The top down method of lighting a wood burner (1 Viewer)

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
I've never thought much about the methods of lighting my wood burner. I just load the wood in, and blast it with a plumber's blow torch until I get some nice flames. I've just watched this video, and it has made me realise that maybe I should be a bit more scientific in my approach.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for that, it made interesting viewing & I will be trying that method next time!

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
What a lot of old B*****ks and kindling.
The secret is to have the logs very dry. I never use kindling now. Paper starts the main logs straight away. But I do have a properly designed stove with an under air-supply for starting and a heated over supply for running.

My tip for choosing a log burner is look inside one that has been used it should be clean, any sign of soot in a no-no.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
What a lot of old B*****ks and kindling.
The secret is to have the logs very dry. I never use kindling now. Paper starts the main logs straight away. But I do have a properly designed stove with an under air-supply for starting and a heated over supply for running.

My tip for choosing a log burner is look inside one that has been used it should be clean, any sign of soot in a no-no.
Aren't they all properly designed?? Or is that a silly question?

All I know is that after not lighting mine for a few months I had a heck of a job & the video seemed to make sense - if it works then I'll be happy.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
the 'jenga' suggestion is exactly the same method used in fire testing of building materials etc in order to determine their fire resistance. its known as a 'crib'.

the suggestion that wood burns from the top is not factually correct as the thing that burns are the gases released by an object at a certain temperature.

i would also suggest leaving the door partially open AND unattended is asking for trouble

... but hey, what would i know ....

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Mines a Dursley as we had to comply with the clean air restrictions that our LA have in place, another reason was that our friends have the larger 16kw version which runs all of their radiators and they were really pleased with it.

They never have any problems lighting it so I put it down to my inexperience & impatience as I often just end up flicking the thermostat up to get the radiators to kick in?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Interesting way of doing it.

But I don’t do fire lighters and found a use for a relatives discarded Daily Mail papers ?

I use kindling as I get all mine foc being a chippy ?

I’m also a plumbers torch user but it’s to warm the top plate inside ?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
That’s exactly how I light both of ours, dry kindling and wood is the secret of no smoke. When he says “leave the door open” it’s only a crack and hot embers are unlikely to do any harm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
A bit like MHs there are all designed but some are of a better design than others.

So true we have 2 Clearview log burners both are 15 years old used daily in colder months as our house has no cavity walls just solid 9 inch brickwork

Both are still like new and both have under air system and work very very well not cheap but obviously standing the test of time.

Plus we live right on the edge of a smokeless zone but mine burn so cleanly I have a certificate saying I can burn fuel not allowed in a smokeless zone

OP
OP
Wild Brambles

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Most of my knowledge of fires was based on coal fires, bonfires, and houses being burnt down in Walton-on-Thames to make insurance claims to build blocks of flats. I started to get interested in wood burning when I saw a wood gas powered tractor that had been imported from Australia. This was at a vintage fair, and I wish I had been able to spend more time with the owner. I have also watched videos about building wood gas burning cookers. As a result of all this, here is my (probably ill informed ) opinion of the situation.

Fossils fuels such as coal burn from the bottom up. There are two components in wood burning - the wood gas, and the wood fibre. The gas creates most of the heat, and the fibre creates the ash. In order to release the gas, the wood should ideally have a moisture content of around 10%. Less than this causes the wood to burn quickly, and just create the ash. Because the gas is the important element, the fire burns from the top down, and it needs a hot chimney to draw the gas to the top of the fire. It also needs hot ash and embers to release the gas.

Perhaps members with a greater scientific knowledge could comment on my self-taught opinion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back