The Muse's Odyssey into Pasty Land ....

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by cliffandger, Dec 6, 2017.

1. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +13,705
    Well My Funster Family Friends we have set off on our annual pre Madness (Christmas) trip - this time to Kernow aka Cornish Pasty Land.

Our Little 'Un at 26 has returned home for the last year of his degree in Mental Health Nursing. He and his girlfriend Catie (whose already earning her pay as a Biological Scientist) realised after 2 years of renting that the only way to save for a house deposit would be to go back to their respective Ma and Pa.

He didn't come alone .... all the crap he left with + 7 black bags of clothes and he's in. Unfortunately he has a 6000 word dissertation and 5 assignments over the next year and GUESS WHAT???!!! His laptop has chosen this inopportune time to break down!!! He was told in no uncertain terms to purchase the laptop in my name, from Tesco, so it at least it contributes to our next Chunnel trip !

£200 lighter and we're off! Setting off on time (1.30 - when we were scheduled for a 10.30 departure) we have arrived at our first stop - beautiful Appledore in North Devon.

It's drizzly raining - we sat through a 2 hour queue (new traffic controls into Bideford - avoid at all costs), and we are parked up overlooking the sea (which is very loud), a fiver a night - tea cooked - quick drink in local pub and now in van watching the Apprentice - LIFE DONT GET NO BETTER - photos to follow tomorrow xx

• Like it Like it x 14
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 5
    • Love it Love it x 1
  2. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +46,057
    Have a lovely time, stay safe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Ratings:
    +58,927
    Enjoy your mini break! Hope you’ve got your ukulele!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +14,788
    Have a great time Ger, stay safe in this storm x

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Ratings:
    +7,467
    Have a great time. :xThumb:

(I was in Bideford the day before arriving at Pembrey. I'm sure you'll remember the rant about a 7 hour journey! :eek:They too have a £5 per night on some of their car parks.)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Debs

Debs Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +38,617
    Have a lovely trip Ger & looking forward to pics:xsmile:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +5,629
    Sounds nice Geraldine. Hope the weather doesn't get too stormy for you though. Where are you stopping?

8. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,907
    Lovely part of the country, I would imagine Tintagel is quite dramatic at this time of year just down from where you are now, I’m sure you know but the car park right in the centre of Tintagel is the English equivalent of an Aire and pretty cheap.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. cliffandger

Ratings:
    +13,705
    It's our next stop after the Padstow Christmas Festival Simon @dabhand :xThumb:

• Like it Like it x 1
  10. cliffandger

Ratings:
    +13,705
    Well it's brass monkey weather down here in Padstow, but we've met up with my ukey mate Dave and his family, wandered around the Festival, didn't buy a woolly hat and walked to Wadebridge along the Camel trail today.

We saw some birds as we walked the trail .....

IMG_2047.JPG
    It was a Curlew/Oyster Catcher/bird with a long pointy beak ..... and

IMG_2048.JPG
    A bird with a tufty head .....

I know what you're all thinking - 'crikey I wish I was so knowledgeable about ornithology and a wonderful photographer to boot ...'

Back at van now making chicken curry before walking into Padstow tonight to watch a band at The London Inn and then onto Tintagel tomorrow.

Will update from King Arthur's gaff tomorrow .....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
  11. cliffandger

Ratings:
    +13,705
    Well Funster Friends - Tintagel was bloody windy! A brilliant overnight stop, £4 for 24 hours - it's a lovely feeling knowing you're allowed to stay overnight.

We started to walk to Arthur's gaff (allegedly) but were stopped mid 200ish steps by the English Heritage ticket booth..... looking over at the remaining 100 steps to what looked like a replica of Sand Point (which we walk every week for free...) we turned around and beat a hasty retreat - but not before taking a photo ...
    IMG_2049.JPG

We wanted to keep to the theme so we stopped off on the way home at the King Arthur Inn. A massive pub that was empty apart from us and a young couple with a gorgeous baby girl. What a shame she was ignored in favour of this ......

IMG_2057.JPG
    Not the actual mum but you get my drift ....

We had an horrendous night in the van - it was rockin but for all the wrong reasons! :eek: Let's just say the car park is a tad exposed .......

We moved off bleary eyed to Mevagissey which fortuitously had a Christmas event at The Lost Gardens of Heligan. With a free Park and Ride bus to boot!

£2 each with entry into the gardens included! It was gorgeous - the rhododendrons are HUGE!!!! and the misty, murky 'jungle' at the bottom of the estate was just lovely.

Making a date to return in the Spring to see it in all it's glory we caught the bus back and are now off into Mevagissey for tea before Strictly and Im a Celebrity- talking of which ...
    IMG_0108.JPG

I'm just off to do a Bush Tukker Trial - hopefully pasties are on the menu ...

Mevagissey is very dark and dank ...
    IMG_2055.PNG

Catch up tomorrow x

• Like it Like it x 5
    • Love it Love it x 5
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  12. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Ratings:
    +58,927
    Enjoy your pasty and do they have carrots or not?!!

• Like it Like it x 1
  13. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +11,296
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Ratings:
    +7,387
    Hi Ger,
    Love that part of Cornwall, our son lives just down the road at Gorran Haven ,so always visit Heligan.
    Glad yo're enjoying your mini hol.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. davanne

davanne Funster

Ratings:
    +9,751
    No snow Ger we can send you some if you like:xrofl:

• Love it Love it x 2
  16. cliffandger

Ratings:
    +13,705
    We passed the campsite Janine and it looks good, but £3 per night in the car park right in town, in the winter, is brilliant.

The whole of Cornwall (or the bits we've seen, has been VERY quiet - much like any French Town - deserted! Padstow has been the only town with any atmosphere - but mainly because it was hosting a Christmas Festival with a host of top TV chefs to draw the punters in ...

Hi Anthea - yes, carrots, potatoes and swede - blimmin gorgeous, every one ..

Hi Terry, We chatted to a couple tonight who live in Gorran Haven. They've lived here for 30 odd years, but still don't consider themselves 'integrated'. I would hate that, but they are just grateful their two grown up kids have been 'accepted'!

Heligan was beautiful in the middle of a dark dank day - the jungle was just amazing - but I am a sucker for ferns ... Looking forward to coming back in the Spring to see the Rhodadendron display!

You're welcome to keep it to yourself Anne! xx

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +22,561
    If you go to that area in the spring try and visit Caerhays Castle http://www.caerhays.co.uk
    It has the national collection of magnolias. But you have to get your timing right! :)

P4120064.JPG

And they have interesting rhododendrons too!

P4120047.JPG

• Like it Like it x 1
  18. tboy

tboy Funster

Ratings:
    +13
    bird with tuft ia a lapwing

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Jammel1980

Jammel1980 Funster

Ratings:
    +57
    Plus the best lamb and mint pasties (in Cornwall we think) we always make a few trips to the bakery on the corner whilst on holiday

• Like it Like it x 2
  20. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +22,561
    Nice one. At first glance, given it is on a beach, I thought it was an Oystersnatcher :) but after a bit of reading I discovered Lapwings winter down there and visit the coast. Plus of course the tufty bit is a good clue. :)