LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
According to our Peugeot Boxer handbook we should have a readout on the dash of the out side ambient temperature but alas I could not find how to bring up the readout, but it would appear that it had to be part of the order spec for the vehicle at the factory which it looks like we do not have.
As I would like to know what's going on temperature wise outside I have bought a temperature gauge with a wireless sensor but where is the best place to mount the sensor to get a fairly true reading of the outside temperature without to much influence from engine heat or the sun beating down on a panel near it.
I understand that the vans with factory fitted sensors are normally in the wing mirror but I do not want to start ripping things apart like the wing mirrors to mount it. The blurb that comes with it says that the sensor is rainproof but not waterproof so it will want some degree of protection from getting soaked.

Sensible ideas of where to mount the wireless sensor and your reasoning for that position please.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Somewhere it isn't affected by water, wind, or sun, any of which will compromise the reading. I'd suggest low down inside / behind the front bumper moulding.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When I was thinking of fitting one I was going to drop it out through the bottom of the battery box under the floor, seemed like a good place out of the sun and weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would think away from the front bumper as engine heat will affect it to some degree.
I have a wireless temp gauge in the van, the sensor is in the rear Fiamma luggage locker and seems to be pretty accurate.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just stick yer hand out the window :)

cropped-image-of-man-hand-coming-out-from-car-window-against-clear-picture-id571246041

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Somewhere it isn't affected by water, wind, or sun, any of which will compromise the reading. I'd suggest low down inside / behind the front bumper moulding.

As Tony suggested behind the front bumper, not affected by wind chill, clean, dry and where most manufacturers fit them.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
somewhere different to Mercedes, ours goes up 20C when stood with engine running or in slow traffic, that is the Mercedes dash display

however when parked it is much better then the Hymer sensor which is typically at least 5C about the actual and seems to be either near a heater duct or in the sun o_O

a nice to have thing that really is pretty much useless, if its frosty on the screen, it is cold turn heating up, if it feels really hot turn on air con

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The Peugeot/Fiat one is not much use anyway, tiny display and you need the ignition on. I use a small weather station and fitted the sender up under the rear chassis, even though it's a long way back (we have a very long wheelbase) it still reads a couple of degrees high when you stop with heat from the engine and the ground affecting it.
Here's my install.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I use a scan gauge on the Land Rover and now seriously considering one for the MoHo. It plugs into the OBDII socket and monitors the engine sensors one of which is the intake air temp into the filter housing which seems to be a more accurate reading than the fitted outside temp gauge. Another plus is that shows fault codes and allows you to reset them.

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back