Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I should think most of the main manufacturers are likely at some point to end up with the same faults as most of them buy in the floors ,sidewalls, furniture etc from the same suppliers and merely assemble items and stick a badge on and knock them out to unsuspecting customers. After my experiences with a Swift produced caravan and their's and the dealers customer service I vowed to never buy another mass produced caravan / motorhome, which is why I ended up building my own.. only problems I've had so far is with a leaky Thetford C250 Toilet which I would advise anyone to avoid, A dealer friend of mine is now trying to sort this out under it's warranty

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
On my last Swift brand caravan ( Abbey ) the supplying dealer who was Broad Lane rang me just before the warranty expired to encourage me to have the habitation check before it ran out, small damp area found and repaired under warranty about 3 months later.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
when you fall through the rotten floor on a fairly new motorhome there is NO EXCUSE its a bloody good job that Swift do not build boats

I thought they did ? They are just inside out !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Amazing how well we can adapt when pushed. I got around the problems with my Swift Konleaki by using an umbrella in the lounge area. Sorted...:winky:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
::bigsmile: Would this be the same A/T THAT denied they had faults -re damp floors around the same time as Swift around 2006 ish ::bigsmile: Like Paul SAYS THEY ALL HAVE PROBLEMS others more than some :winky:::bigsmile: Auto trail had the same flooring and the same probs that Swift got/have but to Swifts credit at the time they held there hands up :thumb:-but they are now renaging on what they said :Eeek:
terry
You maybe right but I've not heard of any major Auto-Trail floor problems. My first Auto-Trail was a 634 on a Merc chassis and apart from a cracked shower tray and badly worn fixed carpet it was sound. It's a pity they stopped putting bodies on them. One motorhome which was 100% trouble free throughout its ownership was a 550 Hymer Merc rear lounge, it was bombproof, the only reason I parted with it was because the wife was never happy with the small galley area. Enough said.
One thing in Auto-Trails favour is that there is always someone available to give help and advice when things go wrong and you can order parts direct without having to go through a dealer so you are not off the road for long.
American motorhomes was mentioned, the Sunsport that I had delaminated on every body panel and is parked to this day rotting away at a commercial vehicle garage. It was built on a John Deere chassis, had a Cummins diesel and Alison Auto Box. It was an absolute rot box. would I ever have another American motorhome? Never.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
You maybe right but I've not heard of any major Auto-Trail floor problems. My first Auto-Trail was a 634 on a Merc chassis and apart from a cracked shower tray and badly worn fixed carpet it was sound. It's a pity they stopped putting bodies on them. One motorhome which was 100% trouble free throughout its ownership was a 550 Hymer Merc rear lounge, it was bombproof, the only reason I parted with it was because the wife was never happy with the small galley area. Enough said.
One thing in Auto-Trails favour is that there is always someone available to give help and advice when things go wrong and you can order parts direct without having to go through a dealer so you are not off the road for long.
American motorhomes was mentioned, the Sunsport that I had delaminated on every body panel and is parked to this day rotting away at a commercial vehicle garage. It was built on a John Deere chassis, had a Cummins diesel and Alison Auto Box. It was an absolute rot box. would I ever have another American motorhome? Never.

I absolutely rest my case.

This post sums it up, our ability to take sub standard products and pass it on as the norm, it's only a cracked shower tray etc. I have a friend with an autotrail that has has nothing but problems from new which ended up being felt with at hq.

Because we love our hobby so much we walk on through, blind and oblivious to the real crooks. The ones that make these piles of rubbish, from hymer to adria from swift to bailey to burstner, expect to be disappointed and you won't go wrong.:thumb:

From fiat to merc to Renault,

There should be a simple " it leaks sir?" No problems, we cocked it up, we will repair it foc from birth to 20 years.

But it ain't likely.

It would be simple to say why bother, but the joy my MH gives me makes it worthwhile and the manufacture bar stewards bloody know it we're all hooked together :Cool:

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Home brew

Looks like I may go with my original plan and do a covertion I have seen some good nicly finnished ones on the self build forum as long as you follow the rules it should be OK my brother did one himself and lived in it for some years he just loved the freedom he ended up with a big merc job no turbo but it just ploded for ever it had problems which were in the building but it was done to be in sunnier climbs so they did not fit any underfloor insulation so it was cold from the ground up he stillre grets selling it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
[QUOTE=G4OGE;774063]Looks like I may go with my original plan and do a covertion I have seen some good nicly finnished ones on the self build forum as long as you follow the rules it should be OK my brother did one himself and lived in it for some years he just loved the freedom he ended up with a big merc job no turbo but it just ploded for ever it had problems which were in the building but it was done to be in sunnier climbs so they did not fit any underfloor insulation so it was cold from the ground up he stillre grets selling it.[/QUOTE]

No need to go looking at SB forums ::bigsmile: You won't find many better finished/trouble free than Link Removed ::bigsmile::winky:
terry

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
It would be simple to say why bother, but the joy my MH gives me makes it worthwhile and the manufacture bar stewards bloody know it we're all hooked together :Cool:

Funny you should say that as I was thinking that it really isn't worth the bother and the expense.

