Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
After two years of going nowhere due to Covid and my lovely Mum fading away, we had finally decided on a few days in Dieppe for the Christmas markets there and in Rouen. We weren't taking the Motorhome, just car and cheap hotel. Thanks to loads of help from other Funsters, I'd got everything sorted, vacc certs, Day 2 tests, all paperwork in order. Ferry booked for 13 December. Today I've had an email from the Test company (Simply Test) advising that due to new GOV rules they will not be supplying our LFT Day 2s and expect to be so busy refunding everyone that their office will be closed next week. Reading between the lines it seems Day 2 tests now have to be PCR at a much greater cost than the LFT. Is this the thin edge of the wedge ? If the rules change while we're away for our few days are we going to be put in a Quarantine Hotel on return...... Do I bite the bullet and cancel, possibly losing the ferry fare (less than other possible expenses) or do we take a chance?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
It's all a bit of a mess this weekend. The UK government has ruled that day 2 tests must be PCR tests from tomorrow ( or possibly Tuesday) but PCR tests have come down in cost a lot recently. Since this new variant is already in the UK it seems more likely that France may impose restrictions on us travelling across to France than the UK imposing quarantine on us returning from France. Apparently the French government is making an announcement tomorrow so we will have a better idea then. Fingers crossed your trip can go ahead.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
I empathise, first trip in 2 years to Europe planned for next week, skiing to Austria in January and cruise out of cape town next February. I'm cancelling them all, at least the MH investment is likely to hold up well for another while and paid extra to get full refunds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I thought the Day 2 tests had to be pre ordered PCR's anyway as that's what my brother had to do visiting us from the USA recently, but that could of course be a requirement to return back to the USA. It was a complicated rigmarole anyway having to video himself in realtime taking the test whilst being observed by a technician. Very bizare. Eitherway I think the quarrantine hotels are for Red Zone arrivals.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I had a ski trip to Switzerland planned for Dec 12th but that is now off. I will be driving to France that week instead as long as the French will still have us. I also have a trip to Italy end of January carried over from last year, I'll be going if I can.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I thought the Day 2 tests had to be pre ordered PCR's anyway as that's what my brother had to do visiting us from the USA recently, but that could of course be a requirement to return back to the USA. It was a complicated rigmarole anyway having to video himself in realtime taking the test whilst being observed by a technician. Very bizare. Eitherway I think the quarrantine hotels are for Red Zone arrivals.
They used to be pre booked PCR but this was changed a few weeks ago to the cheaper Lateral flow tests. The PCR requirement has been reinstated this weekend due to this new variant from South Africa

OP
OP
G

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
At least we've got a couple of weeks to decide what to do (I've more or less decided to cancel/postpone but John is desperate to get back to France after such a long absence). I'll give it another week and the decision may be made for me. Head says cancel, heart says go.......

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Go for it, the powers that be, the ones making the rules are, for a long number of years going to make it as difficult as possible for us ( we must bear in mind we are a minority) to travel abroad. If we keep cancelling our plans they have got what they want.
So play by the rules, take the required tests and have a great trip. Otherwise why are we buying, maintaining and trying to use our motorhomes?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Apart from the cost...
The significant thing about the Day 2 test stays the same ie the reference number for the PLF.

So I'd say go.
I don't think there's the political appetite for further restrictions

OP
OP
G

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
I'm trying to be sensible but it's not easy. After losing my superstar mum at 104 years old, I really need a break. As I said, I'll give it a week - everything's in place except the now cancelled tests so I'll still have time to sort those. It's so good to hear what others think even when it's "Go" or "Don't go" so thanks to you all.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The company I ordered mine and daughters day 2 lateral flow tests from for our trip to Barcelona before Christmas sent us an email overnight on Saturday offering a replacement day 2 PCR test, obviously at additional cost. Thought that was unbelievably efficient. Especially as they’d already send the lateral flow tests.

Not sure what to do though as we’re only due to go for 4 nights from 16th to 20th December and who knows what the rules in Spain will be. Claire doesn’t arrive in the UK until the 11th/12th so a right old palaver for her getting PCRs plus cost. Fortunately we can cancel the hotel but would lose our Easyjet flights. We were so looking forward to our first Mum/daughter trip in nearly 3 years.

Mind you I’m more worried about whether she’ll actually get home for Christmas at all at the moment, sorry, feeling a bit sorry for myself this morning. I will have to give myself a good slapping, do Legs, Bums and Tums and pull myself together!

Vivo medical is the Govt approved one we used.

