The Big Bread Thread ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Managed to buy strong white flour today, first time in three weeks. Got yeast on line, delivered yesterday. We use a bread maker, have done for well over ten years.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I love making bread but haven't been able to find any yeast. Can anyone offer advice on using wild yeast starter or any other starter for that matter?

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I love making bread but haven't been able to find any yeast. Can anyone offer advice on using wild yeast starter or any other starter for that matter?

Yes, have a look at the Bake with Jack link mentioned earlier :smiley:

Will packets/sachets of dried yeast keep for a while once opened?

Well, sort of....... the sachets will keep a few days and he little tubs should be alright for a couple of months (better if kept in fridge). The issue is keeping them airtight.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
So then....... a few peeps have asked for my Soda Bread recipe. I make all sorts of soda bread (that is the fun) so I will just start with 2 simple versions here........one 'dairy' and one 'non-dairy'. Also there are a couple of ways that it can be 'baked', with an oven and without (best for MH's etc).

I should point out before I list the recipe and method of each that there are a few notes to be observed....

Baking Soda is NOT Baking Powder (too much of either will taste 'metallic') (

Where vinegar is used you will not 'taste' it in the finished product

In an ideal world all small measurements are best done on 'micro scales' but as few of you will have these you will need to use the small measuring spoons (1/2 tsp, 1tsp, etc).

One level measuring teaspoon of soda is 5g
One level measuring teaspoon of tartar is 4g
One level measuring teaspoon of salt is 5g

These recipes are for two people to eat in one sitting, if you need more then increase as required.

Flours used can be plain or bread flour of any type you like (but not self raising)

I don't 'do' ounces so these recipe's are in grams! :giggle:

Utensils required:

Accurate weighing scales
large mixing bowl
sieve
hand whisk or similar
spatula or wooden spoon
baking tray (or medium size frying pan)
baking parchment (unless you have really really good non stick tray or pan) one piece for your tray OR 2 pieces a little larger than your frying pan.

Traditional Soda Bread:

Dry ingredients

100g wholemeal flour
100g plain white flour
3.3g Baking Soda
6.7g Cream of Tartar
3.6g fine salt

Wet ingredients

60g full fat Greek style yoghurt
120g semi skimmed milk

Cooking method:

Either preheated oven at 220c, gas mark 7 OR frying pan pre heated on low for 2 or 3 mins on the hob

Here we go!

If using oven pre heat to 220c before starting and line baking tray with parchment.

Mix all the dry ingredients into the bowl (sieve the soda and tartar powders, or rub between your fingers, to breakdown lumps) and mix well with the whisk or a fork).

Put the yoghurt in a bowl and add about 30g of milk and stir well with a fork until smooth and creamy (no lumps) then add about half of the remaining milk, mix, then add the rest and mix till smooth (if you add all the milk at once it will be tricky to mix).

If you intend to cook this on the hob, place the frying pan on low now.

Then add the liquid to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir well with a spatula or spoon just enough until there are no signs of dry flour left. Do not over do this, you are not kneeding, in fact minimum handling is best. The mix will be fairly 'sloppy' so do not be alarmed.

Tip the mixture onto the parchment on the baking tray and level out to a round with the spatula (a little flour sieved on top can help here) and gently flatten out to a thickness of about 30 mm or just over an inch. If you are using the frying pan method then place one of the pieces of parchment on a large plate and do the same.

In the case of the oven method, cut a deep cross nearly all the way through to the base into the round to help the rise during baking. Into the oven for about 20 to 25 mins then remove and tap base, if hollow sound then good otherwise back in for another 5 mins perhaps.

If cooking on the hob, do NOT cut a cross as you want the round to be stay quite flat, simply slide the dough with the parchment onto the frying pan. Keep the heat on low and set timer for 10 mins. After this time place the other piece of parchment (remember that?) over the pan with an upside down plate and use this to help flip over to the other uncooked side, slide back in to the pan on the paper (removing the previous paper on the cooked side and retain this) and cook for another 10 mins. Then repeat this process again for 4 mins each side.

Once cooked place the bread onto a cooling rack and wait at least 30 mins before slicing or it will be a bit 'gummy'.

Eat with butter and jam or what ever sweet stuff takes your fancy!

Non Dairy Soda Bread (more versatile and easier!)

