Time to sell up, definite this time (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our elder son's serious road accident in 2019 meant that we didn't use the van at all that year.
In 2020 we only managed one weekend away because of the pandemic.
Last year we thought about selling but decided to give it another go and had three short trips.

We initially intended getting back into the swing of things this year but one thing after another got in the way. The fact is that we have simply got out of the habit of motorhoming and it is a waste having the van stood on the drive with hardly any use.

A pity considering the good trips we will remember but time to let somebody else enjoy the van.
Advertised in Classifieds Here if anyone fancies a look.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Our elder son's serious road accident in 2019 meant that we didn't use the van at all that year.
In 2020 we only managed one weekend away because of the pandemic.
Last year we thought about selling but decided to give it another go and had three short trips.

We initially intended getting back into the swing of things this year but one thing after another got in the way. The fact is that we have simply got out of the habit of motorhoming and it is a waste having the van stood on the drive with hardly any use.

A pity considering the good trips we will remember but time to let somebody else enjoy the van.
Advertised in Classifieds Here if anyone fancies a look.
Sorry to hear of your son’s accident. Hope he’s fully recovered. I fully understand your decision and hope you get your price for what sounds like a bargain. Good luck.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
That’s a shame . I know your are one of the original funsters and have been a member for over 15 years. I hope you still visit the forum and you never know what the future holds 👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
sorry to read this Graham and Jill. All the best but no need to leave fun, you have way to much info.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
chaser is right, I keep reading of funsters selling up. None of us are getting any younger and we too are considering calling it a day as ours too sits on the drive too much and the pandemic certainly started the downward trend. MOT and service next week and then we'll make the decision. Good luck for what comes next G&J.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry to hear of your son’s accident. Hope he’s fully recovered. I fully understand your decision and hope you get your price for what sounds like a bargain. Good luck.
Thank you. Six months in hospital and then another several months before he could go back to work, obviously affected by Covid.
He will never be 100% but manages to drive round much of England, Scotland and Ireland as a data engineer. He was helped a great deal by the fact that the firm he works for (J. Brand) arranged an automatic van on top of all the rest of the brilliant support they gave him.

Many thanks also for the kind words from those of you who have contributed above.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you. Six months in hospital and then another several months before he could go back to work, obviously affected by Covid.
He will never be 100% but manages to drive round much of England, Scotland and Ireland as a data engineer. He was helped a great deal by the fact that the firm he works for (J. Brand) arranged an automatic van on top of all the rest of the brilliant support they gave him.

Many thanks also for the kind words from those of you who have contributed above.
Good to hear of your son’s great outcome and it sounds like he’s got a super employer too. Thank whoever for the NHS. We’ve messed with it at our peril.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
You are so knowledgeable and have helped me so much over the years. May I take this opportunity to thank you. I feel sad you are leaving but fully understand. :(

If there wasn't a chance that I may have to end up full-time in my van, I feel I could be right behind you.

Good luck and thank you so much.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well we shall not be giving up soon.

What age are those who are giving up for that reason - I do not mean real health problems but just age?

I am now 80 and we are looking forward to the freedom of planning months away, instead of weeks, now that we are restricted by time away not to leave Basia's Mum for too long. Basia presented me last evening with a plan for next year for France- Spain taking 2+months, parking up for August, flying back and then another 2 months. Then might fly down to Greece.

2024 could see us doing Italy and Greece in the MH again.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sorry to read this Graham and Jill, we have fond memories of our gatherings at the shows and meets 😉 apart from Peterborough 2012 😯☔ 😂.
Good luck with the next chapter. 👍 :drinks: Bob and Janie.

Screenshot_20221104-220751_Chrome.jpg

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
GJH it doesnt mean you have to leave the mhome fun site,i havent got a van but am passionate about motorhoming,and it is a good place to hear other peoples adventures,and different opinions on world affairs,or even a good moan , altho i dont know you , im happy to hear your son is getting better, best regards pampam🤓

Reactions: GJH
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Sorry to hear about your son

I was wondering who gets it for 20k & who pays 23k

I suppose if your on the naughty list you might pay more 🤔

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
It looks a lovely van from the outside at a very good price, good luck with your sale, have you put it on ebay ? Best regards pampam

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry to hear about your son

I was wondering who gets it for 20k & who pays 23k

I suppose if your on the naughty list you might pay more 🤔
Just a guide price, people are welcome to pay more ::bigsmile:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well we shall not be giving up soon.

What age are those who are giving up for that reason - I do not mean real health problems but just age?

I am now 80 and we are looking forward to the freedom of planning months away, instead of weeks, now that we are restricted by time away not to leave Basia's Mum for too long. Basia presented me last evening with a plan for next year for France- Spain taking 2+months, parking up for August, flying back and then another 2 months. Then might fly down to Greece.

2024 could see us doing Italy and Greece in the MH again.
I doubt anyone makes the decision purely based on age, that wouldn’t make sense.

I’m sure for everyone it’s multifactorial based on increasing insurance costs at 80 in the UK (yes we all know you’re in Poland), deteriorating health and mobility, desire to spend time with grandchildren perhaps, no doubt other things I can’t think of. You’re just about old enough to be my Dad but I’ve already outlived both my parents so I know only too well how precarious health and life can be!

Most people keep going whilst it’s enjoyable and the costs are worthwhile but if you’re no longer able to enjoy your van and it’s sitting there glaring at you, sell up move forward and enjoy the happy memories.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I doubt anyone makes the decision purely based on age, that wouldn’t make sense.

I’m sure for everyone it’s multifactorial based on increasing insurance costs at 80 in the UK (yes we all know you’re in Poland), deteriorating health and mobility, desire to spend time with grandchildren perhaps, no doubt other things I can’t think of. You’re just about old enough to be my Dad but I’ve already outlived both my parents so I know only too well how precarious health and life can be!

Most people keep going whilst it’s enjoyable and the costs are worthwhile but if you’re no longer able to enjoy your van and it’s sitting there glaring at you, sell up move forward and enjoy the happy memories.

carolyn

You may be right about multifactorial(new word to me but I know what you mean), but several have said that age was the reason - they could have been hiding other reasons.

As an aside: you mention insurance costs - we had trouble finding comprehensive cover in Poland as only one company will quote on a RHD vehicle. They will not insure for more then £22K value as being the discount value for RHD, and they double the premium because it is RHD, so and it is costing us £850 p.a. compared with £550 in UK incl. EU recovery.

Fortunately financial considerations are unlikely to bear down on any decision to keep on MHoming.

Geoff

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry you are selling up, but hope you will stay on here!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back