The French people are so lovely,but........... (1 Viewer)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I had a nasty experience in Picardy several years ago when I led a group of bikers from our local IAM group for their first ever mini tour abroad, everywhere we went we were stared at in an unfriendly fashion, hostile even, we weren’t causing any trouble, just normal touristy things, when we changed into regular clothes and went out for an evening meal, the restaurant closed their doors when they saw us coming, saying they were closed, but other people went in afterwards.
The experience definitely put us off France, and haven’t really been back since.

If you were a group of hells angels, you would have been welcomed with open arms. But a group of Institute of Advanced motorcyclists, no way, they still remember the Hendon Shuffle :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had a nasty experience in Picardy several years ago when I led a group of bikers from our local IAM group for their first ever mini tour abroad,.

Did it start when you rode into the Hotel du Ville and demanded "avay vous some rooms for tonight ?".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I also don't think friendliness has much to do with nationality. I work for a French company - they took over the business I work for late last year - and I have to say they're really very easy to work with, so far at least! The Head Office is in Paris and so far I've found everyone to be both friendly and helpful (and tolerant of my bad French!)

For what is now a truly pan-European business the worst country in it for not toeing the line and working with everyone else is..... the UK, in my opinion. Closely followed by Italy & Germany.

There are certain national traits that exist in every country. For example, I find the Polish don't like smiling - they so often look glum and serious, something you do see elsewhere in Eastern Europe - but in reality are fine. Try and speak a little of the language, smile and be patient, and I've never had a problem anywhere.

I'm surprised to hear about the problems of being a biker in France. I've ridden a bike a lot over there - sometimes solo, sometimes with others, 20+ years ago as a long-haired leather-wearing youth - and never had any problems, except for some little git cutting a chain and stealing my helmet off my bike once! I always found everyone to be really friendly. In fact, I was one of 25,000 bikers riding through Paris in 1994 as part of the Euro Demo, protesting against proposed laws to limit the power of bikes - incredible experience, and the Parisians were great.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Had some lovely sausage rolls in Spain. Don't know what they call them there, don't think I've seen them in France.

Edit. I've never had a shell suit.
Wanna buy one? :love:

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
They don’t even sell sausage rolls:mad:
If you find a Lidl, you'll find pretty close copies to Gregg's hot sausage rolls (without the greasy bag).
That's done it; I'm off to Greggs for a sausage roll. It's Friday.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
My first choice to relocate was France,love it. Jennifer chose Portugal............
I love it here in ...Portugal... as well. (Really,i do LOVE it here(y)(y)(y)) But i think a lot of how you are treated/seen is down to you and how you act.
Tea Bag

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
camp site wardens as little Hitlers.

OOPs.... People here (at the stadium) call me The Rottweiller.... Any connexion you think with "Little Hitlers"?? :eek::p:whistle::censored:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
We never had a bad experience in France found them to be helpful and like others say polite I speak very little of the language but always get by
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I find the French people very pleasant, Parisians not so much.

I have always found French people friendly for the most part. Yes, there are always ignorant people or very busy people that don't have time for the niceities, it's just the same in the UK.

By the way, my inlaws had a house in Brittany and they were very clear that that outside of Paris, Parisians weren't that popular!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Not sure why we even have a thread on this subject. Just saying like.

Just because they know I'll be reading it:p:LOL: .... but you know I only teach English language:rolleyes:.. Don't expect me to turn all the French people into English! I'm not that good if good at something that is! Hey ho ... French have some real characters:love::love::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The only little Hitler I came across was at the site at Colditz. She was probably one of the original prison officers.
She wore tiny shorts which didn't suit someone with her figure. The site was full of English and we had found the best way to handle her when she started bossing was to pretend not to understand her English, drove her wild.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have found some pretty rude Parisians, and was also propositioned by a lady of the late afternoon near montmartre even though I was with my wife at the time who was not amused.
To judge the French by Parisians would be like judging the British by londoners, most of whom don't even speak English.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The only bad experience I can recall was a drunk in a bar who wanted a revenge fight over what happened to Joan of Arc. Had to leave before it got ugly. Apart from the Joan of Arc excuse that could happen in any UK Pub just for "looking funny".