Dry ingredients

200g plain white flour
3.3g Baking Soda
6.7g Cream of Tartar
3.6g fine salt

Wet ingredients

140g water
10g (2 tsp) cider vinegar (or red or white wine vinegar)

Once you have added the vinegar to the water the instructions are the same as before. Do not worry about the vinegar, you will not be able to taste it, it is there in order to provide the acidity needed for the soda to work.

Cool as the previous version and enjoy with what ever you like! This version is closer to 'real bread' and well suited to savoury as well as sweet.

I have spent many months perfecting Soda bread and these are the best versions so far. Feel free to experiment with both the ingredients and the methods of cooking. I appreciate that it might all feel a bit too 'prescriptive' but really it is quite easy (very easy actually) and you can modify as you wish. The element that is sensitive to excess is the soda so be careful with that. As for the amount of liquid you may need to 'up' or down' the amount by 10 to 20 grams depending on the flour you use (they all behave differently).

Try adding sultanas or raisins for a fruity version! (about 50 to 100g) or grated parmesan cheese and finely chopped chives or paprika for a savoury version. You can add seeds etc, you can go mad!

I do hope that this (rather long) post is useful, please ask if you have any questions (y)

©Chockswahay March 2020

A few piccies to follow ........

66B9E2E5-F2EB-448A-9485-55CDE811F071.jpeg
3404ADFA-F432-485B-9111-DAF2906025FE.jpeg

519C65D1-30F9-42DC-86E6-D5B7CDE5D43E.jpeg
4D6AC3A8-0151-4121-9763-7BBAA5C00ED2.jpeg
2E88C768-F405-4A4A-AEA7-9C3DBEE6C762.jpeg
D6F91CA0-E84B-4C73-A68C-924F7DD0942D.jpeg
F9181E87-15B7-426F-83C2-31B8DCD7AE83.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Gluten Free Mixes for the Brave

Here are my bread flour mixes. I make in bulk so it's ready to go when I am. I use a breadmaker but no reason why you can do it by hand.

Basic Bread Flour Mix

240gm Dove's Farm Rice Flour
240gm Potato Starch (Farina) NOT Potato Flour (Holland and Barrett)
120gm Tapioca Flour (make sure it is gluten free - mine was from Sussex Wholefoods)
200gm Cornflour

mix them together very well and again before use.

San Franscisco Bread Flour Mix (enough for 2 x 1lb loaves in my twin pan bread maker)
this makes a much nicer loaf but more exotic ingredients

1/2 cup each:

Rice Flour
Sorghum Flour (Bob's Red Mill)
Millet Flour
Arrowroot

Method:

Oil the breadpan, I use a squirt bottle of oil to oil a piece of kitchen roll and use that to oil the pan. Not too much as you are baking bread not frying it!!!!!

In a glass put 1/4 cup warm (hand hot) water
1/2 tablespoon caster sugar
and stir to disolve
1 teaspoon dried yeast (instant yeast works best but I am trying the hand bake yeast I was given today)

Leave to reactivate. I know that isn't what it says on the packet but trust me :)

In the bottom of the breadmaker breadpan add in this order (again not what the instructions say):

Another 1/2 cup warm water (3/4 cup for the San Francisco mix)
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 large egg

start the breadmaker just to mix the liquids together and let it run for a couple of minutes.

Switch off the breadmaker and on top of the liquid add

2 cups flour mix
1/2 tablespoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 heaped tablespoons dried milk
1 tablespoon psyllium husk
2 tablespoons oil

By now the yeast mix should be bubbly.

Tip the contents of the yeast glass on top of the dry ingredients and start the breadmaker.

Don't resist using a spatula to encourage any flour that has been left in a corner to join the party. GF flour is fine and resists being mixed in. You may need to add a little more flour or water of the mix looks dry or wet after a few minutes of kneading.

I am using a basic loaf setting, 1.5 lb loaf, medium crust but the loaf is a 1 lb loaf and bakes much better in my small Lidl / Aldi twin pan breadmaker.

When the machine beeps for adding extra ingredients I add a scant teaspoon of baking powder which does help the texture. My machine does this after the first rise.