I am sure I could build one myself with all of the creature comforts that I require for a fraction of the cost.
All I need is some fool to give me a good price on the one I have now and hope that they have the willpower to fight to have the warranty claims sorted.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Funny you should say that as I was thinking that it really isn't worth the bother and the expense.

I am sure I could build one myself with all of the creature comforts that I require for a fraction of the cost.
All I need is some fool to give me a good price on the one I have now and hope that they have the willpower to fight to have the warranty claims sorted.
And for those of us that lack the ability to self build anything meaningful, we will continue paying overinflated money for inferior products and servicing..

I have spent more on MHs tan I have my house :Eeek:

My house has served me better,
My van has given me more pleasure and memories, and the occasional nightmare:winky:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Yes, it's scarey really.
Our MH cost us £3,000 less than our house did. :Eeek:
I know which one will last the longest and be worth a LOT more when I sell it.
We have been in our house now for 25 years and it is still valued at an easy £300,000, even taking into account the housing slump. Houses near me have recently been going for £325,000 to £350,000, no problem.

Our initial idea was to sell the house and full time for a while, even buy a canal boat as a base (permanent mooring providing address etc) and rent it out through an agency or boat rental firm. This is not the case now as we have lost confidence in the MH and it's back up from dealer and manufacturer.
The only way I would feel confident would be to build something that I could easily look after myself. Fulltimers ex prison van is a good example of a larger version, but a decent size Merc van would do as well. One of the 7.5t ones would be ideal.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Swift project anyone ????
190837469082 eBay :cry:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Yes, it's scarey really.
Our MH cost us £3,000 less than our house did. :Eeek:
I know which one will last the longest and be worth a LOT more when I sell it.
We have been in our house now for 25 years and it is still valued at an easy £300,000, even taking into account the housing slump. Houses near me have recently been going for £325,000 to £350,000, no problem.

Our initial idea was to sell the house and full time for a while, even buy a canal boat as a base (permanent mooring providing address etc) and rent it out through an agency or boat rental firm. This is not the case now as we have lost confidence in the MH and it's back up from dealer and manufacturer.
The only way I would feel confident would be to build something that I could easily look after myself. Fulltimers ex prison van is a good example of a larger version, but a decent size Merc van would do as well. One of the 7.5t ones would be ideal.
I used the ex prison wagon because it came up at the right price at the right time, but fully agree the larger Mercs make great campers, have done a few in the past for customers but also built emergency control vehicles for East of England Ambulance Service and Surry Fire Service using the Merc Vario 818's (I think it was), great vans to work on and seem to last forever.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Swift project anyone ????
190837469082 eBay :cry:
Link Removed :winky:
Honest opinion --- it is worth around 2k poss 3k max :Eeek:
you would be looking at near 2/3 k for new boards/cupboards etc, and around 3 to 4 weeks work for 2 people :Sad:-even when all done you would be pushing it to get much more than 10k :Eeek:
Now anyone looking to do it up for themsleves could do away with labour costs if they are handy and only then does it become feasable ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Just to shed some light on why my mates motorhome has damp ingress and wet floors.
The outer side walls don`t go past the floors, they finish about 3mm to 5mm above the bottom of the floor panel, water runs down the side and end panels and down the awning, corner jointing strip.
The bumper and side wall skirts cover this but aren`t sealed so water tracks inside them and soaks into the floor panels.
Clearly a design fault which Swift won`t recognise, apparently the Swift Bolero`s are built the same way...
Nice one Swift....

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just to shed some light on why my mates motorhome has damp ingress and wet floors.
The outer side walls don`t go past the floors, they finish about 3mm to 5mm above the bottom of the floor panel, water runs down the side and end panels and down the awning, corner jointing strip.
The bumper and side wall skirts cover this but aren`t sealed so water tracks inside them and soaks into the floor panels.
Clearly a design fault which Swift won`t recognise, apparently the Swift Bolero`s are built the same way...
Nice one Swift....

