The Muse's Odyssey into Pasty Land .... (1 Viewer)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well My Funster Family Friends we have set off on our annual pre Madness (Christmas) trip - this time to Kernow aka Cornish Pasty Land.

Our Little 'Un at 26 has returned home for the last year of his degree in Mental Health Nursing. He and his girlfriend Catie (whose already earning her pay as a Biological Scientist) realised after 2 years of renting that the only way to save for a house deposit would be to go back to their respective Ma and Pa.

He didn't come alone .... all the crap he left with + 7 black bags of clothes and he's in. Unfortunately he has a 6000 word dissertation and 5 assignments over the next year and GUESS WHAT???!!! His laptop has chosen this inopportune time to break down!!! He was told in no uncertain terms to purchase the laptop in my name, from Tesco, so it at least it contributes to our next Chunnel trip !

£200 lighter and we're off! Setting off on time (1.30 - when we were scheduled for a 10.30 departure) we have arrived at our first stop - beautiful Appledore in North Devon.

It's drizzly raining - we sat through a 2 hour queue (new traffic controls into Bideford - avoid at all costs), and we are parked up overlooking the sea (which is very loud), a fiver a night - tea cooked - quick drink in local pub and now in van watching the Apprentice - LIFE DONT GET NO BETTER - photos to follow tomorrow xx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Enjoy your mini break! Hope you’ve got your ukulele!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Have a great time Ger, stay safe in this storm x

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Have a great time. :xThumb:

(I was in Bideford the day before arriving at Pembrey. I'm sure you'll remember the rant about a 7 hour journey! :eek:They too have a £5 per night on some of their car parks.)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have a lovely trip Ger & looking forward to pics:xsmile:

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Lovely part of the country, I would imagine Tintagel is quite dramatic at this time of year just down from where you are now, I’m sure you know but the car park right in the centre of Tintagel is the English equivalent of an Aire and pretty cheap.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
It's our next stop after the Padstow Christmas Festival Simon @dabhand :xThumb:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well it's brass monkey weather down here in Padstow, but we've met up with my ukey mate Dave and his family, wandered around the Festival, didn't buy a woolly hat and walked to Wadebridge along the Camel trail today.

We saw some birds as we walked the trail .....

IMG_2047.JPG

It was a Curlew/Oyster Catcher/bird with a long pointy beak ..... and

IMG_2048.JPG

A bird with a tufty head .....

I know what you're all thinking - 'crikey I wish I was so knowledgeable about ornithology and a wonderful photographer to boot ...'

Back at van now making chicken curry before walking into Padstow tonight to watch a band at The London Inn and then onto Tintagel tomorrow.

Will update from King Arthur's gaff tomorrow .....

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well Funster Friends - Tintagel was bloody windy! A brilliant overnight stop, £4 for 24 hours - it's a lovely feeling knowing you're allowed to stay overnight.

We started to walk to Arthur's gaff (allegedly) but were stopped mid 200ish steps by the English Heritage ticket booth..... looking over at the remaining 100 steps to what looked like a replica of Sand Point (which we walk every week for free...) we turned around and beat a hasty retreat - but not before taking a photo ...
IMG_2049.JPG

We wanted to keep to the theme so we stopped off on the way home at the King Arthur Inn. A massive pub that was empty apart from us and a young couple with a gorgeous baby girl. What a shame she was ignored in favour of this ......

IMG_2057.JPG

Not the actual mum but you get my drift ....

We had an horrendous night in the van - it was rockin but for all the wrong reasons! :eek: Let's just say the car park is a tad exposed .......

We moved off bleary eyed to Mevagissey which fortuitously had a Christmas event at The Lost Gardens of Heligan. With a free Park and Ride bus to boot!

£2 each with entry into the gardens included! It was gorgeous - the rhododendrons are HUGE!!!! and the misty, murky 'jungle' at the bottom of the estate was just lovely.

Making a date to return in the Spring to see it in all it's glory we caught the bus back and are now off into Mevagissey for tea before Strictly and Im a Celebrity- talking of which ...
IMG_0108.JPG

I'm just off to do a Bush Tukker Trial - hopefully pasties are on the menu ...

Mevagissey is very dark and dank ...
IMG_2055.PNG

Catch up tomorrow x

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well Funster Friends - Tintagel was bloody windy! A brilliant overnight stop, £4 for 24 hours - it's a lovely feeling knowing you're allowed to stay overnight.

We started to walk to Arthur's gaff (allegedly) but were stopped mid 200ish steps by the English Heritage ticket booth..... looking over at the remaining 100 steps to what looked like a replica of Sand Point (which we walk every week for free...) we turned around and beat a hasty retreat - but not before taking a photo ...
View attachment 201181

We wanted to keep to the theme so we stopped off on the way home at the King Arthur Inn. A massive pub that was empty apart from us and a young couple with a gorgeous baby girl. What a shame she was ignored in favour of this ......

