Thinking of fitting black tank instead of cassette. (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
We’ve got the standard Thetford cassette which lasts a couple of days or longer if just the Memsahib and me. Emptying is a bit of a pain.

Having had a couple of US/Canadian RV holidays, I like the black tank solution.

I’m scoping out retro-fitting one in place of the cassette. I’ve searched the threads but not really found anyone who has done this.

I’m thinking of:

• an underslung tank, maybe 60l, or a bit more depending on clearance undneath the van.
  • No SOG
  • A macerator/pump on the outlet, so,that small bore hose can be used and above ground dump points.
  • I’m undecided on an inlet macerator too, but probably makes sense.
Was looking at this pump and tank.

Amazon product ASIN B075QYVKMB
I’m a bit concerned at the hozelock connector for the outlet though. It will need to be well macerated to flow well through that restriction.

Amazon product ASIN B00HVF2NV6

I reckon I can do this for around £200ish - tank for £100, pump/macerator £70, hose and connectors £30-50. Obviously a bit more if I have both macerators.

Anyone done this? Any thoughts / advice?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Need an exhaust vent to the roof I believe.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of work and not as convenient to empty as a cassette, you can empty a cassette every where, we were on a pub stop the other week and someone parked over the septic tank cover so just emptied the cassette back at home.
you can't do that with a tank, we carry a spare cassette too so double the capacity.
If you think emptying a cassette is a bit of a pain then wait til you get a tank, so much easier to just walk somewhere with something in your hand than mess about finding somewhere to empty a tank.
We have a septic tank at home and I wouldn't fancy driving into the field to empty a tank, Rocky and rutted all over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A lot of work and not as convenient to empty as a cassette,

Gravity dumping a large tank in one go is much more convenient than messing with a small cassette everyday. But where you can’t gravity dump, you can peel off just a couple gallons at a time into a small cassette and dump it everyday just like you do.. So a large tank is more convenient all round (y)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We’ve got the standard Thetford cassette which lasts a couple of days or longer if just the Memsahib and me. Emptying is a bit of a pain.

Having had a couple of US/Canadian RV holidays, I like the black tank solution.

I’m scoping out retro-fitting one in place of the cassette. I’ve searched the threads but not really found anyone who has done this.

I’m thinking of:

• an underslung tank, maybe 60l, or a bit more depending on clearance undneath the van.
  • No SOG
  • A macerator/pump on the outlet, so,that small bore hose can be used and above ground dump points.
  • I’m undecided on an inlet macerator too, but probably makes sense.
Was looking at this pump and tank.

Amazon product ASIN B075QYVKMB
I’m a bit concerned at the hozelock connector for the outlet though. It will need to be well macerated to flow well through that restriction.

Amazon product ASIN B00HVF2NV6

I reckon I can do this for around £200ish - tank for £100, pump/macerator £70, hose and connectors £30-50. Obviously a bit more if I have both macerators.

Anyone done this? Any thoughts / advice?
The hozelock on the macerator is for back flushing the tank/pipe, not waste disposal.

Craig

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
A lot of work and not as convenient to empty as a cassette, you can empty a cassette every where, we were on a pub stop the other week and someone parked over the septic tank cover so just emptied the cassette back at home.
you can't do that with a tank, we carry a spare cassette too so double the capacity.
If you think emptying a cassette is a bit of a pain then wait til you get a tank, so much easier to just walk somewhere with something in your hand than mess about finding somewhere to empty a tank.
We have a septic tank at home and I wouldn't fancy driving into the field to empty a tank, Rocky and rutted all over.

On RVs I found a pumped dump very easy. Granted, North America is better set up than Europe.

Which is why I was thinking of a macerator pump on the outlet, so I could use smaller bore hose. Pumps I was looking at could raise 3m through something as narrow as maybe an inch. With 25m of hose and 3m lift I reckon I could dump on any site pretty much. And then run grey through the hose to flush.

We have septic tank at home. Currently I have to lift every inspection cover on a manhole every time I want to empty the cassette at home. With a tank/hose I could just pop into a suitable access with out lifting anything.