When the bread is baked leave it in the breadmaker for 10 minutes then lift the breadpan out. After another 10 minutes or so tip the bread out onto a cooling rack. Allow to fully cool before slicing (don't forget to take out the mixing blade!) The cooling is part of the cooking process and the texture is much better if you can resist trying the bread warm.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Helen's Yorky Mix

6 eggs
300 ml milk (or non dairy equivalent)
200 gm cornflour
Pinch salt

After you put the meat in the oven but not too long afterwards as the mix has to "mature"

Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and add the milk and salt. Whisk like crazy (I use an electric beater) then add the cornflour spoon by spoon.

Once all the cornflour is mixed in cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave to stand. If you see little bubbles forming that is a good sign as the mix has picked up some "wild" yeast and the flavour and rise will be even better.

When you lift you meat out to relax turn the oven up to 220C and then put a little oil in each hole of a muffin pan. Put the pan into the oven - it needs to get really really hot. Don't use olive oil as that burns - duck or goose fat is best but beef dripping is good or sunflower oil is acceptable.

Once the fat is hot give the pudding mix another good stir then open the oven door and slide the shelf the muffin pan is on out of the oven enough so you can pour the mix into the holes (about half to 3/4 way up). Don't take the pan out of the oven unless you have to (and put it down on a towel to stop it cooling). Put the shelf and pan back in the oven, close the oven door and turn the heat down to 200C. They take about 20 minutes. You may see the batter start to cook as soon as it hits the fat - that is a very encouraging sign. After 10 minutes you may want to turn the puddings over, up to you.

They freeze :)

I've also put small part cooked sausages in the muffin pan and poured the mix round them to make mini-toads.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Can anyone recommend a bread maker that is best suited to baking gluten free bread? Puddleduck is very knowledgeable on gluten free ?

I'm not knowledgeable but I have made things even the birds won't eat - lots of trial and error but I have a few "go to" recipes now.

Because gluten free bread doesn't really keep and goes hard within a couple of days I think a bread maker that makes just one 1 lb loaf or has two 1lb tins is better than a big breadmaker. Some have gluten free settings but I've never had one of those.

I have two different breadmakers, a Morphy Richards Quick Bake which has a large bread pan but the better of the breadmakers is a Bifinett twin pan machine bought in Aldi or Lidl. You can make one or two loaves at a time. I think Lakeland did a similar machine.

Make sure you can get spare parts :)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Dont know if in-store bakeries still supplying fresh yeast and trying to avoid shops.

Bought brewers yeast from eBay and used 1/2 the weight of fresh I usually use.

Bread was lovely ... each sachet makes 4 small loaves and a small loaf does lunch for 4 people.
1 sachet down, 9 left ... need to outlast this lockdown!!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I prefer to use Rye for my starter but really you can use any flour....... if you have wholemeal then that would be next choice otherwise just use white (y) You will find that white takes longer to 'grow' and may be a little less sour but still good to go
This is the little bit of rye starter I had left plus wholemeal as suggested looks like it’s going, tape is level at 11am

Attachments

• F404D494-F2C8-490C-8062-E7586971DAF6.jpeg
    F404D494-F2C8-490C-8062-E7586971DAF6.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 28

PodsPals

Free Member
Mar 31, 2015
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
October 2014
Have a look online at the Jim Lahey No Knead method. It uses only small amounts of yeast but you will need a cast iron casserole and lid with some baking parchment to lift bread out. It is very easy and gives a superb result.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
So then....... a few peeps have asked for my Soda Bread recipe. I make all sorts of soda bread (that is the fun) so I will just start with 2 simple versions here........one 'dairy' and one 'non-dairy'. Also there are a couple of ways that it can be 'baked', with an oven and without (best for MH's etc).

I should point out before I list the recipe and method of each that there are a few notes to be observed....

Baking Soda is NOT Baking Powder (too much of either will taste 'metallic') (

Where vinegar is used you will not 'taste' it in the finished product

In an ideal world all small measurements are best done on 'micro scales' but as few of you will have these you will need to use the small measuring spoons (1/2 tsp, 1tsp, etc).

One level measuring teaspoon of soda is 5g
One level measuring teaspoon of tartar is 4g
One level measuring teaspoon of salt is 5g

These recipes are for two people to eat in one sitting, if you need more then increase as required.