View attachment 201185

We had an horrendous night in the van - it was rockin but for all the wrong reasons! :eek: Let's just say the car park is a tad exposed .......

We moved off bleary eyed to Mevagissey which fortuitously had a Christmas event at The Lost Gardens of Heligan. With a free Park and Ride bus to boot!

£2 each with entry into the gardens included! It was gorgeous - the rhododendrons are HUGE!!!! and the misty, murky 'jungle' at the bottom of the estate was just lovely.

Making a date to return in the Spring to see it in all it's glory we caught the bus back and are now off into Mevagissey for tea before Strictly and Im a Celebrity- talking of which ...
View attachment 201182

View attachment 201183

Catch up tomorrow x
Enjoy your pasty and do they have carrots or not?!!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Ger,
Love that part of Cornwall, our son lives just down the road at Gorran Haven ,so always visit Heligan.
Glad yo're enjoying your mini hol.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988

View attachment 201181

View attachment 201185

View attachment 201182

View attachment 201183

Catch up tomorrow x
No snow Ger we can send you some if you like:xrofl:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
The campsite at Heligan is lovely n the summer - www.heligancampsite.com
We passed the campsite Janine and it looks good, but £3 per night in the car park right in town, in the winter, is brilliant.

The whole of Cornwall (or the bits we've seen, has been VERY quiet - much like any French Town - deserted! Padstow has been the only town with any atmosphere - but mainly because it was hosting a Christmas Festival with a host of top TV chefs to draw the punters in ...

Enjoy your pasty and do they have carrots or not?!!

Hi Anthea - yes, carrots, potatoes and swede - blimmin gorgeous, every one ..

Hi Ger,
Love that part of Cornwall, our son lives just down the road at Gorran Haven ,so always visit Heligan.
Glad yo're enjoying your mini hol.

Hi Terry, We chatted to a couple tonight who live in Gorran Haven. They've lived here for 30 odd years, but still don't consider themselves 'integrated'. I would hate that, but they are just grateful their two grown up kids have been 'accepted'!

Heligan was beautiful in the middle of a dark dank day - the jungle was just amazing - but I am a sucker for ferns ... Looking forward to coming back in the Spring to see the Rhodadendron display!

No snow Ger we can send you some if you like:xrofl:

You're welcome to keep it to yourself Anne! xx

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Heligan was beautiful in the middle of a dark dank day - the jungle was just amazing - but I am a sucker for ferns ... Looking forward to coming back in the Spring to see the Rhodadendron display!
If you go to that area in the spring try and visit Caerhays Castle http://www.caerhays.co.uk
It has the national collection of magnolias. But you have to get your timing right! :)

P4120064.JPG

And they have interesting rhododendrons too!

P4120047.JPG

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
bird with tuft ia a lapwing

Jammel1980

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hockley
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Top Driver 68
Exp
Lovely part of the country, I would imagine Tintagel is quite dramatic at this time of year just down from where you are now, I’m sure you know but the car park right in the centre of Tintagel is the English equivalent of an Aire and pretty cheap.

Plus the best lamb and mint pasties (in Cornwall we think) we always make a few trips to the bakery on the corner whilst on holiday

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
bird with tuft ia a lapwing
Nice one. At first glance, given it is on a beach, I thought it was an Oystersnatcher :) but after a bit of reading I discovered Lapwings winter down there and visit the coast. Plus of course the tufty bit is a good clue. :)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Plus the best lamb and mint pasties (in Cornwall we think) we always make a few trips to the bakery on the corner whilst on holiday
Forgot about those, your quite right they’re brill:xThumb:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well Friends we've had a 'driving day' today. We left Mevagissey and drove to Gorran Haven for our 3 mile walk. What a beautiful little seaside village it is.

Tiny cottages in almost vertical alleyways, alongside Grand Design clifftop single storey mansions.

The church was tiny, but beautiful ...
IMG_2058.JPG

We had a gorgeous blue sky...
IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

I didn't record photographically the new build mansions - but they are huge, albeit single storey ....

Blue point was particularly 'bungalowish'...
<Broken link removed>

We then drove to Looe, and had a Pasty and coffee for lunch - the one with the most meat, but by the indigestion suffered, also the most sugar!

We drove to Falmouth where we had hoped to park up in the Coach Park - which was nowhere to be found - so have moved onto Marazion where we hope to walk to St Michaels Mount tomorrow.

