stupid rules

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by cruiser, May 18, 2017.

1. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

My son Has got his PSV licence. But because he did not pass his driving test for his car until after they changed. He can not drive a 7.5 ton. So a quick question . If he brought a d/decker bus and converted it to a m/home could he be legal to drive it.??

2. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

If you meen he has his C1 I would say yes

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. cruiser

No does not, just a basic licence But he does have a full PSV.

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

In the eyes of the DVLA (dickhead vehicle licensing arseholes) they are two different classes and not connected, never mind the coach/bus might weigh twelve tonne unladen. :mad:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Funster

It depends on the weight of the bus, but the old Routemaster had a MAM of around 12.5 tonnes (12500 Kgs) so he would need a class C license if it was registered as a motorhome, if it was still registered as a bus than he would need a class D license. I believe.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I believe he would need to keep a certain number of seats, keep it registered as a bus, keep the tacho, take the PSV MOT tests and rules. It might also be necessary to have an operators CPC license? All guesses. However I think it would actually be cheaper for him to go for the C1 test which is relatively easy (I passed it after 2 days training.)
    He should pass it no problems if he has already done the PSV test. Might actually be worth going for the full C test as he is used to driving big vehicles he should nail it pretty easily.

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy Funster

I think going for the C1 licence is the way to go. Should be a piece of cake compared with getting his PSV licence.

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

As he has a D licence, then as said previously, a C or C1 would be probably no more difficult. However, I think (and easily stand corrected) you have to have a C1 before you can go for a C licence.
    The CPC (I believe (not the driver CPC)) wouldn't be needed because it's a private vehicle as opposed to commercial.
    Fortunately, I got my licence prior to 1997 before those changes but many moons before, you could have the old large HGV L plate (or PSV L plate) alongside a standard L plate on HGV or PSV vehicle and pass the appropriate classes. So you'd get C, C1, C +E (if an artic) and B.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I believe you are wrong there, You need a B before you can go for C or C1. But you don't need a C1 to go for C nor a D1 to go for a D. To go for a C+E you need to get your C first then go for the +E entitlement.

CPC is not needed for private use of a C. However as he has his D I presume he already has his Drivers Qual Card anyway.

I did my CPC in 2015 because I was tempted to get out of the computer industry for a bit and fancied driving... Seems strange carrying 3 driving cards in my wallet :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

As I said, easily stand corrected but at a time past, you could take your B licence at the same time as class 1 licence (C +E) by taking your test in an artic but must display large HGV L plate and standard L plate.
    Those you've stated are applicable since 1997 and go stage by stage. Prior to 1997, after obtaining your B licence, you could go in for C + E (class 1) without having to get C licence (class 3). If you got C +E and then took D licence, you got D +E by default because of C + E.
    However, things change and move on and that's how it is. I know what you mean about cards, I have an ADR card too.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

When I did my PSV (before Class D was thought about) we had a guy who only had a provisional licence in training with us. When he passed the PSV test he automatically got his car licence. Another friend used to drive up on his motorbike with L plates on and get into a double decker for his days driving work.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Eeeeee, when I was a lad you could go straight from a car licence to 40 tons, and I do mean tons not tonnes :whistle::LOL::LOL::LOL:

• Like it Like it x 2
  13. Silver-Fox

Silver-Fox Funster

I did my PAC a few years back just for the hell of it.
    I to fancied a change from the building game then thought bugger all those prays I would have to deal with so gave it a miss.

I can't understand why I can drive a 12 ton coach/bus unladen but not an RV over 7.5
    It's bizarre.

I know the law because it's lorry based but just think driving a coach and 50 odd passengers on board.

14. cruiser

I also went straight from my car licence to a HGV1. And I had a motorcycle full licence. But when I moved to Watford From London they took of my full m/cylcle and only gave me a learner one. I did not notice till I went to buy a motorcycle . And found that I could only get a 150 cc bike . and had to put l plates up to go to work driving my HGV one. Much to the amusement of my so called mates.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Yes that is true AND you could drive on the Motorway as a learner in the Artic but not a car.
    These rules are as stupid as those that made them.. As far as I am concerned When you look out the front of a screen there is very little difference between a C1 c and a D it is all behind you with a bit of difference in the width and length. The judgement comes after a few miles in all of them.

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

When it comes to it a friend sent his bike licence in for the change and got back the new plastic one without the motorcycle on it and had to go through the whole thing again. to ride the same bike he had for years. I will NOT SEND anything to them without a copy being held as they WILL NOT believe a word of what you tell them. Police motorcycle cop and then after years doing it you have to train on a little one and pass the tests again, because of a clerical error????????????

• Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  17. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Well it didn't appear stupid at the time and neither did the pre 1997 rules and I imagine that the changes would have reflected in better driving standards but IMHO, I think they are worse now than ever. It's all hindsight.

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Pre 1997 you USUALLY* got C1+E automatically which equates to the old class 3. (7.5 tons plus trailer)
    Class 2 (C) was rigid vehicle up to 30(?) tons (no trailer entitlement).
    Then of course, class 1 (C+E)

(* for reasons unknown not everyone was awarded C1+E)

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. cruiser

They will not give back my full M/bike licence , They say as the test centre in Brixton burned down they have no records of my passing the test.

20. PeteH

PeteH Funster

In the early 60`s they brought out an HGV (Lorry) licence, but if you had been driving Lorries you could apply for "Granddad" Rights!. The "Gaffer" signed off my "Ticket", because I`d been driving his Lorry for the 6 months that was all originally required. (Many) years later they changed the rules again requiring a Medical. Which because I was spending so much time outside the UK passed me by, losing me my granddad rights!.:( When I took early retirement, I went into doing a "Self Build". After which I got bored and went for a Job driving the Library van,(y) which I failed to get,(n) Because?, My Granddads Right had gone!.:( After giving the DVLA (dickhead vehicle licensing arseholes), a piece of my Mind! I discovered that as a "Technically" unemployed over 50, I qualified for a Government backed Course to Train HGV drivers!, which gave me back my HGV!.(y) (at Gordon`s Expense!:whistle:). to me a total Win Win!(y)(y)

• Like it Like it x 1