Sub-zero tonight (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
This means another precautionary drain down of the water system and Truma boiler, for us.

Only last week I refilled it and made sure it was all working so we could have a day out in the PVC, believing the balmy spring weather is here to stay!

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
This means another precautionary drain down of the water system and Truma boiler, for us.

Only last week I refilled it and made sure it was all working so we could have a day out in the PVC, believing the balmy spring weather is here to stay!
Dont think it will permeate that far in, its not to low and the earth is warm

• Informative
Reactions: DJT
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Don't take it from me but unless you live in Scotland or somewhere north, I don't think there will be anything to cause much damage now.
Might cut your plants off in the garden though :(

OP
OP
SpeedyDux
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Dont think it will permeate that far in, its not to low and the earth is warm

The pesky house builders omitted the under-drive heating!

If it's cold enough tonight to freeze the bird bath completely solid, as I expect it will be at -2 celsius, I'm not going to take any avoidable risks with my water pump and taps, or the Truma.

OP
OP
SpeedyDux
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Don't take it from me but unless you live in Scotland or somewhere north, I don't think there will be anything to cause much damage now.
Might cut your plants off in the garden though :(

I've seen worse in Sussex when we lived in a notorious frost hollow area. It fell to -16 and my car engine froze solid despite the antifreeze in the coolant. After it defrosted I had to hammer the core plugs back into the engine block. Luckily it hadn't cracked. Good old BMC.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I was going to fill and test the boiler today, ready for our trip in a couple of weeks but I'll leave it for now, I have turned the outside taps on, might have to turn them off again for a day or two

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Snowing in Kent but roads still passable!😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It would have to be cold for quite a while to cause the interior etc to freeze not just the odd slightly cold night. I put water in ours last week to recommission it and check everything was working okay (hadn't done this since it had it's hab check in December) and left the water in, not worried about it.

We've had lovely sunny days here, quite windy at times, but this morning at 6.33 when the dog decided she wanted to go out it was snowing, only very lightly and now it's beautiful again and warm.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I set my heating in the van for 5C also have a small panel heater on a timer overnight.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
As long as you have turned off the 12v supply to the pump you should be OK not draining down. The Frost preventer valve may kick in at the low temperature. That will do its job and drop the water in the boiler. If that does happen just reset it when you next get in the van. By having the 12v supply for the pump switch turned off this will prevent the pump just starting up and running until found.
In fact this happened to us back in December 2019 when we were living full time in the van. We were to visit family for the day. As the intention was to return to the van the following day and no forecast for cold weather, no heating on and 12v supply still on. Good lady was taken ill at parents house some 120 miles from the van. Taken to hospital and admitted for surgery, there she stayed for 6 days and i with family. There was a cold snap after a couple of days away. Asked someone to check on the van and informed could not see water under the van. Returned to van some 10 days after abandoning it to discover the valve had kicked in and pump was happily pumping away nothing.
I thought the pump would have burnt out. Refilled the water and pump worked OK until it failed in July 2020. Never found out if its failure was linked.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
It would have to be cold for quite a while to cause the interior etc to freeze not just the odd slightly cold night. I put water in ours last week to recommission it and check everything was working okay (hadn't done this since it had it's hab check in December) and left the water in, not worried about it.

We've had lovely sunny days here, quite windy at times, but this morning at 6.33 when the dog decided she wanted to go out it was snowing, only very lightly and now it's beautiful again and warm.
We’ve had brilliant sunshine since sunrise here in Donny, no snow or rain at all, the suns still blazin, albeit a bit cool round lug holes👍

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
I've seen worse in Sussex when we lived in a notorious frost hollow area. It fell to -16 and my car engine froze solid despite the antifreeze in the coolant. After it defrosted I had to hammer the core plugs back into the engine block. Luckily it hadn't cracked. Good old BMC.
Those ?were the days,

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Watch out for your seedlings too.
Mini greenhouses 👇😁

20210405_124515.jpg

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Good old -4 last night with a slight peppering of snow which the southern areas call a heavy snowfall. Our 3 hedgehogs will certainly feel a shock coming out to this. They have been out for two weeks now and very hungry.

Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion
Very cold in Northumberland, minus 3 last night. I have water in tanks and have not drained the water boiler. im on ehu so switched winter pack tank heaters on, pit whale heating and water boiler on frost setting. No probs today, have warmed cab through and heated the water up ok

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I butchered the gas locker this week so I could fit a 6 and 13kg bottle instead of just 2 x 6kg.

The only big bottle I had was butane (once empty it will be swopped to propane), and it stopped gassing last night, about 3am sending the fire into a piezo frenzy....
I am in the van on family drive at the mo so it won't freeze the inside pipes but there was an icicle from the waste tank to the bucket this morning....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I butchered the gas locker this week so I could fit a 6 and 13kg bottle instead of just 2 x 6kg.

The only big bottle I had was butane (once empty it will be swopped to propane), and it stopped gassing last night, about 3am sending the fire into a piezo frenzy....
I am in the van on family drive at the mo so it won't freeze the inside pipes but there was an icicle from the waste tank to the bucket this morning....
Any lump hammers utilised? :giggle:

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I was BBQing on Saturday, then draining down the camper on Sunday before the big freeze came in.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hubby has just mentioned draining ours down again, I've told him not to bother for one night, after all when we've been in it an much lower temperatures we've never had any issues, if it looks like it's gonna be really cold during the day and evening for a while though will review the decision.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hubby has just mentioned draining ours down again, I've told him not to bother for one night, after all when we've been in it an much lower temperatures we've never had any issues, if it looks like it's gonna be really cold during the day and evening for a while though will review the decision.
Yeah but you’re talking Northern cold, they’re talking southern cold. You know where you might take a jumper with you😂😂❄️.

Feb 21, 2021
Falkirk Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 2021
Yesterday I filled the fresh water tank to try out the Combi Truma Boiler, hot water/shower etc its still got 75% in there with the next few days to be Approx. -3 do you have to drain down or would keeping the heating at Approx. 20C be okay for all pipework. I am currently on EHU.

OnlyJen

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2021
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Hymer Ayers Rock
Exp
motorhoming, campervanning and caravanning since 1990. Wine drinking since eternity.
I'm just leaving my heater on for the night. It's an eberspacher diesel so quite economical.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back