dometic is silent and completely chilled.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Take the external vent covers off-the louvred ones.
If Hab door, when open, is over vents rig something to stand door further away!
Yes, stop opening the door and when you do open it be quick about getting what you need out!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back