Tam, Jade and Franky's European Adventure (4 Viewers)

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
It’s a perseverance test. Persevere!
I’ve used choke chains before with success,others think they are cruel. If you use one it will almost certainly work. Just don’t be too hard with it.....but I don’t think you are the type to go anywhere near that limit.
We use slip leads on both of ours and have done for well over a year, we had special training for Poppy who is fear aggressive and everywhere we go she's muzzled (she doesn't mind) and on walks (not in towns) she's on a 3m line which we drop but can pick up easily - I wouldn't use a choke chain though purely because I don't like them, but find the slip lead works fine for us.

Apr 30, 2017
South West - Weston-Super-Mare
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Cheyenne 660
Exp
I'm a newbie
Spoke too soon with the training lol ....evening walk was a disaster she pulls constantly like a cart horse, you try to get her attention and she jumps up looking for treats ....frustrating as anything lol im starting to think she doesn't speak English

But tomorrow is another day .....whats the general view on the choker type chain collars? Do they stop the pulling?
I don't think she understands what I'm trying to get her to do.
We used to use the Halti dog collars to stop the pulling worked on our standard poodle. Hope the link works.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Really annoyed tonight ....i was cooking dinner there so I had the door open and jade on the long lead I have attached to the inner grab handle as she likes to be able to potter in and out the van at leisure.
She was happy lying outside chewing a stick while I was cooking and the next thing she lets out with a big squeel and starts yelping and barking I jumped over to the door and there's a big bloody dog off the lead chasing her and of course she's panicking and trying to get away.

I got her inside but she was shaking and kept licking at her tail and rear end and one of her back legs ....the guy just grabbed his dog by the collar and dragged it away dangling off the ground the cruel sod.

But not every little noise she's jumping at and barking ...i don't know if it bit her or just aggressively mounted her or something as I didn't see.
Can't see any bite marks or anything on her but the poor girl is all quiet and nervous now. :(

Don't like the way the owner of the other dog dragged it off but I get the impression it's not the first time it's done this ....should be on a lead if he can't control it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
That's a nasty experience for Jade Tam and she might be a bit quiet for a day or two. The owner sounds like a pig, he should have his dog under better control but unfortunately some don't (dare I say especially in many other countries).

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hard luck Tam,very upsetting for both you and poor Jade.
She's calmed down a bit now thankfully and playing with her food filled toy
But she spent a good half hour like this
20180422_185538.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That's a nasty experience for Jade Tam and she might be a bit quiet for a day or two. The owner sounds like a pig, he should have his dog under better control but unfortunately some don't (dare I say especially in many other countries).
Yep it's a dog friendly beach but it does say on the sign dogs to be kept under control

I'm just hoping it doesn't have lasting effect because she had been great with other dogs never barks they just sniff each other normally and say hello

This is how the swine dragged his dog away it's legs barely touching the ground
20180422_182809.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oh poor little Jade, I’m sure with lots of cuddles she will be all right, very frightening for her though.
Never heard her squeel like that Carol and of course because she was on a lead she couldn't get away and was hitting herself of the step etc trying to escape it.

4 or 5 times her size though I'm not surprised it scared the life out her.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Yep it's a dog friendly beach but it does say on the sign dogs to be kept under control

I'm just hoping it doesn't have lasting effect because she had been great with other dogs never barks they just sniff each other normally and say hello

This is how the swine dragged his dog away it's legs barely touching the groundView attachment 226588
:eek:

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Hearing Jade squeal like that would have been horrible -sheer terror, but it was a good job she was fastened up and couldn't get away. She could have well run "blind",her squealing would have excited the dog,who would easily have overhauled her-the consequences don't bare thinking about.
Time will tell how the experience affects her.
My young collie was rehomed at a year old as she was regularly being attacked by the senior dog in the household. She was a nervous wreck, terrified of other dogs. Once I got her, my Beardied Collie took over protection and nursemaid duties. The young collie is three now and fully recovered, she won't start a fight but if picked on will give as good as she gets.
She now plays regularly and roughly with two neighbouring dogs both considerably bigger than herself.
Jade's scare might not effect her,but if it does don't despair, time heals a lot.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Poor Jade, and you!
Take her for a walk and keep her close her experience will make her a bit anxious and needy. When you meet a dog just act as if nothing is different, if you pull her closer or show any worrying signs to her she will think it’s something to be worried about. Just act as normal, as you would any other day.
If she doesn’t want to talk to other dogs don’t force her just let her make up her own mind, she will soon realise that not all big dogs are the same.
Would be nice to bump into someone with a kind dog that you could stop and have a natter with so she could see there’s nothing to worry about!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Think i see far more uncontrolled dogs in UK than i ever see in Europe,,,BUSBY,,

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hmmm so jade and I have just been out for a walk on the beach and a dog came to play. They've had a good chase and wrestle but the dog has followed us back to the van.