Other than that, never had any problems and unless they want to practice their English, always try to speak a bit of French.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The only bad experience I can recall was a drunk in a bar who wanted a revenge fight over what happened to Joan of Arc. Had to leave before it got ugly. Apart from the Joan of Arc excuse that could happen in any UK Pub just for "looking funny".

Other than that, never had any problems and unless they want to practice their English, always try to speak a bit of French.
Joan of arc tried and sentenced to burn at the stake by Pierre Cauchon Bishop of Beauvais, definitely a French man even if a Burgundian and sympathetic to the British cause.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That sounds like an unpleasant experience :cry:. We’ve mainly had good experiences. When cycling across France a few years ago we met another French family trying to find their way across Toulouse ... we chummed up and spent the next few days meeting up most evenings. I guess it helps that we speak the language, after a fashion. At one campsite a French motorhomer brought us some coffees; at another a French motorhomer invited the kids over for an ice cream. We did have a nasty experience with a French artist who didn’t like children in her studio, ça me dérange... but I try to remember the 99% who were kind :).

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I have always found French people friendly for the most part. Yes, there are always ignorant people or very busy people that don't have time for the niceities, it's just the same in the UK.

By the way, my inlaws had a house in Brittany and they were very clear that that outside of Paris, Parisians weren't that popular!
We also have a cottage in Brittany and the locals don't realy like the French much as the still see them as invaders, We were told learn to speak Breton not that peasant language French, Instead we are teaching them to speak gods own english lol

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
56% of inner Londoners of school age have a first language other than English (2017 government figures.) This is higher in some boroughs eg 74% in Tower hamlets. This is an adequate reason to say most.
Couldn't find corresponding figures for older people.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Do they have pork pies, and why don't they eat proper sausages or proper bacon?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The problem I have in France is avoiding thick Britain who think they can do any they want. I remember one incident when this shell suited thicko went into a pâtisserie and asked for a sausage roll and was very annoyed when he didn't get one

There are two things that would set my alarm bells ringing, one the shell suit and the other someone speaking native English. I have heard some imbecilic quotes such as “ you can’t cook with French cheese” and of course the click of the fingers in a cafe really goes down well NOT. Actually I find French people, especially older ones very polite and well mannered. In contrast some English/U.K. people I have met allow their kids to run around in restaurants or to continue unchecked screaming on campsites and some couldn’t use a knife and fork, the parents struggle too. Of I course don’t frequent the sink estates of cities Like Paris where I am sure there would be numpties. Trouble is in the U.K. walk down any high street and there is a good selection of Vicky Pollard or Wayne and waynetta types which I have rarely seen in France.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I had a nasty experience in Picardy several years ago when I led a group of bikers from our local IAM group for their first ever mini tour abroad, everywhere we went we were stared at in an unfriendly fashion, hostile even, we weren’t causing any trouble, just normal touristy things, when we changed into regular clothes and went out for an evening meal, the restaurant closed their doors when they saw us coming, saying they were closed, but other people went in afterwards.
The experience definitely put us off France, and haven’t really been back since.
You didn’t have Shell suits on did you. ::bigsmile::giggler:
The problem I have in France is avoiding thick Britain who think they can do any they want. I remember one incident when this shell suited thicko went into a pâtisserie and asked for a sausage roll and was very annoyed when he didn't get one

Deleted User
Do they have pork pies, and why don't they eat proper sausages or proper bacon?

No pork pies, good sausages are good but expensive.

Bacon.......I have a cunning plan...........I bought some bacon curing salt when we where in the UK, buy some belly pork(poitrine) or other cheap cuts and cure, only takes a few days and makes proper, fryable bacon.

Tried it out in Portugal before we left, pork is half the price there, meaty bacon ribs...mmmmm:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back