Staycation boom sees motorhome and caravan used prices rocket (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
Yeah awful timing as far as we are concerned 🙈 started looking at the NEC show back in feb then everything went crazy and trying to do a decent deal or even find a decent van for a sensible price is like trying to find unicorn 💩 I can see us not getting anything this year, might just have to wait for all these people madly buying them to sell up when they realise it’s not really for them 🤞I can only hope 😬

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I’ve just had an email from West Country Motorhomes (former customer) basically looking for stock. Hard to believe how hot the market is and how willing folk are to part with money. Crazy times!
CF401D9A-56FD-4E52-BD72-1DD431884A28.jpeg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this current wave of high prices won't last, as in a few months time, when it's no longer weather to camp in the uk and unemployment figures rocket, there will be masses of vans for sale with people desperate for cash. Supply and demand rules will always be there

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If the extra sales are all for Staycations, it is going to get even more crowded on that crowded island's campsites.

Even to the extent of proving the futility of those that argue that all MH/Caravans should be on campsites, when they are all full.

Long live wildcamping

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yeah awful timing as far as we are concerned 🙈 started looking at the NEC show back in feb then everything went crazy and trying to do a decent deal or even find a decent van for a sensible price is like trying to find unicorn 💩 I can see us not getting anything this year, might just have to wait for all these people madly buying them to sell up when they realise it’s not really for them 🤞I can only hope 😬

Being cynical one might surmise a lot of vans bought this month and next will be sold when the redundancies start coming through. With holidays over and that new depreciating asset sitting on the drive the urge to sell will be strong. It could turn it into a buyers market quite quickly.

That could happen, but it's a long shot. I don't think it will.
It's not the van that matters ITS WHAT YOU DO IN IT. Find a van for 10k less than you were going to get. A similar van but older, I GUARANTEE you will have just as much fun in an older van, life's too short to wait for stuff, go spend your budget and have fun (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
this current wave of high prices won't last, as in a few months time, when it's no longer weather to camp in the uk and unemployment figures rocket, there will be masses of vans for sale with people desperate for cash. Supply and demand rules will always be there
I agree that unemployment is going to be very high, but Imo it will increase the difference between the haves and have nots (yet again) but will not impact the sales of caravans and motorhomes.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I agree that unemployment is going to be very high, but Imo it will increase the difference between the haves and have nots (yet again) but will not impact the sales of caravans and motorhomes.
I know quite a few people who are asset rich and cash poor. If the ensuing recession hits their income, it will be the luxury items that go first, like motorhomes and boats.
Completely agree it will drive a further wedge into the gap of those that have and those that have not. Poverty is not just an ancient memory or history,, there are many people in this country surviving hand to mouth and teetering on the brink. This so called Gig economy is just one of the reasons that many families have no reliable income

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I am now looking for a day van I'm not in a hurry so may not buy until the Autumn

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Anecdotally, I heard yesterday that a VERY LARGE dealer in Somerset put £500 on the price of EVERY van and caravan on their site because they were selling in such volume, they decided that they might as well put the price up and make more money. Supply and demand.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I know quite a few people who are asset rich and cash poor. If the ensuing recession hits their income, it will be the luxury items that go first, like motorhomes and boats.
Completely agree it will drive a further wedge into the gap of those that have and those that have not. Poverty is not just an ancient memory or history,, there are many people in this country surviving hand to mouth and teetering on the brink. This so called Gig economy is just one of the reasons that many families have no reliable income

Chancellor Sunak is hoping that savers are going to spend their cash on MHs etc instead of leaving it in ISAs.

One healthy legal trend is that Courts in several countries are recognising that many zero hours / on-demand workers are actually employees with rights (not independent self-employed), regardless of the contract wording forced on them, because the reality and contracts don't match up. In 2019 I recall that the Supreme Court in Ottawa ruled that the contract was abusive or unfair because it forced Uber drivers in Canada to have all disputes with Uber decided by arbitration in the Netherlands (wildly expensive) and it was non-negotiable.

Oct 31, 2019
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
“ I’m a newbie”
On-site at Norfolk Broads last week there were quite a few newbies in caravans as well as moho's, also found the same in general chat in the pubs, i also received a text from my dealership saying "we want your van" stating low stock, not planning to upgrade anytime soon but maybe they will hold prices for a bit longer if this trend continues.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
On-site at Norfolk Broads last week there were quite a few newbies in caravans as well as moho's, also found the same in general chat in the pubs, i also received a text from my dealership saying "we want your van" stating low stock, not planning to upgrade anytime soon but maybe they will hold prices for a bit longer if this trend continues.
Not so good, if like me you are looking to buy one :(

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
There were loads of rental vans on the sites I visited last week. I’ve never seen so many.

Rapidoman 2011

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 21, 2013
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9009 DFH
Exp
20 Years Plus
Well it will all depend on the monthly payment. Easy to buy and sign the dotted line in the heat of the moment, but when that holiday is over and you keep looking out the window at £500 plus per month on the drive, you very quickly decide to get rid of that expense. At that time it becomes a very good deal for the buyer. If you are looking for a van. Take your time. look at private sales. better price and a lot more extras. Sort your own finance out and that way you will get a better rate. Happy travels

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
There were loads of rental vans on the sites I visited last week. I’ve never seen so many.

Most of those will prbably be peple whose plan for an oversea holiday was frustrated and this was their alternativ.

Some may be just trying out a MH before buying, but I suspect most were the former.

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
We have just bought our first MH. I think we got in just at the right time before supply and demand raises prices beyond what we can afford. I think rentals will be here to stay so we might go for wild camping when peace and tranquility are required.

