The French people are so lovely,but........... (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
No,seriously,I actually like the French.
I find them friendly,kind,and helpful. Honest!
OK they may not be very good drivers,but who is?
And generally speaking I find that they like the Brits.
So............why all this crapola on here about how numptie they are (and worse).
Now,tell me what you really think.:hugs::hugs:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
No,seriously,I actually like the French.
I find them friendly,kind,and helpful. Honest!
OK they may not be very good drivers,but who is?
And generally speaking I find that they like the Brits.
So............why all this crapola on here about how numptie they are (and worse).
Now,tell me what you really think.:hugs::hugs:
What I think is that those going on about the French being mumpties are talking out of their rear ends and I just put it down to ignorance or allowing one bad experience to perhaps totally influence attitudes. Generally I find the French friendly and welcoming and sometimes they go to extra lengths to be helpful. The ability to use a few French phrases and a smile makes a big difference they really appreciate it, at least that has been my experience. There will always be numpties in any country and the U.K. certainly has its fair share.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well - we have both always wondered where on earth the complainers find the rude ones, as clearly neither of us has ever been there and we'd like to avoid those places in future. Some of em might not have had a good day anyway - can any of us claim to be joyous 100% of the time? - I know we can't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
I have always found the French great when on holiday and I love the fact they don’t all sit in the middle lane on the motorway.

To deal with them at work is a complete nightmare and one of the worst in Europe.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The problem I have in France is avoiding thick Britain who think they can do any they want. I remember one incident when this shell suited thicko went into a pâtisserie and asked for a sausage roll and was very annoyed when he didn't get one

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Had some lovely sausage rolls in Spain. Don't know what they call them there, don't think I've seen them in France.

Edit. I've never had a shell suit.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are a few on here who just like to moan about others. It could be about anyone: cyclists, folk who use campsite facilities, fill the fresh water tank to the brim, drive too slowly, park too close to them etc., and people like me who moan about the moaners. :)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I had a nasty experience in Picardy several years ago when I led a group of bikers from our local IAM group for their first ever mini tour abroad, everywhere we went we were stared at in an unfriendly fashion, hostile even, we weren’t causing any trouble, just normal touristy things, when we changed into regular clothes and went out for an evening meal, the restaurant closed their doors when they saw us coming, saying they were closed, but other people went in afterwards.
The experience definitely put us off France, and haven’t really been back since.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
They don’t even sell sausage rolls:mad:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We love France and have always found French people to be friendly.

I find that whatever country you’re in making some sort of effort to speak to people in their language is the key. If you make the effort they will too. If you just shout at them in English they won’t. If you can’t be bothered why should they be? I don’t blame them at all for appearing unfriendly or snooty in that situation.

Apart from wales and that silly gibberish they pretend to speak. It’s not a real country and not a real language so none of the above applies there (y):D2

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We like France, the food, the people, the atmosphere, the Aires, etc., etc.!
Mostly the French are very friendly and they will try & help if you try to speak a bit of French. We love the way the kids are, even toddlers will say bonjour!
We had a thunderstorm yesterday, dog was hiding under our van, when I looked for her she wasn’t there...panic....oh no there she was just coming out of next doors French van where she had run to to hide!
We all had a laugh, even the Dutch!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Personally I find them friendlier the further south you go.

In Northern France I find them Les Miserables, but then Northern France is quite a miserable place in my opinion.

I do try to speak the lingo but I never really listened in French lessons. I can ask for a beer, a coffee and an ashtray and the bill but not much else.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I had a nasty experience in Picardy several years ago when I led a group of bikers from our local IAM group for their first ever mini tour abroad, everywhere we went we were stared at in an unfriendly fashion, hostile even, we weren’t causing any trouble, just normal touristy things, when we changed into regular clothes and went out for an evening meal, the restaurant closed their doors when they saw us coming, saying they were closed, but other people went in afterwards.
The experience definitely put us off France, and haven’t really been back since.

Oh heck ... how unpleasant! Shall I invite you... and may be (just may be) make you change your mind!??
You've been very unlucky , and I do understand it put you off. We've got lots of bikers here too. They sometimes give a wrong image of what they really are. Could it be the reason why?... Indeed no idea! It would be a good question to ask on a French Bikers' forum... and I will probably do so!

Deleted User
We have a Mobile Home (Static Caravan) on a large non touring residential site near to La Baule, soon to be around 500 vans, we are now the only UK owners.Over the years we have had a few problems with late night noise, few and far between though, in general we have been made to feel very welcome and most of our immediate neighbours that we know are lovely, friendly people.

To our shame after visiting France for more than 25 years and owning the Static for 11 years we only speak a smattering of French so proper conversations are impossible but we try, and we are always treated with friendliness and respect, which we always try to reciprocate.

We love France, just a pity it's so cold in the Winter.......and expensive

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Oh heck ... how unpleasant! Shall I invite you... and may be (just may be) make you change your mind!??
You've been very unlucky , and I do understand it put you off. We've got lots of bikers here too. They sometimes give a wrong image of what they really are. Could it be the reason why?... Indeed no idea! It would be a good question to ask on a French Bikers' forum... and I will probably do so!
We weren’t acting up, or doing anything out of the ordinary, just tourist things, but it happened all the time in Amiens, and the coastal towns nearby, very disturbing and off putting.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Always found the French very polite, relaxed and friendly. As above, nationality doesn't come into it. So why on holiday do I try to avoid the Brits? Maybe its because I want to feel like i'm in another country?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
After 12 twelve years of “living in France for 6 months each year, following thirty years of touring there we have always found the French to be friendly and helpful.

Police, when asked where to park our motorcycle safely, telling us to park on the pavement outside the Police Station, “It’ll be safe there!”

A motorist flagging us down when we had a problem with a tyre on our trailer. He then led us almost 15 kilometres to a tyre firm that he knew stayed open late.

A resident knocking on our motorhome door to see if we would like some of their surplus apples from their garden, free!

There are many other examples too.

We have probably met four or five French people during that time that we wouldn’t want as friends, but likewise with British.

The remedy is simple. If you decide you don’t like France or the French don’t go there. Leave it for us that do.:whistle::france:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Seriously though, why don't they sell sausage rolls?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Seriously though, why don't they sell sausage rolls?
You can get a thing called a feuilleté de porc, which is supposedly close to what we call a sausage roll - haven’t tried them myself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back