Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Eeeeee, when I was a lad you could go straight from a car licence to 40 tons, and I do mean tons not tonnes :whistle::LOL::LOL::LOL:
NAW! you couldn't, in those days it was only 32 ton so there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:giggle: I remember those days and I lost out as a transport manager The UNION objected to my having a licence under Grandfathers right and driving company trucks.
What kind of person makes rules like those and then makes so many caveats that you cnnot understand where you are, typical moronic bureaucrats.

Last edited:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
passed my bike test at 16, car test at 17, was driving coaches and d/d buses at 21, passed class 1 at 23.
if i remember correctly, it was 32 tons then went to 38 tons.
in them days you could tow an artic (suspended tow) with a class 3, then dvla changed the law.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Anything to do with DVLA. Is designed for three purposes. 1) Create revenue for the "state". 2) Keep an increasing number of Bums polishing shiny seats. 3) Increase the remuneration of department heads, who get rewarded (Like all civil service cadres) by the number of personnel in any department, the more you have the more you get paid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Anything to do with DVLA. Is designed for three purposes. 1) Create revenue for the "state". 2) Keep an increasing number of Bums polishing shiny seats. 3) Increase the remuneration of department heads, who get rewarded (Like all civil service cadres) by the number of personnel in any department, the more you have the more you get paid.

DVLA cannot change the law, which must be changed by Parliament, or under Delegated Legislation granted to the Department for Transport and signed by the Minister for Transport.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
When you have to update or change your license due to house move etc.
I keep hold of the old one then destroy it when the new one comes through after checking all is good :D

They do ask you to return the old licence, but I think that is only to ensure as many licences as possible are destroyed by them, especially since the photocard licence is now accepted as proof of identity by some organisations.

For the reasons that Silver Fox gave, I wanted to retain mine and phoned DVLA explaining that my MH was on the road in Poland(well our yard is near the road;)) and I could be required to produce it and they, unlike UK Police, have no access to DVLA. DVLA readily agreed to my retaining it and commented they do agree same for HGV drivers who may have to go to the Continent while awaiting new licence. So they are obviously flexible on the need to return.

Geoff

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
DVLA cannot change the law, which must be changed by Parliament, or under Delegated Legislation granted to the Department for Transport and signed by the Minister for Transport.

Geoff
whilst that is true who would the goverment of the day go to for advice obviously in this case dvla This is the problem with a lot of what happens in this country they take advice from the retailers of a service and not the customers, the opposite of what happens in a company that has to generate income without the benifit of a monopoly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I quite simply did not return mine. They sent the new one anyway. So Now I have 2 (obviously 1 is expired!). If they had asked I`d have just said it was in the envelope have a look in your post department?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back