Storing Crockery for travelling (1 Viewer)

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Any tips for the best way to store crockery, saucepans, glasses, etc. safely and securely for travelling. We have plenty of cupboard space but no racks or holders fitted, have lined all the cupboards with anti slip matting and am looking for storage suggestions and ideas, many thanks (y)

Deleted User
Sorry but I am unable to get on with the plastic. It may be pschycological but my occasional glass of wine or beer never tastes the way it should out of plastic.

As so many have said above a little simple packing - and believe me mine is simple - like many others I use kitchen roll.

The only breakages have been my clumsiness - sometimes as a result of exceeding the recommended dose. It just does not taste right out of plastic. Sorry, now then ....:wine:
To me plastic is fun, it brings to mind, gigs, cocktails by the pool, outside drinking all good fun stuff which is what being away in the mh is :)

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We use non slip matting or kitchen towel, but I did manage to buy felt circles from Dunelm which work well. I also put small cushions in the lockers to stop any rattles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We also use China and glass. If you have plenty of cupboard space you could use a Fiamma Omni Stop and dense foam as in the pictures below. It could fit more cups/mugs with better planning but there are only two of us so there was no need for me to be too fussy (y)
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
But were not at home were Camping!!! and have been for the last 50 years even though we are a lot more comfortably off now!! there are some lovely sets out there, and my cupboard is chock a block with plates and dishes of all sizes/mugs/and glasses (plastic coloured wine/tumbler, oh I do have glass tot glasses whiskey and liqueur wouldn't taste the same I agree there. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We got some stemless wineglasses, free with wine, just before we went away in September, they came in individual boxes. store well in our now limited space. also use arcopal type plates, take 1 'proper' cereal bowl for john and i use an Ikea kids bowl, take a few great for nibbles too. we do have bone china mugs for our tea, wrap them in the matting stuff.
Take polycarbonate glasses with us when we take the grandchildren, also use paper plates, or even just a sheet of kitchen roll for snacks, doesn't work for soup though ;)
We still haven't worked out best storage solutions for this van, but might be getting there.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Upvote 0
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
This is what I did. We've got a PVC and therefore some of the cupboards are angled. I didn't want to drill holes or put loads of screw holes so I made a rack with doweling and two supporting sides which were cut to the exact size of the cupboard and are therefore self supporting.

To get the supporting sides cut perfectly I made a couple of templates out of cardboard and trimmed as necessary to get them to fit. Then I simply drew the outline on the plywood, cut to size and drill holes to hold the doweling. No glue, no screws and made perfect use of the small cupboard.

IMG_2756.JPG
IMG_2757.JPG
IMG_2758.JPG

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
I'm actually a convert from a 30ft yacht to my first motor home. Hopefully the MH will not bounce around like the yacht did in stormso_O. I hated plastic and used normal items with a simple wooden devider for each section and a rubber mat. Never noticed any rattles etc. Wine just never tasted the same in plastic the same as beer doesnt.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want to add shelves easily this is a good way to do it - I used small plastic push in supports (as used for kitchen cupboards at home) with some plywood for the shelf covered in a piece of vinyl flooring. Apart from cutting the shelf to size all that was required was 4 small holes, 2 at either side of the cupboard, to push the shelf supports into, it was very easy to do and if you need to remove them all they leave are 4 small holes which you can cover with stick on blobs/plastic covers if you want, or just leave the shelf in when you sell it as the next owner would probably want them any way!

upload_2015-11-22_12-27-3.jpeg

I changed the wardrobe into a 'larder' in the same way (it could be easily turned back into a wardrobe if needed as the shelves were removable). As I fold clothes and put them in the lockers/cupboards anyway I didn't miss the wardrobe but it was nice to have items needed for daily access at eyel level rather than scrabble around in the lower cupboard (the photo shows it with other bits and bobs in before I moved my 'larder' stuff into it along with pans and the like).