Last edited:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I can’t advise on fitting but would say that a black tank is the best and most convenient way to dispose of waste. We have a large one and go for many days without the need to empty. You don’t necessarily have to park over a drain as the hose attachments make dumping possible, except of course uphill :)

OP
OP
Glas Robin
Jun 2, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
I can’t advise on fitting but would say that a black tanks is the best and most convenient way to dispose of waste. We have a large one and go for many days without the need to empty. You don’t necessarily have to park over a drain as the hose attachments make dumping possible, except of course uphill :)

Which is where a pump would help...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Macerators are great when they work, I once dumped tanks to an Elsan point that was 50m away, slightly downhill. But when they go wrong, and they will, it's rather more than a tad inconvenient. Think of a 30m 1 inch wide toothpaste tube and you want to squeeze every bit of paste from it. Then imagine that it's not paste you are pushing along the tube! Not pleasant, nor is stripping down the macerator to see what stopped it. Now if I can't gravity dump I use a Fiamma 40L roller, it has waste connections so you can fill it with no splashes or mess. It does a great job disposing of black and grey (y)

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
How about swapping your existing loo out for the Dometic loo with a built in macerator.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
On RVs I found a pumped dump very easy. Granted, North America is better set up than Europe.

Which is why I was thinking of a macerator pump on the outlet, so I could use smaller bore hose. Pumps I was looking at could raise 3m through something as narrow as maybe an inch. With 25m of hose and 3m lift I reckon I could dump on any site pretty much. And then run grey through the hose to flush.

We have septic tank at home. Currently I have to lift every inspection cover on a manhole every time I want to empty the cassette at home. With a tank/hose I could just pop into a suitable access with out lifting anything.
Dont you have an outside loo?

Great thread btw.
Jon

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Macerators are great when they work, I once dumped tanks to an Elsan point that was 50m away, slightly downhill. But when they go wrong, and they will, it's rather more than a tad inconvenient. Think of a 30m 1 inch wide toothpaste tube and you want to squeeze every bit of paste from it. Then imagine that it's not paste you are pushing along the tube! Not pleasant, nor is stripping down the macerator to see what stopped it. Now if I can't gravity dump I use a Fiamma 40L roller, it has waste connections so you can fill it with no splashes or mess. It does a great job disposing of black and grey (y)

This looks like a good idea?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

I too refuse to use a macerator any more after an incident, where a family friend (non camper) flushed tampons into the holding tank. It seems the string is very tough, tougher that my macerator! It was a bad day

So I too use a rolley dump for the odd time I can’t gravity dump, so have the best of both worlds

No daily commute carrying a plastic pot of poo, just and occasional drive over dump, or, a poo run with my pot

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Need an exhaust vent to the roof I believe.
None on mine.
So do I along with an outside toilet .I just dump in to buckets & dispose that way. I suppose I am fortunate that there is a good 16"(40cm) distance between ground & sideskirt
I assumed so, to support aerobic digestion and prevent pressure build up. But I’ve seen posts on here suggesting factory-fitted vans without.

Can anyone confirm.
Yes mine is a factory fitted one piece Thetford toilet & black tank.There is no vent pipe.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
That's what I have, works a treat. But, as Jim says, it will at some point stop working, then you have to sort through the 'Richards' to fault find. Yuk! I run a bit of grey waste through it first, to make sure it's working, and it also lubricates the system, followed by the black waste, then the rest of the grey.

Craig

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I’ll be honest I can’t think of much worse than having to decant s**t from a tank into a bucket ?

At least a cassette is sealed until the moment of the expulsion ?

But no doubt dumping a big tank over a mongols or similar is more convenient ?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Maybe... My comment about uphill was meant tongue in cheek. All I can say is that we have never had any issues dumping our waste anywhere. We have a marine toilet, a Jabsco. Our system was factory fitted and I don’t think it has a vent anywhere.
I think you will find it has , immediately above the Loo on roof a small cap type thingy, was on my Charisma and current Carver.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I've showed this image previously, here's my set up for moving my waste unto 30m if nessasary.
IMG_1510.JPG

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The black tank is more viable the bigger it is , other wise cassette . A black tank dump is not something you want to be doing every couple of days particularly if its a macerator dump . IMHO .
If you go black tank retrofit , then rig it so grey dumps thru same hose. :)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What I miss most from my RV macerating days is the social gathering, it seems emptying a cassette is a rather private affair, however get out the macerator and pipes open up the manhole and voila instant social gathering of shit connoisseurs
Tell me I ain't telling the truth lol

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Indeed Jim and I had thr plesure of a re run in a French air were he not only covered himself but the stainless steel water and hook up unit and a couple of Frenchmen to boot
Laugh I nearly died

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back