You are describing the exact fault they said happened on the 2006 ish vans --Part of the remedy was to alert all dealers telling them to make sure the side skirts etc were sealed during / servicing vans and checking as and when they came in for any warenty work :winky:They also claimed at first it was the flooring they had been supplied that was at fault --anything other than they had produced a van that did not have the walls sealed to the floor :Eeek: seems like they have forgotten the lessons they learned in 2006 ish ::bigsmile:
terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Link Removed :winky:
Honest opinion --- it is worth around 2k poss 3k max :Eeek:
you would be looking at near 2/3 k for new boards/cupboards etc, and around 3 to 4 weeks work for 2 people :Sad:-even when all done you would be pushing it to get much more than 10k :Eeek:
Now anyone looking to do it up for themsleves could do away with labour costs if they are handy and only then does it become feasable ::bigsmile:
terry

Perhaps the warranty will cover it:winky: seriously though why would anyone put a new roof on then try to sell it on in that condition

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Well reading all the posts on this one I wonder whether it is worth taking the plunge and buying a motorhome at all as a long time caravaner I know they to have the same problems I have a swift caravan which has had leak problems but she is an old girl.

I'm sure as was said on some of the posts that they are all not this way but it's a lot of money to spend to find these sort of problems.
A 3 yrs warranty on a fifty grand outlay certainly does not seem very good you would have thought that these sort of problems would have been sorted out long ago as one of the posts said [HI]it's a good job they don't make boats[/HI] if you think of the life span of most cars these days it seems they are a lot better than a motorhome where weathering is concerned and a lot less money.

How do the American made one's shape up?.:Confused:

[HI]I thought they did [/HI]? They are just inside out !!

Here is the latest Kon-tiki being tested for damp on the Humber at Hull.
It is based on the original one that it was once believed made it to Polynesia from South America.

Attachments

• Kontiki.jpg
    Kontiki.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
naughty swift

Well the latest in My Mates saga with Swift just beggars belief.
He had accepted that Swift were not going to help in any way with the water ingress problem despite having being told by more than one Swift dealer that there was infact a design fault which allowed water ingress causing damp and subsequently rotting of the floor.
So the motorhome is booked in with a company to make the repairs all at his own cost, this morning out of the blue Swift phoned him to say they were sorry the claim had been rejected but the reason was it had been passed to the wrong department, in light of him having all the servicing and habitaion checks all recorded by them they would move the claim to their "goodwill" department and although she wasn`t promising anything Swift could offer to share the costs of the repair.
The lady promised to phone back asap. well less than and hour and she phoned back to say Swift wouldn`t be making any offer of assistance as this recognised fault should have been picked up earlier.

Ha what exactly does that mean, so because the Swift dealer doing the servicing and habitation checks didn`t find the fault until the warranty was out of date Swift aren`t liable to honour the warranty.
All you have to do is have someone a bit lazy or not experienced enough and Swift can hide behind the out of date ploy.

Or suppose you kept your motorhome under cover in dry storage for 2 years, it wouldn`t have been exposed to the damp therefore in the last 12 months of the warranty it got damp, this wasn`t picked up with the last habitation service so Swift stick two fingers up to you and say it`s not our fault we build a motorhome with an inherent design fault but because you didn`t let it get wet early enough.

Why on earth did swift phone him dangle a glimmer of hope then snatch it away, dreadful customer care from swift in my opion and certainly they have saved a couple of grand on this one but it has already cost them over £100k because we were both looking at buying a new Bolero.
That now certainly won`t be happening, in these difficult financial times you would have thought Swift would be trying to gain the confidence of excisting and new customers rtaher that driving them away with such shappy treatment.:Doh:

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I wonder if the manufacturers actually read these forums. I know Swift used to before having their own forum - swift talk. If they did, surely they would realise that they are losing sales.
The number of bad posts about Swift and Auto-tail changed my mind when it came to me purchasing my current van.
I accept that there will be one or two problem vans, but when hearing about similar faults and refusing to repair known faults shows a lack of understanding on the power of forums such as this one.
I wish your mate all the best and good luck with his next van.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well the latest in My Mates saga with Swift just beggars belief.
He had accepted that Swift were not going to help in any way with the water ingress problem despite having being told by more than one Swift dealer that there was infact a design fault which allowed water ingress causing damp and subsequently rotting of the floor.
So the motorhome is booked in with a company to make the repairs all at his own cost, this morning out of the blue Swift phoned him to say they were sorry the claim had been rejected but the reason was it had been passed to the wrong department, in light of him having all the servicing and habitaion checks all recorded by them they would move the claim to their "goodwill" department and although she wasn`t promising anything Swift could offer to share the costs of the repair.
The lady promised to phone back asap. well less than and hour and she phoned back to say Swift wouldn`t be making any offer of assistance as this recognised fault should have been picked up earlier.

