Step switch (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Hi my step switch keeps blowing fuses, I could get it to go out but not back in ! It’s a double step on a swift sundance 2004 any ideas where I can get a replacement

IMG_6817.jpeg

IMG_6816.jpeg

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Yup. The switch has surprisingly few parts inside - your motor is struggling pulling too much current.
Could be gearbox needs clean and greasing or brushes on motor are covered in carbon dust - just had mine cleaned (completely different vehicle).
First check? Earth point for step motor. Prone to corrosion under the vehicle.

OP
OP
matt34
Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
thankyou for getting back,12v on switch to get it going out but no volts on way in tried bridgeing what i thought was the corret terminals but will not retract ,which i dont understand as bridgeing the the switch out should bring it back ? unless my basic tests are wrong ?any way my switch has gone because it trips the fuse now when i plug it in ,Is it worth trying or get a double step to get into the van?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
ive recently fitted an electric step (pre loved) i originally wired in it such a way that it shared the feed from the pump, but after a few times in and out it would return an error on the 'control centre' (LOL) i realised it was overloading the wiring to the pump (due to the error message) and so have now wired it back to the battery on a separate circuit - works great.

so in answer to your question, have you added anything extra that now overloads the circuit? if it was all working fine and youve added nothing, then check all the wiring methodically to make sure all connections are ok. if all is ok, then try removing the switch and just briefly making the circuit by touching thw wires together, if thats ok, then it might be a motor issue ..... (all the switch does it make or break contacts) - however if you have a relay in the circuit, then it might be the relay thats faulty ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
matt34
Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Ive got 12v when it retacts, but when i return it on the swith no volts,i put a wire to to bridge the switch but nothing where or if is there a relay? going away in the mornig so ive taken the motor off and will just use a step for now but would like it to get it going in the future

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
- just had mine cleaned (completely different vehicle).
did you do it yourself? - seems like one of those regular maintenance jobs that can save a lot of money in the long run. i thought most steps are pretty much the same and not actually related to the vehicle manufacturer but to the type fitted by the manufacturer

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
did you do it yourself? - seems like one of those regular maintenance jobs that can save a lot of money in the long run. i thought most steps are pretty much the same and not actually related to the vehicle manufacturer but to the type fitted by the manufacturer
I dismantled but it's an art to put the brushes back in with springs and slide the main shaft back in!!! Had to use a local electric motor company to reassemble but all good now. Grantham Electrical were really helpful. My gearbox was surprisingly clean inside but brushes very carbonised.
I also tested the controller to make sure it outputs+12v and -12v respectively when switch or magnetic switch operated.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Ive got 12v when it retacts, but when i return it on the swith no volts,i put a wire to to bridge the switch but nothing where or if is there a relay? going away in the mornig so ive taken the motor off and will just use a step for now but would like it to get it going in the future
are you def bridging the switch? you dont actually need the switch, the retract/extend is just the L/N being reversed to N/L on the step ive just fitted, in fact the instructions advised to test those functions before fitting

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I dismantled but it's an art to put the brushes back in with springs and slide the main shaft back in!!! Had to use a local electric motor company to reassemble but all good now. Grantham Electrical were really helpful. My gearbox was surprisingly clean inside but brushes very carbonised.
I also tested the controller to make sure it outputs+12v and -12v respectively when switch or magnetic switch operated.
Damn, i was hoping it was a LOT simpler than that !!

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
What manufacturer is it. Try googling for a wiring diagram. Loads on the net about these steps. On some steps it pushes a switch as it retracts to stop the up movement. It is the same as many house fridge door light switches. The switch is a little complicated as it swops the supply and return lines for in or out. Some have a buzzer warning you the step is out when you turn on the ignition, others also retract the step when you start the engine.

OP
OP
matt34
Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
Do you know where the relay is as reading into it could be a relay problem,i could get it to retact by wigling the switch but now nothing change the motor a few years ago.when i start the ignition the beeping noise starts

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
sorry cant help, re where the relay is situated, but it will be in the wiring circuit somewhere, so follow the wires. i assume it will be in an accessible location ......

Jev88 - what was the cost for an overhaul please?.... it might still be worth having it done after a few years of road grime ....

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
sorry cant help, re where the relay is situated, but it will be in the wiring circuit somewhere, so follow the wires. i assume it will be in an accessible location ......

Jev88 - what was the cost for an overhaul please?.... it might still be worth having it done after a few years of road grime ....
I dismantled the motor myself and used brake cleaner, dried and then very find sandpaper. The putting back together was where I got stuck but the local firm refused to bill me for "half an hour's work" so got paid in biscuits for the shop floor. Lucky me!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back