Flours used can be plain or bread flour of any type you like (but not self raising)

I don't 'do' ounces so these recipe's are in grams! :giggle:

Utensils required:

Accurate weighing scales
large mixing bowl
sieve
hand whisk or similar
spatula or wooden spoon
baking tray (or medium size frying pan)
baking parchment (unless you have really really good non stick tray or pan) one piece for your tray OR 2 pieces a little larger than your frying pan.

Traditional Soda Bread:

Dry ingredients

100g wholemeal flour
100g plain white flour
3.3g Baking Soda
6.7g Cream of Tartar
3.6g fine salt

Wet ingredients

60g full fat Greek style yoghurt
120g semi skimmed milk

Cooking method:

Either preheated oven at 220c, gas mark 7 OR frying pan pre heated on low for 2 or 3 mins on the hob

Here we go!

If using oven pre heat to 220c before starting and line baking tray with parchment.

Mix all the dry ingredients into the bowl (sieve the soda and tartar powders, or rub between your fingers, to breakdown lumps) and mix well with the whisk or a fork).

Put the yoghurt in a bowl and add about 30g of milk and stir well with a fork until smooth and creamy (no lumps) then add about half of the remaining milk, mix, then add the rest and mix till smooth (if you add all the milk at once it will be tricky to mix).

If you intend to cook this on the hob, place the frying pan on low now.

Then add the liquid to the bowl of dry ingredients and stir well with a spatula or spoon just enough until there are no signs of dry flour left. Do not over do this, you are not kneeding, in fact minimum handling is best. The mix will be fairly 'sloppy' so do not be alarmed.

Tip the mixture onto the parchment on the baking tray and level out to a round with the spatula (a little flour sieved on top can help here) and gently flatten out to a thickness of about 30 mm or just over an inch. If you are using the frying pan method then place one of the pieces of parchment on a large plate and do the same.

In the case of the oven method, cut a deep cross nearly all the way through to the base into the round to help the rise during baking. Into the oven for about 20 to 25 mins then remove and tap base, if hollow sound then good otherwise back in for another 5 mins perhaps.

If cooking on the hob, do NOT cut a cross as you want the round to be stay quite flat, simply slide the dough with the parchment onto the frying pan. Keep the heat on low and set timer for 10 mins. After this time place the other piece of parchment (remember that?) over the pan with an upside down plate and use this to help flip over to the other uncooked side, slide back in to the pan on the paper (removing the previous paper on the cooked side and retain this) and cook for another 10 mins. Then repeat this process again for 4 mins each side.

Once cooked place the bread onto a cooling rack and wait at least 30 mins before slicing or it will be a bit 'gummy'.

Eat with butter and jam or what ever sweet stuff takes your fancy!

Non Dairy Soda Bread (more versatile and easier!)

Dry ingredients

200g plain white flour
3.3g Baking Soda
6.7g Cream of Tartar
3.6g fine salt

Wet ingredients

140g water
10g (2 tsp) cider vinegar (or red or white wine vinegar)

Once you have added the vinegar to the water the instructions are the same as before. Do not worry about the vinegar, you will not be able to taste it, it is there in order to provide the acidity needed for the soda to work.

Cool as the previous version and enjoy with what ever you like! This version is closer to 'real bread' and well suited to savoury as well as sweet.

I have spent many months perfecting Soda bread and these are the best versions so far. Feel free to experiment with both the ingredients and the methods of cooking. I appreciate that it might all feel a bit too 'prescriptive' but really it is quite easy (very easy actually) and you can modify as you wish. The element that is sensitive to excess is the soda so be careful with that. As for the amount of liquid you may need to 'up' or down' the amount by 10 to 20 grams depending on the flour you use (they all behave differently).

Try adding sultanas or raisins for a fruity version! (about 50 to 100g) or grated parmesan cheese and finely chopped chives or paprika for a savoury version. You can add seeds etc, you can go mad!

I do hope that this (rather long) post is useful, please ask if you have any questions (y)

©Chockswahay March 2020

A few piccies to follow ........

View attachment 372832View attachment 372833
View attachment 372834View attachment 372835View attachment 372836View attachment 372837View attachment 372838

Printing this one off and adding it to my scrap book of recipes, will give it a go this week. We've set a daily challenge for the children that they have to bake something every day. Yesterday was Macarons (i did help a bit) looks like this will be tomorrows challenge;)

Many thanks for taking to time to write it up in such detail !!!

