Thinking of going to Ireland?.. (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Copied this from a facebook page. Might be of interest...

Just returned from a brilliant 5 week tour if Ireland. We started and finished at Belfast, and went right round the coast, in an anti-clockwise direction. It's one of, if not the best place we've ever toured in the van. There are plenty of places to stop and virtually every tourist attraction, city and town was easy to access in our van, a 7.5 Metre Autotrail Cheyenne 660. We got the ferry from Cairnryan, and initially were supposed to be going to Larne, but we arrives early and rather than stay at the ferry port, for a fiver, we opted to pay an extra £7.30 and go a day early, so ended up at Belfast! We found every single stop over on Search for Sites, we have the app on my phone. The sat nav co-ordinates were stop to, taking us to the door of every place we stayed. We use an Aguri RV720, and again it never put a foot wrong in navigating us around. We used a mixture of "aires", marinas, wild spots and sites throughout the tour. Sites are quite expensive. between 25-33 Euros a night, including ehu, for 2 people and a dog, (some charged for the dog, some didn't). Showers were extra in them all, except the C&CC site at Delamont Park, in the North, so I didn't use them! The official guide book for the Wild Atlantic Way says' and I quote, "Wild camping is strictly forbidden in Ireland, but in reality no one really cares. You can stop anywhere, except on someones' drive. But if you ask you are pretty sure to get the ok!" And that's exactly how it was! No one bats an eye lid. There are some height barriers at a few places, but not many. A lot of farmers and marinas are cottoning on to the money to be made from motorhomes stopping over, couple that with the fact that they can provide pitches and so on without any planning permission, providing they don't have showers, and you can see why they are becoming popular! Every single person we met, without fail, in the entire country North & South, was friendly, welcoming and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. They interrogate you from minute 1. Where are you from? ? What's your name? Where are you going? have you had a great time? Brexit, what the feck are you guys up too? Seriously? You think we're going to have a border? Jeez, you're all mad! That pretty much sums up the introduction conversation. they they get on to their life stories, family issues, health issues and where they think the government are going wrong! Problems with "Over-sharing", don't seem to have hit Ireland yet! We had our little dog with us, and before we left we had concerns about her and any pet passport issues. Needn't have worried! Not one person, from getting on the ferry, to getting off the ferry, asked a single question about her, apart from what's her name! No mention of any passport, restrictions on where she could and couldn't go or anything! Diesel is expensive, and for some strange reason, was more expensive the closer you got to big towns and cities! Several times I filled up at €1.35PL, to find 5 miles outside of town in a little garage it would have been €1.32, which was about the cheapest. Not many supermarkets seem to do fuel, like over here, there are some, but not many. LPG for our under slung tank was also readily available, and cheap. I topped up at 66 cents per Litre. Well who wouldn't at that price! I could go on. It was just brilliant! For anyone starting out in this mad lifestyle and wanting to stretch you wings, I'd go to Ireland! The people, in theory, speak the same language, the money is Euros, in the South, and you can have a go at aires and such. It was our first time to Ireland, but we'll definitely be going back!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Doing it right now, as we missed out on the Wild Atlantic Way back in 2006.

We can concur with all of the above, but you really do need your wits about you, when driving along some of the narrowest country routes, ie, defensive driving is a must. ?

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sorry to be a wetblanket but We did some of it in 2012, have to say it demanded more sites than we would ordinarily use and they were pricey, the ferry wss also pricey and with limited choice.

The next year we did a similar length trip to Brittany that was cheaper, easier and better weather.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
jongood. We've been her a fortnight now Jon, and not used one campsite, but instead staying on recognised MH locations with some being free and others chargeable, but no more than 10€pupn.
There is no way I was going to pay anywhere between €28-€42pupn, just to park the MH. :Eeek:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As for ferry prices I've been every year for 5 years and not paid more than £120 each way with 8m mh, and a day sailing.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
As for ferry prices I've been every year for 5 years and not paid more than £120 each way with 8m mh, and a day sailing.
I think that's about right if you can afford to pick your sailing day and time ..
I've been travelling over here 6 or 7 times a year for the last 3 or 4 years and the prices of the cairnryan ferries are seasonal... in the winter months ive done it for £89... but in the busy periods its more like £150... thats an economy ticket mind booked on line... its about £10 more just to turn up at the port and Flexi is at least another £10 on top of an economy..
so I allow about £300 for a return, which for a two and a half hour crossing is steep....
I did shetland and back from Aberdeen recently with northlink for around £324 and thats around a 12 hr sailing...

just to add the north and in particular the north coast around port rush is heaving at the minute with the British open golf on all this week..
with the good weather ive not seen our little village as busy for a long time..

Andy

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I would love to know how you re getting those prices? every time Ive looked at it its circa £200 each way, Ive just checked again for september and it s £200 - Ok going any day of the week but not at silly times. Our MH is also 8m x3m high.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I would love to know how you re getting those prices? every time Ive looked at it its circa £200 each way, Ive just checked again for september and it s £200 - Ok going any day of the week but not at silly times. Our MH is also 8m x3m high.
Hi Jon... I've just looked and picked a random date.. 4th Sep.. 1530 sailing...
Motorhome up to 10m long and two people..
£151... that's an economy ticket booked with stena direct not one of the ticketing company's...
I didnt check p&o prices but they are usually on par with stena or were last time i did look..
The prices i was quoting in my post above were with just a driver and i get senior citizen rates ??..
Andy

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Jon... I've just looked and picked a random date.. 4th Sep.. 1530 sailing...
Motorhome up to 10m long and two people..
£151... that's an economy ticket booked with stena direct not one of the ticketing company's...
I didnt check p&o prices but they are usually on par with stena or were last time i did look..
The prices i was quoting in my post above were with just a driver and i get senior citizen rates ??..
Andy
Hey Andy, hope all is good with you.

Are you quoting cairnryan? We would do it but its further than Dover for us.

We did mostly North on our visit and fancied doing South next time, ironically we ended up booking a return via holyhead dublin as Irish Ferries offered 10% mh discount making it £371

But seriously we are in France right now on frequent traveller at £58 each way, and easy aires but OK the fuel is dearer these days but actually not much different to Eire according to googlepower.

Cheers
Jon

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Are you quoting cairnryan
Hi Jon... yea sorry should have said... that's for cairnryan which is the route i normally use..

I'm pretty well over here most of the time now with parents but do escape from time to time ??..
I'm not saying it's a cheap trip and its obviously not when you can travel to France for so little as you do... but ireland has to be worth a visit and as the person in sues original post found out ...turned into a great holiday?
Anyhows I Hope you enjoy your current trip..
Safe travells..
Andy

Deleted User
We are travelling Liverpool - Dublin P&O on the 3rd Sept, day sailing with cabin, free meals, £121.50 booked through the CMC.

When I looked at the P&O direct prices it would have been worth joining the CMC if only to get their discount, especially for a return crossing.

We are not using a return but travelling to Roscoff via Cork courtesy of BF and the Pont Aven.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We're just back after about 4 weeks going down the West coast from Galway. Used 3 sites, all good but yes, expensive. But also a number of Britstops and Park4nights.
Great trip, lovely scenery and people. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You need to check days fir travelling.
Some are cheaper at weekends and others midweek, depending when the lorries use them
I book directly with Stenna on their website a flex ticket, so i can change free online. Used direct ferries once. Never again as they charge to change even on a flex ticket
Have done Cairnryan and birkenhead.
Worth looking on internet fir any discount codes, and if you're a club member.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back