'Three' 24gb data sim back in stock on Amazon!!! (4 Viewers)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In theory it only allows two months abroad. For us, mainly touring abroad, the 3 month ones seem better as two out of three is better than two out of twelve, even if more expensive per Gb.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In theory it only allows two months abroad. For us, mainly touring abroad, the 3 month ones seem better as two out of three is better than two out of twelve, even if more expensive per Gb.
Yes, if you're wanting to use is for quite a bit more than 2 months then the only way is to get 2 or more sims to ensure you can continue using the internet so long as the allowance is sufficient for your needs - you can use the 12 or 24gb data as much as you like in as short a period as you like (12gb max a month abroad) so if you have a high data requirement then the larger ones are better otherwise you could easily eat through a 3gb one in less than a month.

Deleted User
I don't know much about using data when away from home or how much I need but if I can get 8GB of data every month from PlusNet on my mobile sim for £15 a month then is that a good deal and would it be enough. I assume tethering the phone to ipad would work okay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't know much about using data when away from home or how much I need but if I can get 8GB of data every month from PlusNet on my mobile sim for £15 a month then is that a good deal and would it be enough. I assume tethering the phone to ipad would work okay.
Whether you can tether to your phone or not depends on the contract terms with Plusnet as not all providers allow it.

You won't be able to use it abroad either without paying roaming costs, whereas with '3' you can (unless its one of their essentials sims), '3' are currently offering a 12 month contract phone sim with 30gb of data a month for £15 (usually £22.50), however it only has 200 mins so you need to decide if that's enough 'talk' time for you.

These are their Advance plans which allow UK and FAH countries use:

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pl...=1#?contract=All&data=&minutes=&type=advanced

These are their Essentials plans which are usable in the UK only:

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pl...1#?contract=All&data=&minutes=&type=essential

Last edited:

Deleted User
Thanks for your helpful reply Mel. I am looking at other options along with using the Huawei mifi

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for your helpful reply Mel. I am looking at other options along with using the Huawei mifi
I can have a shuftie for you if you want but need to know:
  • what amount of minutes / texts / data do you need for your phone contract per month?
  • what amount of data do you need for your mifi per month?
  • do you need to use them abroad and if so for how long each trip?

Deleted User
I will only be using the data in the UK and for general internet usage and not for downloading music or films so not sure how much data I will need. I have the Huawei that you recommended in a previous post and will probably be using that most of the time. The reason for mentioning the PlusNet mobile sim is that I have a choice of 1GB of data per month for £5 or 8GB for £10 and was wondering if the extra data will be useful.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ah, so you're already a Plusnet broadband and/or landline phone customer so I assume get a discount?

Okay, next question ... you'll be using the mifi for data normally but how much data will you get through per month?

If you don't need 8gb of data on your phone you might as well just go for the 1gb a month and save half the cost - I know you get a lot of data for the extra £5 but if you don't need it you're just paying for it for the sake of it.

Also how many mins will you need for your phone? There's a 2gb data / 1000 mins sim for £7.50 a month too.

Deleted User
I don't use the phone a lot so text/phone time is more than enough. Its looking like I would be better off using mobile as phone only with cheapest package and using data sim in mifi. Going back to your original post I will keep an eye on the deals offered by Amazon.
Thanks again for your help.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, new to this. Looking at this for Internet in mifi while traveling abroad shortly.
What is the 3 add on that you need please? ?

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
That's my Mifi sorted for 2017 & 2018. Let's hope I last as long!! Note to self reduce drinking over Christmas as I now have to outlive this new sim!

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Many thanks.

I bought one and it was delivered Friday.

I put it into the bag that contains my MH Wifi.

I'm just telling you all so you can remind me where it is when I can't find it :unsure:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Yes, if you're wanting to use is for quite a bit more than 2 months then the only way is to get 2 or more sims to ensure you can continue using the internet so long as the allowance is sufficient for your needs - you can use the 12 or 24gb data as much as you like in as short a period as you like (12gb max a month abroad) so if you have a high data requirement then the larger ones are better otherwise you could easily eat through a 3gb one in less than a month.
Very true but we only use for a bit of web browsing so 1Gb a month is plenty.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Damm, I'm in Bali, Indonesia is a Feel free at home country and my data sim is at home in the UK.:cry:

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Ordered some days ago when there was stock. Order confirmed for delivery yesterday or today. Just received an order update saying order delayed. No confirmation of when it will be delivered. Bit worrying :(.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We had one this year (still got some data left) but in France it only allowed 3G, never got a 4G signal but I did on my phone which is BT. Anyone know if 3 throttle roaming to 3G only?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We had one this year (still got some data left) but in France it only allowed 3G, never got a 4G signal but I did on my phone which is BT. Anyone know if 3 throttle roaming to 3G only?
I suspect they are - used ours in Belgium, Germany, Austria, France, Italy and Portugal this year. Always only on 3g, but worked fine and very happy with that. A life saver in fact!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve been using 3 SIM cards in France for ages and have never got 4G.
Every time I try to change networks to a 4G one I get a message on my mi-fi saying “Network not available”.
3G works fine but I’m sure the speed has been much slower in most places than it used to be. I think there is some ‘throttling’ going on.

Richard.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
It'd depend on what reciprocal agreement they have with the local mobile providers.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
It'd depend on what reciprocal agreement they have with the local mobile providers.

I don't think so.
It costs your airtime supplier more for you to get "X" amount of data downloaded from a third party abroad, now that due to to the outlawing of any additional charges they can levy on you for data downloading whilst roaming.

My bet is that they simply ask the third party overseas operator to throttle back the connection to your SIM card whilst there to 3G.

Deleted User
I’ve been using 3 SIM cards in France for ages and have never got 4G.
Every time I try to change networks to a 4G one I get a message on my mi-fi saying “Network not available”.
3G works fine but I’m sure the speed has been much slower in most places than it used to be. I think there is some ‘throttling’ going on.

Richard.

I found exactly the opposite , after roaming charges were stopped the throttling stopped and I have even been able to stream BBC iplayer when in France and Spain without a VPN.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
If they are the same as Vodafone, then they’ll fair use you at 16gb....... thereby waisting the remaining 8gb

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I found exactly the opposite , after roaming charges were stopped the throttling stopped and I have even been able to stream BBC iplayer when in France and Spain without a VPN.
When you say streamed was it via 3G or 4G though?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ordered some days ago when there was stock. Order confirmed for delivery yesterday or today. Just received an order update saying order delayed. No confirmation of when it will be delivered. Bit worrying :(.
these were available for a few weeks last year, no idea if they will bring them back this year

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
They didn't mine, either. I think it might be close to its 2 years, tho. I don't video stream, just email.
I think it only comes into play for continuous usage not if you are away say for a few weeks at a time each year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back