It has no collar on and I'm not sure if it's a stray or has an owner somewhere.

It's lying outside the van ....what do I do ?

I'd hate to think it's hungry but if I feed it then it's not going to leave ....
20180423_101802.jpg
20180423_101808.jpg
20180423_101812.jpg
20180423_102442.jpg
20180423_102957.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Well I decided I'd go have a shower and see if it was still there after....as I was tempted just to feed it and if it stayed it stayed.
But coming out the shower I see it's gone .....if it follows us again when we are out then we will see don't know if it would be a good or bad thing ...seems a nice dog and similar to jade but I'm still adjusting to one dog lol dont know if a second would be a good thing or bad.

I'm too much a sucker for animals ....

It was a good looking dog though bit like a fox looking

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Ithe was just the very thing Jade needed this morning -a fun playmate to restore her confidence -ideal. But not as a permanent addition to the family, as others have said it's in good condition, it's been doing well before you arrived, it will continue to do well when you leave -don't feed it .
Jade and the other dog have one important thing in common -they both speak "dog". -
Your attempts at training would really take a backseat if you were to adopt the other little dog at this point . Don't be tempted.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ithe was just the very thing Jade needed this morning -a fun playmate to restore her confidence -ideal. But not as a permanent addition to the family, as others have said it's in good condition, it's been doing well before you arrived, it will continue to do well when you leave -don't feed it .
Jade and the other dog have one important thing in common -they both speak "dog". -
Your attempts at training would really take a backseat if you were to adopt the other little dog at this point . Don't be tempted.
Yes it was good that they had a play I'd actually taken her over in that direction because id seen the dog on the beach and wanted her to get back on the horse so to speak after yesterday....and she was fine.

It didn't look in bad condition so not too bad, I was tempted that's why I decided to go for a shower and leave it ten minutes or so and kind of glad I did really as whilst it would be company and a playmate for jade she already has me for that and I think having 2 woukd be restricting whereas she is fitting in to my life quite nicely and I got lucky with her placcid non destructive nature ....i don't think I'd get that lucky with a second one.

At least not for now :)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
With the rapport that is building between you & Jade a second dog could ruin that.
That dog didn’t look as tho no one fed it!
Stick to one dog-for now! If you fall for every animal you see that looks stray you won’t have room to move!

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Tam it has just occurred to me that Jade isn't wearing a "Scalibor" collar. These collars guard against ticks and sandflies, both of which can lead to very nasty diseases.
When my UK vet learnt I was coming here, she advised me to be sure my dogs wore one of these at all times. (She and her husband, both vets, spend several months with their dogs in Portugal each year)
I no longer have the leaflet that came with the Scalibor collar, but I believe one of the side effects of sandfly bites is heart worm.I think I also recall something about Liechmans Disease.
Anyway not nice and apparently avoidable by the dog wearing one of these collars.
My dogs and I come from a heavily tick infested area of Scotland, I used to treat them with "front line " but they still got ticks, since coming here are wearing these collars they have had no ticks, whereas the dogs of the local goat farmer are heavily tick infested.
The collars can be purchased from any Spanish vet.
I don't know what other funsters think about this but I am very aware of the dangers from tick bites to both animals and humans.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam it has just occurred to me that Jade isn't wearing a "Scalibor" collar. These collars guard against ticks and sandflies, both of which can lead to very nasty diseases.
When my UK vet learnt I was coming here, she advised me to be sure my dogs wore one of these at all times. (She and her husband, both vets, spend several months with their dogs in Portugal each year)
I no longer have the leaflet that came with the Scalibor collar, but I believe one of the side effects of sandfly bites is heart worm.I think I also recall something about Liechmans Disease.
Anyway not nice and apparently avoidable by the dog wearing one of these collars.
My dogs and I come from a heavily tick infested area of Scotland, I used to treat them with "front line " but they still got ticks, since coming here are wearing these collars they have had no ticks, whereas the dogs of the local goat farmer are heavily tick infested.
The collars can be purchased from any Spanish vet.
I don't know what other funsters think about this but I am very aware of the dangers from tick bites to both animals and humans.
I didn't know about that but she was just treated for ticks fleas etc just when I got her and will be back at vets in July so I'll ask about one then :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back