LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Any paddlers on here then ? Great hobby to have with a motor home.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
So long as the puddles aren’t too deep, I’m in!(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Yea.. i enjoy a paddle... but not on a board... or at least ive never tried stand up paddle boarding..
Could never see the sense in it ... looked like a calm water activity , but ive since seen folk who are good on them in moving water and waves , and changed my mind(y)
Andy.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I would love to try it but I think I would struggle to get back on the board if I fell off.

The paddle boarding santas in Bristol are great fun.

95C6E7BD-DEF3-460A-9F59-742B6EEDF7C3.jpeg

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I'm planning on trying some land paddling in the near future (basically paddling on a skate/long board)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
What board have you got? I was looking at a Red Paddle Co board, but they are soooo expensive.
I have a Red Paddle 10.8. I've had 2 other makes but this is best quality. Last ages, v v durable and keep their value. The 10.6 is also great and the 11.3 sport if you want to be nippy. Don't cut costs with your board, they're all you've got when on a large body of water !! Getonthewateruk sell Jobes if you want to pay less for a good board, great service too, enter chat and ask for Gareth. Good postage options. We had the jobe Duna .

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We have just given a Hydroforce Oceana to our daughter for Xmas. She has hired boards before and enjoyed it. It came in a pack that includes a seat so she can us it as a kayak as well.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have a red paddle 10.8 because I'm a big boy. I really enjoy it ok it's not jet skiing or windsurfing etc. But it's cheap good relaxing fun. Spend good money on one they are not all made equal if you have room get a solid board I personally think there better to paddle. Another thing to consider is a better paddle but that can wait but I'll buy one before it gets warmer this year.

Attachments

• 1020848.jpg
    1020848.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
I have a red paddle, but take a look at “2 bare feet” just as good imo and half the price. The mate I paddle with has one.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I had a go in the summer , it looks really lovely and I enjoyed it but it is fair to say I was a bit rubbish, I will be giving it another try !

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am an expert at it.

Well actually the truth is my wife and daughter are really good at it and I am really good at falling off:mad:

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
I'm actually a qualified instructor, it was a one day course to transfer my canoeing and kayaking coaching qualifications. We deliver it at work and have fifteen Red inflatable SUPs in various sizes and it is a popular activity. Personally I cannot see the point in SUP it is probably the most inefficient way to propel a craft through the water, although apparently it's good for your core!

That said if I didn't have a roof rack fitted for the kayaks I would have a couple of inflatables in the garage as nothing beats messing about on the water.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Personally I cannot see the point in SUP it is probably the most inefficient way to propel a craft through the water, although apparently it's good for your core!

That said if I didn't have a roof rack fitted for the kayaks I would have a couple of inflatables in the garage as nothing beats messing about on the water.[/QUOTE]

I agree it is'nt efficient but it is fun! We have a triple kayak but only 2 can paddle. We hope that having a SUP will mean that we can all paddle together (but with a teenager you never know! )

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
For me it's not speed or A to B, tho I have mates who can belt it on one !! For me it's the sound of the water, sneaking up on, or watching, wildlife, relaxing and having fresh air and exercise.
Personally I cannot see the point in SUP it is probably the most inefficient way to propel a craft through the water, although apparently it's good for your core!

That said if I didn't have a roof rack fitted for the kayaks I would have a couple of inflatables in the garage as nothing beats messing about on the water.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
We have two Red Paddle 10'8". Had one and got impatient waiting for each other to finish using it.
As we only live 70 yds from the beach we keep ours pumped up and ready to go as soon as conditions are OK.
Over the summer we upped our game and regularly do six mile trips.
Great workout for the core. Since taking it up we have both lost two stone .
The plan is to master riding the waves in on them.
Straight forward stand up is like riding a bicycle. Once you get the balance the confidence soars.
I find riding waves more difficult. You have to change stance as the wave picks you up and I still fall off a lot.
The beauty of SUP is that you don't have to stand when starting out you can kneel and then build up to standing.
We have invested in winter wetsuits so we can still enjoy it at this time of year.
Just packed both boards up and in MH ready for 3 month trip down to Spain next week. Looking forward to paddling the Med.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
how hard is it?
I had a go in the summer , it looks really lovely and I enjoyed it but it is fair to say I was a bit rubbish, I will be giving it another try !
I’ve fancied having a go since they started appearing a few years ago and when we were in Greece last year some of our friends turned up with one on their boat, so I had a go. It’s hard to start with and needs a lot of concentration, but I did quite well and we will be getting one before we go back in May.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Picking up this thread again as looking for advice from experienced SUP'ers.
We are very much beginners. Had a go on a friend's board last summer and loved it.
Which size/style/make would you suggest we look at. The range available is just bewildering for those with no knowledge at all. We will need one that packs away into a bag suitable as a hold bag.
Thanks in advance.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back