Thinking of buying a fairly old MH ie Pilote 2001 (1 Viewer)

Sollbags

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
New to motor homes
Buying from dealer with full guarantee and Mot. I am concerned that we could be in for problems but who knows it's 17000 and 50,000 mikes on clock. Living quarters looks good not been knocked about .Can't really afford new .Any advice out there?we are new to this but have had caravans in the distant past

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
2001 aint old, 1992 is (sort of)
And at 50k barely run in about 2770 klicks a year

Put your own stamp on it, fit what ever nic nacs you think will make your life comfortable, tiz yours enjoy it .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
First of all remember it's a vehicle first and living accommodation second. Would you buy a 17 year old car (other than a classic marque)? Get the underside checked out, I've seen way too many in the last couple of years that people have bought because the hab side is immaculate, what they didn't consider is the chassis is old and sadly, in many cases rusty. Earlier this year I had to spend quite a few hours on weld repairs to a 2002 HYMER that had been bought on the strength of the hab bits being in excellent condition. Don't get caught out and don't just rely on the mot, if that dealer puts a lot of vehicles to the testing station they maybe don't pick up on all the rusty chassis bits. If you can't get down and look for yourself either take a friend who can or get an independent inspection done.

D.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We bought a 1991 Micro Mini Winniebago dirt cheap to see if we enjoyed the life. It took us to Poland and back....with a two day hiatus in Germany to fit a new alternator, and a fan belt in Poland.....this despite an MOT and service prior to setting off. However, we had a great time. Really enjoyed ourselves. We sold it a year later (it was a bit of @ leaky rust bucket and too big a job for us to renovate her. We bought a
Rapido, 2006 which we adore.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sollbags

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
New to motor homes
Hi and welcome. Check its MOT history online and take a damp meter and test it for damp. Use your eyes and nose too. Good luck.

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I've got a fiat based 2001 pilote galaxy which was waxoiled from new chassis is in excellent condition van is very good overall no signs of damp or smells - bought privately though 30% cheaper than dealer offerings and a lot better cond.

Only probs i have had was 5th gear satellite housing started to leak oil and an omni travel vent cover allowed rain to blow in when windy - van had been serviced with a new timing belt prior to purchase with receipts.

There is a lot of rubbish out there at that age and also some very good vehicles do your checks underneath and damp check inside to save a lot of expense.

Very happy with mine at the moment and would advise caution get independant inspection done if unsure or walk away cost a bit but could save a big expense on repairs

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Check insurers. Some are fussy about the age of a mh.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sollbags

Free Member
Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
New to motor homes
I've got a fiat based 2001 pilote galaxy which was waxoiled from new chassis is in excellent condition van is very good overall no signs of damp or smells - bought privately though 30% cheaper than dealer offerings and a lot better cond.

Only probs i have had was 5th gear satellite housing started to leak oil and an omni travel vent cover allowed rain to blow in when windy - van had been serviced with a new timing belt prior to purchase with receipts.

There is a lot of rubbish out there at that age and also some very good vehicles do your checks underneath and damp check inside to save a lot of expense.

Very happy with mine at the moment and would advise caution get independant inspection done if unsure or walk away cost a bit but could save a big expense on repairs

Upvote 0

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Hi
I,ve a 2007 Dethleffs 7014 in classifieds at @ £24450, based Wakefield if you fancy a look.
Jim

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi, @Sollbags. You have now had your 5 free posts and can only post further if you subscribe to MHF (only £15 a year and you can save a fortune by absorbing the information that you will receive when you ask further questions - and you will have further questions, for sure) then you will be able to download (free) The Motorhomer Buyer's Guide. It's a great book with all the information that you need on buying.

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Ours is an 02 Neismann & Bischoff Flair on an Iveco chassis. The underneath is immaculate, interior condition very good. Built to last in those days. You can find them that have been looked after. Always best to check though. It has a low dose of all the electronic stuff, but that suits us cause we prefer basic and low tech. Less stuff to go wrong.

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We sometimes wonder why we keep buying things that need a computer to fix, I'm sure you will be very happy with your motorhome, our first one was 10 years old and we never worried about where we went, in fact probably more adventurous then than we are now. :LOL:

We have just purchased an A 2 B car here in spain a 2002 Opel Corsa 178000km
2 private owners from new full service history at the main dealer we bought from with full itv and 6 months warranty cheap as chips. :LOL:
It lives on the street and the Spanish can dent it and we are not bothered . :whistle: :LOL: Bob.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back