Suggestions for Visiting Norway in November (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2021
Saundersfoot, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hello Funsters… thinking of a change from our usual Spain and Portugal trip next October and thinking of planning a trip to Norway instead, can anyone give any advice and suggestions as what places to visit and what weather conditions for us to expect?? Thanks in advance for any advice 👍👍.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We would like to do Scandinavia but I think we will go in June/July. Even France is rubbish in November let alone anywhere further north.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Bclass ML 780T
Exp
Since 2003
Snow tyres are a legal requirement, I think, certainly are in Sweden at that time. Mind you, it may depend how far north you'll venture.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This should give you an idea. Oslo is in the south.
Norway Weather in November
In Oslo, there's a 33 percent chance of rain or snow on an average day. It is cold in the south with average temperatures ranging between -1°C and 4°C. The north experiences little to no daylight and the weather can switch quickly from fall to winter and vice versa.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
I would check how many daylight hours there are

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
Wandering Bird gives a thorough evaluation of Norway, well worth a read.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
My main issue would be lack of daylight. I’d love to visit Norway but I’d like to see it so would go in summer.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
its a stunning country with nice people. but, expensive and driving great distances are challenging. I have only ever been there between January and March mainly western areas from Bergen up to Tromso but on several occasions, never in a motorhome.

i have driven quite a bit and it can be quite exciting along the sides of the Fjords :LOL: . How much rain or snow that will be around will really depend on where you are heading and how far north you intend to go.

you will need to do a bit of homework on where to get LPG as you are likely to use quite a bit not least on your heating.

Wherever you go you will almost certainly be further north than any part of mainland Scotland so as has already been said in November daylight is an issue and when the sun goes down it gets cold very quickly, you cold end up with very long cold nights.

info on tyres etc :-

lights

Mandatory day time running light
Triangle

Safety equipment for carsWarning triangle
Reflective vest in the car
Fire extinguisher – only in buses
Winter Tires

Mandatory use of winter tyres
Winter tyres are mandatory for heavy goods vehicles beyond 3.5 tons from 15 November to 31 March. Heavy goods vehicles beyond 3,5 tons are also required to be equipped with tyres with a tread depth of at least 5 mm and a sufficient number of snow chains.
Studded tyres may only be used between 1 November and the first Monday after Easter Monday. In the counties of Nordland, Troms and Finnmark, studded tyres may be used from 16 October up to and including 30 April. There are no such date restrictions when it comes to non-studded winter tyres.
The vehicle must have winter tyres (studded or non-studded), chains or similar also outside of the periods mentioned above if this is necessary in order to ensure sufficient road grip. If snow or ice can be expected on the roads, the vehicle must carry chains regardless of the time of year.

OP
OP
Ryan prince
Nov 4, 2021
Saundersfoot, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
its a stunning country with nice people. but, expensive and driving great distances are challenging. I have only ever been there between January and March mainly western areas from Bergen up to Tromso but on several occasions, never in a motorhome.

i have driven quite a bit and it can be quite exciting along the sides of the Fjords :LOL: . How much rain or snow that will be around will really depend on where you are heading and how far north you intend to go.

you will need to do a bit of homework on where to get LPG as you are likely to use quite a bit not least on your heating.

Wherever you go you will almost certainly be further north than any part of mainland Scotland so as has already been said in November daylight is an issue and when the sun goes down it gets cold very quickly, you cold end up with very long cold nights.

info on tyres etc :-

lights

Mandatory day time running light
Triangle

Safety equipment for carsWarning triangle
Reflective vest in the car
Fire extinguisher – only in buses
Winter Tires

Mandatory use of winter tyres
Winter tyres are mandatory for heavy goods vehicles beyond 3.5 tons from 15 November to 31 March. Heavy goods vehicles beyond 3,5 tons are also required to be equipped with tyres with a tread depth of at least 5 mm and a sufficient number of snow chains.
Studded tyres may only be used between 1 November and the first Monday after Easter Monday. In the counties of Nordland, Troms and Finnmark, studded tyres may be used from 16 October up to and including 30 April. There are no such date restrictions when it comes to non-studded winter tyres.
The vehicle must have winter tyres (studded or non-studded), chains or similar also outside of the periods mentioned above if this is necessary in order to ensure sufficient road grip. If snow or ice can be expected on the roads, the vehicle must carry chains regardless of the time of year.
Many Thanks for that information and I’ll start my research 🧐

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
Wrap up warm and make sure the van is fully winterised. I have been to Tromso many times in winter, not in the van. There is very little daylight (sun disappears in November and reappears in late January). There can be metres of snow on the ground and temperatures below -10C.
It is a great place to visit, one year the film festival was on and they had large screens made of snow showing the films, people were sat outside in negative temperatures watching them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back