Thinking of over winter upgrades. (1 Viewer)

pug907

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,
I'm on the scrounge for your worldly wise experience, as usual hahaha.
I really need to change the driver's seat in my '08 Ducato based Home-car, as I end up with a dead leg after an hour or so. Weirdly, driving my van doesn't cause the same problem? Has anyone changed theirs? or know anyone that sells a decent comfortable replacement?
Thanks in advance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It could be the different driving position in a Ducato compared to a small van (I assume that's what you have), the small van will have a more car-like slightly laid back position with your legs straighter, whereas the Ducato is more upright and could simply be putting pressure on the nerve in your leg - you'll probably find a memory foam pad on the seat will help to alleviate the pressure.

OP
OP
pug907

pug907

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
My van is a Renault master, so pretty much the same thing, just newer. Maybe I should fit a Renault master seat hahaha.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I find that if I regularly alter the seat position I avoid the dead leg.

ploots

Free Member
May 31, 2013
gloucester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt bessacarr 765p
Exp
Air suspended seat like I have in my truck would help, I never have any problems driving that but in my 07ducato moho even after a short journey I'm aching

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Different situation: same solution?

My Merc gave me a deadleg so I fitted cruise control ( or, at least, Dave Newall did (y)) so I have very few periods when I'm pressing pedals for more than 10mins.

I even switch it on for the 200yard dash from the main road to my gate. BEST MONEY I'VE SPENT!

Gordon

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Part of the issue Could be the Swivel under the seat adds height, If you are 28" inside leg (say), you are now sitting at the stretch, this may be contributing to muscle or ligament strain?. SWMBO. has similar issues with Higher seats when driving, BUT needs the height to be able to get in and out without back strain!. (Catch 22?).

Used to love the "Air" seat in Trucks, but you have to harden them up a bit or you bounce everywhere!.:LOL: especially on British Roads;), OK on the EU`s nice new ones (British Taxes?):whistle:. The ones in The Winnebago where like bloody big armchairs, biggest problem was not getting too comfy and falling asleep!:D2

OP
OP
pug907

pug907

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I find that if I regularly alter the seat position I avoid the dead leg.
I've tried that, which eased it a little, but still uncomfortable. It's only my left leg, which is weird. I think resting it on the dash is frowned upon these days, or I'd do that hahaha.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've tried that, which eased it a little, but still uncomfortable. It's only my left leg, which is weird. I think resting it on the dash is frowned upon these days, or I'd do that hahaha.
Would this 'help' remove the offending leg? :D

Broken Link Removed

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Here's part of a post I made in 2014.
" the seats were purchased from Wyvern Seating in Shepton Mallet. I saw the advert for them from the back of MMM. Each box was £98 and they would have charged £16, I think for the pair to have them delivered but we picked them up from the sellers house."

I hope the above is of use.

In our case the reason for lowering the seats was to give a better view because I had to bend to see out of the 'screen when I was faced with a downhill immediately followed by an uphill.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Am 5', don't get dead leg as the seat is so adjustable, also cruise control, but could do with extensions on my arms which are short.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Am 5', don't get dead leg as the seat is so adjustable, also cruise control, but could do with extensions on my arms which are short.
How about a couple of these ... I think they only do them in right-hand form though! :D

robot-arm-toy-7.jpg

Other alternative is to get someone to help you use one of these .... :eek:

Polly%20Hudson%20tries%20out%20some%20of%20the%20exercises%20to%20grow%20taller

OP
OP
pug907

pug907

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
My seat isn't a swivel seat & height isn't really the issue. Being six foot and sporting size 12s, it's the seat itself that's the problem, I'm convinced ;). I have sat on more comfortable park benches, to be fair :D, so my hunt will continue.
Thanks for the inspirational pics though (y).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in which case get the seat squab reupholstered

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Air suspended seat like I have in my truck would help, I never have any problems driving that but in my 07ducato moho even after a short journey I'm aching

I have air suspension seats in my motorhome and I have had to switch the passenger side off as the other half claims it makes them feel sea sick and I also get a bit of a dead leg on a long journey, but that has happened in all my vans. I think the key is not to keep the limb in the same position for too long, easier said than done.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I admit that Cruise control when it can be used in safety is a big part the answer. It allows to move the leg about and ease the issue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back