Aug 31, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
The entry requirements to enter UK differ according to departure country/airport.
We are currently in Cyprus, arrivals to UK from 4 am tomorrow will require a ,rip off PCR test instead of our already booked and paid for Lateral flow test, furthermore, we need to self isolate until we receive a negative test result.
But better to have restrictions, IF it prevents the spread of the new variant.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The entry requirements to enter UK differ according to departure country/airport.
We are currently in Cyprus, arrivals to UK from 4 am tomorrow will require a ,rip off PCR test instead of our already booked and paid for Lateral flow test, furthermore, we need to self isolate until we receive a negative test result.
But better to have restrictions, IF it prevents the spread of the new variant.
It won’t prevent the spread unfortunately, it will just slow it down. The experts have already said it is likely to quickly become the dominant strain but hopefully it will give a bit of time to ramp up the Booster program. What no one knows is how serious it is and how effective current vaccines are, that won’t be known for a few weeks.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We are off on the 9th. With this new variant we are getting itchy bums how serious it will get. Our biggest concern it if the country we are going to is put on the red list. Said before, having experianced the 11 nights hotel prison we deffo do not want to do it again.
🤞🤞🤞🤞

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
After two years of going nowhere due to Covid and my lovely Mum fading away, we had finally decided on a few days in Dieppe for the Christmas markets there and in Rouen. We weren't taking the Motorhome, just car and cheap hotel. Thanks to loads of help from other Funsters, I'd got everything sorted, vacc certs, Day 2 tests, all paperwork in order. Ferry booked for 13 December. Today I've had an email from the Test company (Simply Test) advising that due to new GOV rules they will not be supplying our LFT Day 2s and expect to be so busy refunding everyone that their office will be closed next week. Reading between the lines it seems Day 2 tests now have to be PCR at a much greater cost than the LFT. Is this the thin edge of the wedge ? If the rules change while we're away for our few days are we going to be put in a Quarantine Hotel on return...... Do I bite the bullet and cancel, possibly losing the ferry fare (less than other possible expenses) or do we take a chance?
We have used Simplytestme and they announced yesterday were working on moving to PCR at a cost of £43 which is still very good compared with others and would have the opportunity to upgrade apart from those travelling in the next few weeks that would have the costs refunded minus a 50p service charge.

I would wait and see what France announces today they are unlikely to go on our red list requiring quarantine on arrival back into the UK but we may have extra restrictions placed on us though.

We are also patiently hoping to travel at Christmas also.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We finally decided a short while ago to forgo a holiday abroad over Christmas due at the time to the travel insurance obstacle we hit (even though I could likely have got it but at a very high cost), however the changing in country entry requirements is one of the things that I 'predicted' might happen and we didn't want all the aggro of more/different testing, isolating etc (even though it's for a good reason). To us it just wasn't worth the ongoing concern, when we're supposed to be relaxing, about how we get back into the UK and what hoops needed to be jumped through to do so, especially if we had to come back in a hurry - we had other things going on when we were in Scotland in August which we couldn't get out of our minds so ended up coming back home early as we weren't enjoying it and didn't want a repeat.

I hope it improves for those who do want to go abroad but I fear it isn't going to for a while yet.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Just blown 1500 hundred quid on package to Canaries too much hassle , worry and risk . so might go to Scotland and buy a new pair of trousers

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Helen and our youngest daughter just returned from Boston this morning, they last minute booked pcr tests at Heathrow airport, wanted reassurance of pcr not lft, all very straightforward.

We are booked to go to the Canaries for Xmas and New Year, fully intent to go, we are triple jagged and will do whatever testing required. Hopefully by then Scientists will be much clearer on impact.

In our view it’s a risk appetite decision, quality of life v perceived risk of catching/transmitting the virus.

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
We have just cancelled our much wanted short break in Belgium.
The risks of quarantine and associated knock on effect of being off work with no no pay etc etc has been enough to put us off.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I'm in Spain flying back 18.12.21 I have 17 days before I start worrying.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
From Saturday for entry into France now requires a negative test for all countries outside the EU.

OP
OP
G

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
Decision made. I've cancelled our long awaited pre Christmas trip to France. DFDS girl offered a credit, valid till next September. She told me the French government (President Macron) is waiting for a fortnight before making an announcement on further restrictions but no one expects good news. All I have to do now is break the news to John who's away at the moment but will be ringing tonight........

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp

I've used these for 2day arrival test last month. There clinic is close by and I visited and it costs £20 for PCR test. They have a number of clinics see if one is close for you.

They are the cheapest I could find. They do a postal service at £50

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
My day 2 pcr is from randox just over £80 for 2
i worry about the red list too ,but am ready for a holiday 🌴

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
If I’m lucky I may just sneak a week away before it all kicks off but I’m at most 5-6 hrs away from tunnel if it goes pear shaped and I’ll try and scurry back!
No further news on French tests as yet (times, types etc).

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If I’m lucky I may just sneak a week away before it all kicks off but I’m at most 5-6 hrs away from tunnel if it goes pear shaped and I’ll try and scurry back!
No further news on French tests as yet (times, types etc).
If you book for the same or next day the tunnel used to be mega money 😭 I always book at least a week ahead now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back