LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Tesco is linked to Travelex, I think so the rates will be similar. Not the cheapest but fairly convenient

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
If you have an ASDA nearby they will beat any other quote. I used them before we went to the USA and Canada 8 weeks ago, you need to go on line and find a good rate and then tell them at the Asda travel desk. I did this and although they only beat the rate by .oo1 of a cent it meant I had a great rate without trailing around. They also loaded half my cash onto one of their cash cards in US $ at the same rate as cash.

Keith (sooty)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Travelex have exchange places at most of the ports and airports as well as Eurotunnel. If you just go in their standard rates are awful. But if you pre-order on line they offer very good rates indeed - much better than almost anywhere else I have found. You order on line and pick up at the port, airport or tunnel of your choice. We have used them for US dollars and Euros and they are very competitive for both. BUT you must book on line. Just popping in the rates are awful.

Remember many of these so called "commission free" deals aren't really because the exchange rate they use is so low. That is how they earn their commission, by hiding it!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I use the FairFX only 1 extra charge 2.5 euro,s if you use cash machine when in Europe all other purchases cost nothing
The charges seem to vary for ATM's but seem to be around the €2.50 mark. Also for the Techies out there, FairFX have an iPhone app so you can reload the card anywhere you have internet access :D

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We generally get a few Euro's for travelling expenses on the way out if we haven't got many left from our last trip, then use the debit card in a local ATM when we need more.

Have always found that the best way for us occasionally I suppose the exchange rates may go against you but not often.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We always use N&P (Norwich & Peterborough)debit card when abroad. There is no charge and the exchange rate is only a point or two below the commercial rate. When we did once use our Tesco credit card abroad the exchange rate was poor.

I have no axe to grind with Tesco. When at home we always use our Tesco credit card. With there triple voucher reward scheme it usually pays for our Euro Tunnel trips each year.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If you have an ASDA nearby they will beat any other quote. I used them before we went to the USA and Canada 8 weeks ago, you need to go on line and find a good rate and then tell them at the Asda travel desk. I did this and although they only beat the rate by .oo1 of a cent it meant I had a great rate without trailing around. They also loaded half my cash onto one of their cash cards in US $ at the same rate as cash.

Keith (sooty)
Can you use it in the same way as Caxton?

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back