Ive heard there's scaffolding in place - so just another ruined photo opportunity for me - nothing new there then..... :xsad:

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another lovely day here in Pasty Land, although I think I've had my fill of the hearty snack - The last time I had indigestion like this was 27 years ago - Our Little 'Un is 26 - you do the maths!

The tide was well and truly in so there was no walking over to St Michaels Mount so we walked around Marazion instead ....
IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2082.JPG

... before driving to St Just for a coffee (and Pasty) break and a walk to Cape Cornwall.

IMG_2086.JPG

This is the Coastal Watch Station - there must have been a bloke on watch - it was bloody windy and bloody freezing - and the door was open!! :xeek:

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

We had no idea what this column was ....

IMG_2099.JPG

This was our view from the van - it made the Pasty taste even better !

We travel home tomorrow - uke group calls (for me), the darts match before Christmas - so the supper will be mega - calls (for him), and we have a great nephew's wedding on the 22nd and I've already bought the dress - so the end of The Pasty Odyssey and the start of the week of starvation beckons ... :xsad:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Another lovely day here in Pasty Land, although I think I've had my fill of the hearty snack - The last time I had indigestion like this was 27 years ago - Our Little 'Un is 26 - you do the maths!

The tide was well and truly in so there was no walking over to St Michaels Mount so we walked around Marazion instead ....
View attachment 201628
View attachment 201629

... before driving to St Just for a coffee (and Pasty) break and a walk to Cape Cornwall.

View attachment 201630
This is the Coastal Watch Station - there must have been a bloke on watch - it was bloody windy and bloody freezing - and the door was open!! :xeek:

View attachment 201631
View attachment 201632

View attachment 201633

We travel home tomorrow - uke group calls (for me), the darts match before Christmas - so the supper will be mega - calls (for him), and we have a great nephew's wedding on the 22nd and I've already bought the dress - so the end of The Pasty Odyssey and the start of the week of starvation beckons ... :xsad:
Loving the trip and photos thanks for sharing and are you all pastied out!!( were there carrots?!!)
Rather sorry to see no relic pictures as although they sometimes make me skirm they are strangely fascinating?!!!
Safe travels home.

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lovely pics!

Errrmmm...about the indigestion...you're not - you know - like you were 35 years ago, are you? :xeek:
27 years ago Janine - And definitely not! Although it did involve meat and two veg....... :xrofl:

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

View attachment 201628
View attachment 201629

View attachment 201630

View attachment 201631
View attachment 201632

View attachment 201633

H J Heinz monument.:xThumb:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Cornwall_Mine

OP
OP
cliffanger

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Loving the trip and photos thanks for sharing and are you all pastied out!!( were there carrots?!!)
Rather sorry to see no relic pictures as although they sometimes make me skirm they are strangely fascinating?!!!
Safe travels home.
Hi Anthea. There were definitely carrots! I know what you mean about the absence of relics, but I never venture into a Catholic Church when touring the UK, so you'll just have to make do with these...

A lovely little church in Gorran Haven...
2DADF20C-433E-43FB-BE09-B3A2D3F05C7D.jpeg

A Holly bush outside the public toilet in Gorran Haven....
7319E292-1F9E-4443-8DE0-04386D0C8FF8.jpeg

And finally (and I know it isn't naff enough for us Naff Queens....
87ADB39B-24B2-4203-A2BA-CD5816B87309.jpeg

A Christmas tree decoration!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Anthea. There were definitely carrots! I know what you mean about the absence of relics, but I never venture into a Catholic Church when touring the UK, so you'll just have to make do with these...

A lovely little church in Gorran Haven...
View attachment 201666

A Holly bush outside the public toilet in Gorran Haven....
View attachment 201667

And finally (and I know it isn't naff enough for us Naff Queens....
View attachment 201668

A Christmas tree decoration!
All beautiful!!loving the shell decoration can we start a thing like @mousys pebbles!!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Next time you go to Falmouth, stay on the A39 all the way into Falmouth Until you reach the traffic lights (there should be a large Wine store on the left) Turn LEFT there. down the hill past a Park on the right, till you see ARGOS. About 5-10 metres after ARGOS turn LEFT up a steep hill, 30-40 metres up the hill turn LEFT into the QUARRY Carpark, tiz M/H friendly.
From there you can walk into town OR take a little hopper type bus that will take you to & thro the main drag. The main drag follows the shoreline, so if you pop down onto the Quays (3) you can see the Harbour in all it's glory (3rd best natural Harbour in the world)
In Summer there is a Park and Ride just as you enter Falmouth that also operates a Park & Float if the tide is right.
Ferries from the Prince of Wales Pier (the first you come to) will take you to St Mawes or Flushing.

Hope this helps any Funster thinking of visiting Falmouth, and if you need an native guide I'm only a PM away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back