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It has just occurred to me that most of the photos I put up earlier are really for ‘quick n easy MH bread’ they won’t win any prizes for aesthetics but they do taste good........ so here is an old photo of how a Soda bread should look if baked the traditional way in an oven ?

01502A40-91FB-42B3-9659-5628323E5EF6.jpeg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I have never had any luck making gluten free sourdough. The starter always goes pink and starts to stink (and I mean stink like rotting meat) within 24 hours. The pink colour could be due to oxygenation of the flours (especially potato) but even without using potato is still discolours.

I've tried a few recipes from the web with no success. I did see some on offer but when I enquired further it turned out to be a spelt starter and the person selling it had no clue that spelt was a gluten grain and asked if it mattered!!!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It has just occurred to me that most of the photos I put up earlier are really for ‘quick n easy MH bread’ they won’t win any prizes for aesthetics but they do taste good

They look fine to me ... remind me of when my Grandma used to make "oven bottoms" and I was only allowed to look. Mind knowing the consequences of a sample I wasn't interested.

Tony430

Free Member
Jan 13, 2019
Braunton
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
newbie i'm afraid
Don’t think I’ve seen flatbreads yet. Very versatile and taste amazing off a cast iron pan. Made these last night to have with Middle Eastern salads. Easy to do in the van too .
C03C2299-A943-4CD1-8E6E-BA107F1EC9E2.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Don’t think I’ve seen flatbreads yet. Very versatile and taste amazing off a cast iron pan. Made these last night to have with Middle Eastern salads. Easy to do in the van too . View attachment 373058
They look nice! Do you have any tips, advice or pointers please? I know there are loads of recipes on the ‘net but it always helps when the advice is ‘firsthand’ ?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Our bread making machine usage is very simple.
mrskevenh makes extensive use of Wessex Mill's products.
Their online store is shut but here can help.

Occasionally a focaccia will get made.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Soda Bread day for me today as we will have the oven on to roast a chicken :) No, not one from the garden, they are far too busy laying eggs (6 birds and 5 eggs on Saturday but only 4 yesterday). Think we are also going to make a custard tart :) and Yorkshire puddings ............

The place I usually buy specialist flour is only taking orders for half an hour one or two days a week until they catch up so I found what I wanted on Amazon and placed an order for delivery early next week ....... bit more expensive but free delivery so might actually work out cheaper for just one or two things rather than a bulk buy.

Tony430

Free Member
Jan 13, 2019
Braunton
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
newbie i'm afraid
They look nice! Do you have any tips, advice or pointers please? I know there are loads of recipes on the ‘net but it always helps when the advice is ‘firsthand’ ?
Thanks - have made them for years (used to do a bit of catering and could never find good ready made ones). They are pretty simple. Standard white bread mix e.g 500g strong flour, one sachet dried yeast, salt, little sugar, 300ml warm water. But i add a couple tbsps olive oil to the dry ingredients. As normal, knead till smooth - 5-10 mins, then leave to rise (doubled in size). Heat non-stick or cast iron pan (med -hot), lightly oil and wipe off with kitchen roll. Break of small balls of dough, roll out and place on pan, will bubble a bit, turn and it might puff right up which is fine, couple more mins and done. You want those slightly scorched bits on each side. Use straight away or fridge/ freeze and reheat in oven. Tony I don't eat meat anymore but if you do, grilled meat (or mushrooms) , salad and tzatziki have always gone down well in these.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
All flour manufactures online sites closed at mo tried a few yesterday
Helpfully/hopefully the link in #55 can help funsters find strong and other flour types at ground based outlets.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've scanned this topic and haven't seen it. (Sorry if you have posted this)

If you are making bread and want it to last a little longer in the larder, put 1 Oz (25 grams) of lard or olive oil into the mix.

I appreciate that the law in France says that using such an ingredient is against their Law but anyone who has been to France knows what happens to their day old bread.

If you don't notice the difference, try a little more.

It's nearly 50 yrs since I worked in the family Bakery and I wasn't making two or three loaf's worth. I was making 50kilos of dough at a time so I'm afraid it was bulk made and not in the small quantities peeps on here are doing. That's why I'm not sure of the quantity in this case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back