Stoke- on- trent dwellers. (1 Viewer)

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
Had this as a gift from a friends company #moorlandpottery and instead of using it as a tea towel hung it for the time being until buying a frame becomes essential. Which isn't at the mo. Thought any MH's from the region may appreciate. Cheers duck. ?
20200330_182017.jpg

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Must get one for the other half who lived near the top of Trentham Road ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer S
Exp
I'm a newbie
I recall working on the M6 between Stoke and Newcastle, in the late 1970’s. Our offices were at Yarnfield. Every time we went for fish and chips, i was referred to as “youth” ?

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I’d like to get one of those tea towels to add to my collection of promotional items from the Stoke-on-Trent potteries. It’s a strange thing for me to collect as I have no connection with Stoke, but I have always appreciated bone china and pottery from the Staffordshire potteries. When I visited the town in 2016 I spent hours in the fantastic museum. I will always remember the wonderful mosaic mural made from the maker’s marks on the bottom of cups, saucers, plates, etc. Fantastic. I also enjoyed the Gladstone Pottery Museum and I have photo (somewhere) of our motorhome parked outside their bottle kiln.
Unfortunately, the Moorland Pottery website appears to be shut down - presumably because of the lock down - but I will re-visit it.

OP
OP
ryan_flea
Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
KiwiKampers you are right. Great places to visit. Nice memories! The site is down you are correct. As you say, due to lock down most likely.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
T' (ruddy) D Road ….

I used to work at Morgan Insurance Brokers, 600 Etruria Road, next door to the New Vic. theatre. I dislike Oatcakes, I've always enjoyed lobby even though I came from further south in Staffs (West Bromwich) so we didn't call it that - a very very useful dish for anyone's culinary repertoire at the moment!

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
KiwiKampers you are right. Great places to visit. Nice memories! The site is down you are correct. As you say, due to lock down most likely.
To give you an idea of what my collection looks like I have attached a photo of a sample of items that I displayed at an antiques and collectables fair a few years ago. The other two photos are of the mural I mentioned earlier and the bottle kilns at the Gladstone Pottery Museum. You can just see our old motorhome parked to the left. Thanks Ryan-flea. You prompted me to look up my old photos from 2008. Happy memories.
National Show 2017 Display 2.jpg
(928) Stoke On Trent.jpeg
(932) Stoke On Trent.jpeg

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Friend and I are planning a trip to the Potteries once the Coronavirus crisis is over. We’re starting at the Middleport pottery from the Great Pottery Throwdown. Any other recommendations for places to visit ?

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Friend and I are planning a trip to the Potteries once the Coronavirus crisis is over. We’re starting at the Middleport pottery from the Great Pottery Throwdown. Any other recommendations for places to visit ?
I recommend the aforementioned Potteries Museum and the Gladstone Pottery Museum. If you have to choose just one - go to the Potteries Museum. You will not believe the things that can be made from clay and the artistry of the painters.

OP
OP
ryan_flea
Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
The world of wedgewood and the Emma Bridgewater factory. Also, the royal stafford ceramic centre. A family friend owns the kiln company Cromartie if any kiln firing questions were needed ? Trentham gardens is also nice to visit. Hollyberry

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
One of the jobs I didn't like when tramping around the country with a 24ton tipper
Sunday afternoon,Peters Marland .Devon
To Tunstall ,Stoke on Trent.
With ball clay if you didn't get there in a hurry and get tipped overnight.
You would have to start shoveling ,the sticky left overs .

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
One of the jobs I didn't like when tramping around the country with a 24ton tipper
Sunday afternoon,Peters Marland .Devon
To Tunstall ,Stoke on Trent.
With ball clay if you didn't get there in a hurry and get tipped overnight.
You would have to start shoveling ,the sticky left overs .
Which place in Tunstall?

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
If you can get a visit to Moorcroft it's worth doing. Also Emma Bridgewater and the Wedgwood experience.
Monkey forest at Trentham is a good place.
But best of all would be a tour around the mighty Port Vale Fc.
I can recommend a couple of local sites if travelling in the mh.

OP
OP
ryan_flea
Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Exp
If you can get a visit to Moorcroft it's worth doing. Also Emma Bridgewater and the Wedgwood experience.
Monkey forest at Trentham is a good place.
But best of all would be a tour around the mighty Port Vale Fc.
I can recommend a couple of local sites if travelling in the mh.
Oh no not the Vale. Cracking manager though i will admit that. John Askey is tops.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Which place in Tunstall?

Sorry
Ask me one on sport !
I'm going back to the early 80's M6-A500-Burslam/Tunstall
As I remember a tight left turn up past a bank of shops
Only ever saw the night shift guy on the gate,drive around site to clay sheds tip get copy note signed and on up to Winsford Cheshire for road salt (cleaned the butt out)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
" Clay heads ".:hi5::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oatcakes,and Mrs D Allsop..... Lay oatcakes out flat,grate Cheddar cheese on top ( As thick as you can !) add Branston Pickle. At this point,try to fold it in half without losing ANY of the Cheddar/Pickle. Put in Oven/Microwave until warm through. Saturday afternoon in winter,when she had half a dozen ready,she would come down into the yard ,where two warmish drivers (The garage only held two lorries) and four frozen Tur ??........ TRUCKERS.... phew,were busy servicing there vehicles in the yard,with a tray of these,plus an industrial tea pot and mugs.......... Never was there such a heart warming sight,i can still taste them now,and feel the warmth getting back into my fingers,all these years on.??;)
Tea Bag

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sorry
Ask me one on sport !
I'm going back to the early 80's M6-A500-Burslam/Tunstall
As I remember a tight left turn up past a bank of shops
Only ever saw the night shift guy on the gate,drive around site to clay sheds tip get copy note signed and on up to Winsford Cheshire for road salt (cleaned the butt out)

They never took long loading you at Winsford Mike, ? I think 25t was one and a bit buckets, I seem to remember the bucket held 20t a massive machine and good drivers. ?
Happy days ?................. I think........ or...

We spent many weekends trentham gardens campsite with our caravan, and enjoyed visiting the potteries. ? Bob.

Last edited:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
They never took long loading you at Winsford Mike, ? I think 25t was one and a bit buckets, I seem to remember the bucket held 20t a massive machine and good drivers. ?
Happy days ?................. I think........ or...

We spent many weekends trentham gardens campsite with our caravan, and enjoyed visiting the potteries. ? Bob.

Yep a conveyor belt of lorry traffic at times ,back and forwards like a yo-yo Wrexham and back for a day or two .then find a load to Norfolk ,pick up cow cake to get back down to Devon .
Long hours :rolleyes:but happy days indeed(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Only ever seen Stoke in the dark!, done a couple of deliveries to city centre shopping centre. Around 6am and wait for someone to tip me!. Then onto the Darwin Centre @ Shrewsbury. With a trek back to Hull.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back