Tell me your experience of going alone (1 Viewer)

whereru

Free Member
Jun 16, 2014
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
HI Mimi,
I'm a female HM driver, my first van was 23 years old with no power steering, I was really nervous before I picked it up so I arranged to pick the MH up when I new the roads around would not be too busy, I also planed a good rout for a long drive that would cover dual carriageways, busy traffic, town driving and a quiet car park so I could get the feel of manoeuvring and reversing a longer vehicle.
I booked onto a site very close to me for a couple of days so I could try every thing out, I took essentials with me and made a list of things I needed as the need arose. I haven't looked back since and am now on my 3rd van. What I was looking for in my first MH was totally different to what I wanted in my 3rd.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
You seem to know exactly what you are looking for regarding layout but there are likely to be other manufacturers with the same floor plan so don't get too fixed on a specific van. Enjoy the looking, that's half the fun. Good look, like all the others have said the driving is purely a confidence thing and once you have a few miles under your belt you will wonder why you were so worried.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
When we were buying ours I took it for a couple of test drives. I was worried at driving such a big beast on the busy roads around Leeds, but was amazed how easy it was. By the time we got it back to the showroom any doubt I had prior to the test drive had vanished.

One thing definitely worth getting is a reversing camera. I do think I would struggle without that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2014
Funster No
Hi mimi I too am a solo travler i live in my motor home fulltime since 2011
I not live in my motor home six months may/Oct. wintering in Spain.
I can Only repeat what others say on here.
If your not sure about driving a motor home. Why not hire one. And see how you go

Hope you find what is right fir you
As for me. It's the best life being free to go where ever you want too

Yours Ian

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
When you make your purchase and drive away you will be anxious. You will be extra careful when passing parked cars and you will hold back through gaps that you could sail through if you had the confidence. The miles will pass, your courage will grow along with your ability. Expect to be nervous, expect to get over it - you will.

OP
OP
Mimi

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Now I have paid my subscription I can say a big 'Thank You' for all the replies and the encouragment I received from my post, all were truly welcomed.
I will post another message when I have some news.

Regards
Mimi

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Hire a self drive van (with the same chassi that you plan on getting) for half a day. That wouldn't break the bank (y)
I drive ours no bother, love it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back