upload_2015-11-22_12-28-6.jpeg

Upvote 0

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
We will only use good china and glass. I want to feel as comfortable when we are away as we do in our own home and not like I am camping. Line the base of your cupboards with the rubber non slip mat and cut a small square and place between each plate, saucer, bowl etc. cups & mugs stand on the base or upside down on the tope plate/saucer. Glasses in the boxes you buy them in stood on the non slip. Pans again separate with non slip. No noise no damage (touch wood) :)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Socks ... ideally new ones and kiddie sized (cheaper and not so 'baggy') are a good way to protect bottles and glasses from 'clinking' together.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We haven't found so. Have had it for 4 months and done 5K miles now with no rattles or plate scratches (y)
@Baycott thanks. I am thinking of doing what you have done with the plates and mugs and also include glasses. What thickness was the foam please and what did you use to cut it - it certainly looks a neat job. Are the plates sitting on the foam or did you cut out for them?

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
@Baycott thanks. I am thinking of doing what you have done with the plates and mugs and also include glasses. What thickness was the foam please and what did you use to cut it - it certainly looks a neat job. Are the plates sitting on the foam or did you cut out for them?
The foam I used was an interlocking cushion floor tile about 3/4inch thick.
This is the kind of thing Broken Link Removed
Although I got mine for free as it was used as packing in a parcel I received.
I cut them with a very sharp craft knife, marking the size and using shallow cuts getting deeper with each pass.(y)
I have glasses in another cupboard using the same method. ;)

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
The foam I used was an interlocking cushion floor tile about 3/4inch thick.
This is the kind of thing Broken Link Removed
. ;)

We got some of these play floor tiles from our Poundshop and used two in the shower room to protect the floor from scratches and heavy objects falling from cupboards.

In our last van, when we had racks for plates, I used to pack Ikea cork table mats between the plates; useful as table mats too. I've also used the foamed polystyrene circular disks that come on the bottom of some frozen pizzas.

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
We have plastic glasses and china mugs. all the dishes live in a drawer for us and we have no issues.
Although we have melamine plates at the moment we are off to Florida 3 weeks today (not counting at all) and will be bringing back a set of corelle for our MH. A full set is only £20 over there.

We actually have them in our villa there as we rent it out and it minimises breakages.

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
E bay UK. Type in universal rubber glass and cup holder. I ordered one and the big round slots too small for mugs but ideal for wine glasses and next size down for 'drinking glasses' and you'll find a use for smallest slots. Used Velcro pads for securing in cupboard. Job done. Use 'Muggi' for mugs and Dunelm do felt pads in kitchen section for placing between piled plates or saucepans

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
E bay UK. Type in universal rubber glass and cup holder. I ordered one and the big round slots too small for mugs but ideal for wine glasses and next size down for 'drinking glasses' and you'll find a use for smallest slots. Used Velcro pads for securing in cupboard. Job done. Use 'Muggi' for mugs and Dunelm do felt pads in kitchen section for placing between piled plates or saucepans
Is this what you mean?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Froli-Uni...600882?hash=item1ea78613f2:g:YzwAAOSwbdpWU1wp

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
That is the one I bought last week after an unsuccessful attempt at cutting my own from ordinary foam. I would recommend it. It is cheaper on Amazon than Ebay.

I have 4 x wine glasses in the large holes, 4 x beer glasses in the medium sized holes and 3 x tall soft drink glasses and 2 x shot glasses in the 5 small holes. Bought the wine glasses and tall soft drinks glasses from Dunelm Mill for 99p each and they fit a treat.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
That is the one I bought last week after an unsuccessful attempt at cutting my own from ordinary foam. I would recommend it. It is cheaper on Amazon than Ebay.

I have 4 x wine glasses in the large holes, 4 x beer glasses in the medium sized holes and 3 x tall soft drink glasses and 2 x shot glasses in the 5 small holes. Bought the wine glasses and tall soft drinks glasses from Dunelm Mill for 99p each and they fit a treat.
But you don't have that many friends :whistle:

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I can eat off plastic plates but draw the line at drinking beer from a plastic tumbler, same for wine, tea and coffee. Proper glasses and cups/mugs.

Upvote 0

Bigbass

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV 60 Chatsw
Exp
5 years but tent camper previously
Aldi had the corner plate racks etc last week at about £3