Studded winter tyres and old age (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
I made a change of Tyre plan this year. After my 6000 km run to the UK and back, I could see the wear on the all season tyres was too much with the softer rubber compound needed on winterish tyres. So I went for a set of summer tyres and a set of studded winter tyres both on steel rims so I could change them my self at home.

20211101_133117.jpg

I used a scissor and hydraulic jack together as it was easier to lift the MH, now my MH is under 3500Kg and its empty and this is where the old age comes in. I can do the car tyre change as if I am 25 again, no issue đź’Ş however with the MH weight and tyre/rim weight its a case of using the dynamics of physics to help one.

This change is being done at home, in the garden, on a sunny day, no traffic, no stress, no SWIMBO, loads of space, home and MH tools and still its not as easy as I thought. Wheel one was the hardest as it was a learning curve, wheel two was just 20 minuets as I was better educated and all the kit was in the right place.

20211101_133955.jpg

Tyre and rim fitted, air pressure correct, nuts torqued; I now need some ice and snow and then I can let you all know how it feels to drive with these tyres on ice! :cool:

Many here have now got their winter tyres on and I can hear that winter clickty clack in the shopping carparks and roads as cars move around on the tarmac with studs in their tyres, its a sound you will never hear in the UK and I like it. Its also how I like hearing the geese overhead in their thousands as they migrate from the northern feeding grounds to their winter homes. There is a feeling in me now that its time to prepare for a quite dramatic change in the weather, the log shed is full, the leaves cleared, I have swapped over the lawn mower with the snow blower, I have chains ready for the garden tractor, bags of grit for our paths and we are nearly ready for winter now.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They look like a good snow tyre even without the studs(y) what are they? enjoy the snow.

EDIT and now I answer my own question, these possibly.
Nokian Hakkapeliitta C3

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA C3

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Surprised about your comment the wear rate of 4 season tyres. I have winter tyres on my van not noticed any wear rate difference over summer tyres. Quite a few of us on the forum run winter tyres without any problems.

I'm wondering if 4 season & winter tyres depending on the area they are supplied to have different compounds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
I'm wondering if 4 season & winter tyres depending on the area they are supplied to have different compounds.
You may be right, when I arrived in the Northern Baltics I had Michelin cross-climate all season tyres on my car, they even have the three peaks and snowflake sign. The tyre man here laughed and said they may be winter tyres in western Europe but they are useless here. This morning its 0 degrees and the summer tyres are a stiff as metal, where I fan flex the rubber compound on the winter tyres.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Just a comment on that hydraulic trolley jack. You may think the wheels on the jack are simply for convenience, to slide the jack under the right point. But in fact they are part of the whole lifting mechanism..

As the jacking arm lifts, it moved in an arc, not straight up like a bottle jack. The wheels are to allow the base to move, when the lifting point stays in the same position. The jack needs to be on a smooth base to allow this movement.

The movement is not very much, and once the wheel is off the ground the whole van body can move. However there's the danger of the end of the jack arm sliding off the lifting point. Ideally you should put the jack on a smooth surface, something like that big piece of plank next to it is what you need.

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
Just a comment on that hydraulic trolley jack. You may think the wheels on the jack are simply for convenience, to slide the jack under the right point. But in fact they are part of the whole lifting mechanism..
I was aware of this and you are absolutely right and its good of you to highlight this. I did try the wood but the wheels made indents into the wood and got stuck. I was too lazy to get a paving slab and relied on the scissor jack to take the weight if the other jack failed. I was wrong and took a calculated risk.

This forum is great at sharing information and helping each other and your input is very valuable and welcome. Thank you autorouter

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
I run our car on winter tyres from about now
Might get it done later this week
It's a fair task to do by the time you have done all four :rolleyes:
Some winters it's justified others probably not
Will probably change to four seasons when the summer tyres are needing changed. :unsure:

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
You won't be coming to the UK on studded tyre I presume
As far as I'm aware they are not permitted here.
I can go as far south as Lithuania, North to Finland is OK, just need to check the rules on a ferry. To be frank I am unlikely to go further than a day out by the sea 50 Km with a flask of tea and some sprat sandwiches. But at least I can (y)

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
just need to check the rules on a ferry.
For any one who may be interested I did an internet chat with Tallink ferries who operate from Tallinn to Finland and Sweden and vehicles with studded tyres are most welcome. may be of interest and if its not sorry to wast your time :love:

heppy1952

Free Member
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Uk forces used studded tyres in the 70s when I was in the Shetlands.

May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
I've had the pleasure of driving with studded tyres on snow. Unbelievable sensation.

Also bought a cheap set of knobbly tyres for my Landrover 109 once. They were made in Indonesia and if you parked up when it was cold it felt like driving on square wheels till the tyres warmed up and the flat spots disappeared.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
I remember running a set of studded tyres on my Saab back in the late 70’s/early 80’s. That was in the Peak District Derbyshire when we still used to get a fair bit of snow. When did it become illegal to use them in the U.K.?
The under arch pinging was annoying as they cam out when speed increased though lol

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Following Northern Boy post becided it was time to fit the winter shoes :cold: should keep the cold weather away for a while now they are on

Attachments

• 20211103_120153.jpg
    20211103_120153.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 46
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Snow chains are just evil
Even the easy fit ones are a challenge and the ones you get with hire cars for the Alps airports are really nasty
Sold the last set I had last winter (they didn't fit current car) and not planning to get others.
If it's bad enough to need them I'm not going out
Most winters I don't really need the winter tyres but they are nice to have where we are

OP
OP
Northern Boy
Sep 22, 2020
Baltics
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Feel like an old timer
I've had the pleasure of driving with studded tyres on snow. Unbelievable sensation.
Its quite amazing, you realize that with the right tyres you don't need 4 wheel drive. Its also the ability to stop on ice which is extraordinary. One still needs to be aware and drive accordingly but the sensation is as you say unbelievable (y)

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
About 1955 though I could be out a couple of years either side
Really?? I know I wasn’t the only one running them at the time and I definitely wasn’t driving when I was 2 lol

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Really?? I know I wasn’t the only one running them at the time and I definitely wasn’t driving when I was 2 lol
My dad bought an Opal and it had studded tyres on
Went to work in it and ended up getting nicked.. The only time he ever fell foul of the law ( that I know of any way ! )

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Anyone using blanket covers.

<Broken link removed>

Join us or log in to post a reply.