The Six Career Strategies - which one are you? (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
And like the proverbial good plumber, a good consultant will get repeat work on recommendation alone and will have to turn people down due to a full diary.

At the risk of upsetting a few cherished apple carts, my other half was a teacher (groan, can't do, so teaches) for 15 years including time in senior leadership and advisory work. When she got fed up with her boss she handed her notice in with no other job to go to and set up a consultancy business (what?! a teacher going into business? Don't make me laugh). Now nearly ten years further down the line she has headteachers praising her for helping to guide them to good Inspection reports, has classroom teachers greeting her like an old friend (surely not, consultants know nothing relevant to the troops), and has student teachers eating out of her hand when she trains them. Most of her work is repeat work and she has so much of it she has to turn people away just to have a breather. She's worked all over the country. She still works directly with children in the classroom in a spin off business venture (no, no, heresy, teachers can't do business, and consultants never go on the shop floor) that we set up together and it's doing very nicely thank you. She doesn't get on with everybody - she has tough days in schools where some staff, usually middle-aged and set in their ways, are resistant to change and/or are being badly led and misdirected by their managers. She has enough happy clients to not bother returning to such places.

Like everybody I've been on hopeless training days with hopeless consultants and tedious trainers and endless sodding Powerpoints during my career. I've also been on some bloody excellent ones with people whom I've found inspiring. There's good and bad in every line of work. :)
Kinda proves my point- she is obviously good at overcoming complacent inertia, which is a real challenge. Thanks (y)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The modern need for consultants says more about the people who are doing jobs than the consultants , they are obviously doing a job that is above their capability, which shows a lack of education and or training in their relevant field . Which it would appear the consultant has if it works , or doesn't if the whole exercise achieves nothing .
Its the same with the "we will learn lessons" that is trotted out when the proverbial has hit the fan , the position these persons are in should , have been achieved thru being suitably qualified, rather than being seen as a training post .

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The modern need for consultants says more about the people who are doing jobs than the consultants , they are obviously doing a job that is above their capability, which shows a lack of education and or training in their relevant field . Which it would appear the consultant has if it works , or doesn't if the whole exercise achieves nothing .
Its the same with the "we will learn lessons" that is trotted out when the proverbial has hit the fan , the position these persons are in should , have been achieved thru being suitably qualified, rather than being seen as a training post .

Don't forget that when corporations are looking to expand into something slightly different, or are considering a merger or an acquisition, then they will want to find out as much as possible about not only their target company/market but also the current and likely future market conditions as an integral part of their due diligence process, which is fairly probably outside their sphere of detailed knowledge. This is where someone with a detailed knowledge is extremely useful. Cue the consultant ........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
been Black probably now Purple but depends on the crap I am putting up with. Mosto f us in work though can't just take off and do what we like.....

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You have it the wrong way round. You consult consultants, they don't consult you.

Oh, right. So you consult someone and he tells you how to do your job and charges you loadsa money for the privilege. Yeh, I get that :censored:. Not unlike money advisers. I may be wrong, but surely if they knew how to make money better than anyone else would they not keep it to themselves ?.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back