Mar 4, 2018
Portishead
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Early 80's
I’ve just had an email from West Country Motorhomes (former customer) basically looking for stock. Hard to believe how hot the market is and how willing folk are to part with money. Crazy times!
View attachment 407922
Just took a look at West Country Motor Homes' special offers and they have some pretty good deals going on ex NEC display vans: https://www.wcmh.co.uk/24/special-offers

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Having made the switch to a caravan (sorry) a year ago, we miss the moho for days out, and we are now looking for a day van. I did want something that will do everything to keep to one vehicle, but after looking I don't think it exists in our price range (20k) so we have decided to keep the car and get a day van as well, but we will take our time and buy over the winter, unless something special turns up sooner.

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
glad I got my van last autumn.... no easy finance for me...it is mine...paid for outright....ok it's not a new van as I can't stomach throwing cash away on depreciation...... still got mine with 21k on the clock.... a bit of waiting for the right van/layout...... was asked to sell it the other day by one of my customers.....er....no....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
glad I got my van last autumn.... no easy finance for me...it is mine...paid for outright....ok it's not a new van as I can't stomach throwing cash away on depreciation...... still got mine with 21k on the clock.... a bit of waiting for the right van/layout...... was asked to sell it the other day by one of my customers.....er....no....
The best way to buy a motorhome in my opinion. After the first couple of years depreciation and the first owner sorting any faults and adding accessories. I have only ever bought one van brand new, and never again. Have owned way more than the average motorhomer though, having had a side line buying, doing up and selling them for years

Lee337

Free Member
Sep 7, 2019
South Lincs
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None, absolutely none, although I did once own a VW T2 Westie which I used overnight a few times
Started looking at the market a few months ago to see what was around. Not looking to spend a lot and was hoping for sub £10k but that sum is now looking less likely.

With my fast approaching redundancy, I think I may have to wait a little longer. As has been mentioned, hopefully all those staycationers who have been driving up the MH prices will be looking to get shot of them next year, so there's hope yet.

Reactions: art
Oct 17, 2016
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Tribute T715
Exp
Since 2010
Well after reading all the comments I recon a case of suck it and see but in my humble opinion I’m sure the shortage will go on for quite a while, as far as I have found out Motorhome factories are lacking components obviously due to the lock down and supply situation but I will say it’s a shame that the people who have ordered are in for a wait and suffer the price hike that has been mentioned on here. Been long in the tooth I have gone through a few of these, one of the first when I was general manager at Buccaneer Caravans and that was the 25% tax On Caravans. Before that was the petrol shortage and threat of rationing.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We ordered our van in January. Fingers crossed it will be delivered to the dealer first week in August, and on the road sometime early September.......starting to sweat a little in case a spanner gets thrown in the works.

Jun 5, 2020
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Bavaria I740
Exp
Since June 2020
Think we bought our first Motorhome at the right time (2 months ago) by the looks of things! We were really lucky in it was local to us, at the lower end of our budget and a private sale too. Ok it's quite old, but it gives us chance to explore both the Motorhoming experience, and parts of the country (and hopefully abroad too) that we've not been to before.
Look out Yorkshire we're coming up on Wednesday!!

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
View attachment 407922
I had an email from Globecar, never bought one of theirs nor from SMC Newark, the dealer mentioned in the email:

Why do we need your part exchange?
Recent events created unprecedented demand within the marketplace for Top quality pre-owned Motorhomes and Campervans. Familys are changing the way that they holiday and exploring #staycation..... #vanlife is fast becoming more popular than ever before.

In order to taste the freedom offered by #vanlife families need Quality pre -owned Motorhomes and Motorcaravans .... Just like yours!

What is special about our offer?

SMC Newark are THE Premium Dealership for Globecar in the UK. They are proud to have the largest range of our products on display.
They have a limited amount of Ex-Display vehicles available with exclusive additional support so we may offer you up to an additional £2500 for your current Motorhome, Campervan or Car.
THIS IS IN ADDITION TO THE NORMAL MARKET VALUATION!

Call Now on 01636 670760

or click on the button below

Any Part exchange considered!

We also take Cars and Caravans in part exchange. Market leading prices ... ask one of our team for details!

Click the Button Below and find out more!
Other special offers!

New Globescout 'Plus' 2020 Model Great Specification family Vehicle!

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I had an email from Globecar, never bought one of theirs nor from SMC Newark, the dealer mentioned in the email:

Why do we need your part exchange?
Recent events created unprecedented demand within the marketplace for Top quality pre-owned Motorhomes and Campervans. Familys are changing the way that they holiday and exploring #staycation..... #vanlife is fast becoming more popular than ever before.

In order to taste the freedom offered by #vanlife families need Quality pre -owned Motorhomes and Motorcaravans .... Just like yours!

What is special about our offer?

SMC Newark are THE Premium Dealership for Globecar in the UK. They are proud to have the largest range of our products on display.
They have a limited amount of Ex-Display vehicles available with exclusive additional support so we may offer you up to an additional £2500 for your current Motorhome, Campervan or Car.
THIS IS IN ADDITION TO THE NORMAL MARKET VALUATION!

Call Now on 01636 670760

or click on the button below

Any Part exchange considered!

We also take Cars and Caravans in part exchange. Market leading prices ... ask one of our team for details!

Click the Button Below and find out more!

Other special offers!

New Globescout 'Plus' 2020 Model Great Specification family Vehicle!

If they are short of stock how can they say -

"They are proud to have the largest range of our products on display."

Something does not ring true.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread