Storage . What needs doing ? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Sorry! cover your "domestic" water pump, no matter how studious you drain your water system, fresh water get's left in the little clear plastic filter housing on the end of the DOMESTIC water pump, this freezes and can crack the plastic causing a leak.
On the side of your DOMESTIC hot water cylinder you will find a, generally, red plastic thingee, with a plastic tube attached that goes thro the floor, inside, is a very small, and very basic, non return valve, you only need a drip or two of water to be left in, and freeze, it will destroy the valve, so your pump when turned on will just pump your fresh water straight out on to the ground.

Sorry for not being specific last time, if you cover your DOMESTIC WATER PUMP and your hot water boiler with something , it can stop the above happening

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Sorry! cover your "domestic" water pump, no matter how studious you drain your water system, fresh water get's left in the little clear plastic filter housing on the end of the DOMESTIC water pump, this freezes and can crack the plastic causing a leak.
On the side of your DOMESTIC hot water cylinder you will find a, generally, red plastic thingee, with a plastic tube attached that goes thro the floor, inside, is a very small, and very basic, non return valve, you only need a drip or two of water to be left in, and freeze, it will destroy the valve, so your pump when turned on will just pump your fresh water straight out on to the ground.

Sorry for not being specific last time, if you cover your DOMESTIC WATER PUMP and your hot water boiler with something , it can stop the above happening

I've put a separate thread up asking where the water filter is likely to be.. I can't find it....

Surely a little water left won't hurt ? It's when in a confined space water freezing expands and damages. If there is space for the water to expand it should do no harm.
But I am very happy to remove clean and dry the filters and / or filters if I can find the damn things ....

Thanks

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
It's on the end of your water pump, Clear plastic, roughly 50 mm long and about 65-75mm in diameter, it, after you empty, is generally 1/2 full. I had one freeze in my old Pilote also the matrix in my hot water boiler froze at the same time, learnt my lesson then, been covering them ever since with no trouble happening

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
For anyone interested I found and dismantled the inline water filter today.. The gauze filter is in the upper section of the solenoid valve on the back of the filler point.

Our one was caked in gunge and it was also full of water above the solenoid valve. I have now cleaned it and made sure it has no water left in it. Given its close proximity to the outside of the van I would say its a frost risk.
I have also insulated everything in this area using the foam from TLX Gold.. This s very high tech insulation that leaves No debris of particles like fiberglass would. It is also 100% waterproof so would never retain moisture IF a leak were to occur. It is also a full permeable / breathable insulation.

I have also fully insulated the water heater and all the pipe work around it using the same insulation but this will be removed before the van goes to Spain in January..

Thanks for the help and advice

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I refer the honorable gentleman to the answers posted every year at the same time. :LOL::LOL:
There are 2 threads due to be started now.
1. To put a heater in motorhome or not.
2. To use a dehumidifier or not (this is usually quite a heated debate.)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I refer the honorable gentleman to the answers posted every year at the same time. :LOL::LOL:
There are 2 threads due to be started now.
1. To put a heater in motorhome or not.
2. To use a dehumidifier or not (this is usually quite a heated debate.)

If you are going to put in a heater it will need to be on All of the time.

This will keep the temperature stable. If the temperature goes up and down condensation will form. Ventilation will help with condensation but its best not to encourage it to form in the first place.

I planning on hooking up every two weeks just to give the batteries a charge up.

It is not my plan to put a heater on. I think it might raise insurance implications ?

Definatley going to put in some dehumidifier balls and sacks....

Did I just say balls and sacks ?????...............:D:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
after problems for two years with mice and losing a duvet and bedding to the blighters and their wee all over everything ..... squirt as much lavendar air freshener everywhere when you visit .. apparently they don't like it..... spread peppermint oil on the table and glass on the cooker and squirt onto the seats ... and bed.. leave cloves of garlic in the fridge and on the floors and in the cupboards ... Anything that will stop them coming in in the first place :( :(

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It's on the end of your water pump, Clear plastic, roughly 50 mm long and about 65-75mm in diameter, it, after you empty, is generally 1/2 full. I had one freeze in my old Pilote also the matrix in my hot water boiler froze at the same time, learnt my lesson then, been covering them ever since with no trouble happening
on the end of the water pump and sorry but covering it will not stop it freezing only delay it a little apart from wind chill the temp in a van will be the same as that outside unless you have some form of heating on. Yes a tiny drop of water can cause the stupid plastic bowl to crack no matter how well insulated your van is. I know mine has 2" foam under and around it and still eventually froze. A simple but unwanted repair to carry out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back