Ha what exactly does that mean, so because the Swift dealer doing the servicing and habitation checks didn`t find the fault until the warranty was out of date Swift aren`t liable to honour the warranty.
All you have to do is have someone a bit lazy or not experienced enough and Swift can hide behind the out of date ploy.

Or suppose you kept your motorhome under cover in dry storage for 2 years, it wouldn`t have been exposed to the damp therefore in the last 12 months of the warranty it got damp, this wasn`t picked up with the last habitation service so Swift stick two fingers up to you and say it`s not our fault we build a motorhome with an inherent design fault but because you didn`t let it get wet early enough.

Why on earth did swift phone him dangle a glimmer of hope then snatch it away, dreadful customer care from swift in my opion and certainly they have saved a couple of grand on this one but it has already cost them over £100k because we were both looking at buying a new Bolero.
That now certainly won`t be happening, in these difficult financial times you would have thought Swift would be trying to gain the confidence of excisting and new customers rtaher that driving them away with such shappy treatment.:Doh:

It's a pity your mate did not record the conversation's He could always ask Swift to reply in writing :thumb: but doubt they will,beside they monitor this web site along with others so I doubt they will admit anything in writing -as things stand we only have your mates word as to the conversation ::bigsmile: May I say now I have no doubt on either yours oryour mates recollection :winky: It is typical of Swifts aproch since the 2006 ish saga and I fear they got new management since PETER left (I assume) because he definately did not want Swift getting / having a bad name - how unlucky :winky: all his good work has gone down the toilet :Eeek:
terry

OP
OP
robnchris
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
I wonder if the manufacturers actually read these forums. I know Swift used to before having their own forum - swift talk. If they did, surely they would realise that they are losing sales.
The number of bad posts about Swift and Auto-tail changed my mind when it came to me purchasing my current van.
I accept that there will be one or two problem vans, but when hearing about similar faults and refusing to repair known faults shows a lack of understanding on the power of forums such as this one.

Thanks for the well wishes, to be honest my mate and his wife are mortified, they have looked after this motorhome completly followed the rules of servicing and checks as per Swifts instruction to the letter so to have this happen has broken their hearts.

Any one be it a restaurant or motorhome manufacturer can have problems, that is only to be expected, it`s how the problem is dealt with that divides the superior successful companies from the poorly run.
In his eyes Swift are at the bottom of the pile and they have lost someone who was a loyal customer.
Let`s hope Swift do read through this thread it might prick the conscience and make them realise they are losing buisness and getting a bad name in the process by treating it`s customers so badly.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Swift

How aboutt about parking outside their premises with a great big sign on the motorhome just letting the passers by know how Swift treat customers. Contact the local newspapers and national motorhome magazines to let them know what is going to happen and get them to report. Be interseting to see what develops.

Swift Group Limited
Dunswell Road,
Cottingham
East Yorkshire
HU16 4JX
United Kingdom

These blokes might help if this is still correct. The Swift Group, Britain’s largest caravan, motorhome and holiday home manufacturer, has announced the appointment of James Turner as Managing Director and Amy Archer as Deputy Managing Director.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Have they had any response from the dealer?
I would be printing flyers and banners -then parking up on the road at the side of the dealer-that way they may well get the desired outcome. After all the dealer will not want to suffer so he would be getting onto the Swift lot very quickly :thumb: Then if Swift do not do the right thing at least they will have warned a lot of what would have been potential customers of the quality of what is major purchase
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How aboutt about parking outside their premises with a great big sign on the motorhome just letting the passers by know how Swift treat customers. Contact the local newspapers and national motorhome magazines to let them know what is going to happen and get them to report. Be interseting to see what develops.

Swift Group Limited
Dunswell Road,
Cottingham
East Yorkshire
HU16 4JX
United Kingdom

::bigsmile:::bigsmile: posted as I typed :thumb:
There have been sucesses using these tacktics for very little outlay but at the dealer premiss

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
[HI]I wonder if the manufacturers actually read these forums. [/HI]I know Swift used to before having their own forum - swift talk. If they did, surely they would realise that they are losing sales.

I posted a link to this thread on the Swift forum but apparently you can only read a certain number of posts unless you pay your dues ... which reminds me :Doh:
Sorry for the folk, but thanks to the OP for bringing this to our attention.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Swift came off my list of potentials a long time ago from reading these forums.....

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Notice swift dont have a page on facebook,wonder why:winky:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I would not want any cardboard eurobox
unless they stop using wood frames and start using some form of 1 piece ABS plastic which I know can be done, I will not be getting one

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back