Staycation boom sees motorhome and caravan used prices rocket (1 Viewer)

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Yeah awful timing as far as we are concerned šŸ™ˆ started looking at the NEC show back in feb then everything went crazy and trying to do a decent deal or even find a decent van for a sensible price is like trying to find unicorn šŸ’© I can see us not getting anything this year, might just have to wait for all these people madly buying them to sell up when they realise itā€™s not really for them šŸ¤žI can only hope šŸ˜¬
What are you looking for?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
What are you looking for?
We have have researched and viewed a fair few vans now and in an ideal world we are looking for max 7m long and under 3m high, ideally below 3500kg (but could consider heavier) Fixed transverse bed over garage with front lounge Not a dinette. The only ones I have found in our price range fitting this are a couple of apaches and a rapido we have a budget of ideally Ā£25k but could push that if the right van can along.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
We may only be an island but there is plenty of room for all the additional motorhomes that may or may not take to the roads. The upside is the more of us there are the more clout we will have which can only be for the good in the long term. If someone wants to remortgage or cash in their pensions why not? Life is short and there is nothing worse than wishing you had done something when it's too late to do it. If it doesn't work out so be it but at least you've tried. We are on motorhome number 18 and I've no regrets about any of them. We have loved every second we have spent in all of ours from before we had children, with the children and now lending it to our children with their children! Yes we've spent a fortune on our hobby but the memories we have had and continue to have are precious. I even use it as my bolt hole for the many gigs I go to with my pals!
So I actively encourage everyone to beg, steal or borrow to get yourself a motorhome and start making those memories that you never forget.

OP
OP
MyrtleGuru
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We may only be an island but there is plenty of room for all the additional motorhomes that may or may not take to the roads. The upside is the more of us there are the more clout we will have which can only be for the good in the long term. If someone wants to remortgage or cash in their pensions why not? Life is short and there is nothing worse than wishing you had done something when it's too late to do it. If it doesn't work out so be it but at least you've tried. We are on motorhome number 18 and I've no regrets about any of them. We have loved every second we have spent in all of ours from before we had children, with the children and now lending it to our children with their children! Yes we've spent a fortune on our hobby but the memories we have had and continue to have are precious. I even use it as my bolt hole for the many gigs I go to with my pals!
So I actively encourage everyone to beg, steal or borrow to get yourself a motorhome and start making those memories that you never forget.

I am hoping there will be an increase in the number of CS/CL-type 5-van sites if the popularity of motorhoming increases in the UK, given we have no aire infrastructure.

Those who run them know that the economics of providing them as a stand-alone business don't stack up generally, but as an addition to an existing business they might make a little extra or increase footfall.

If I end up with a bit of spare land, I will do my bit and set one up for the benefit of fellow motorhomers.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
First time out in the motorhome since January.

We were In Spain fir 10 Days of Feb and March

We have been trying to find a campsite all day.

only one Caravan Club has available in the area was the one we didnā€™t want.

just managed to find a small farm at 6pm

Feb 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Steel
Exp
20 years
Anecdotally, I heard yesterday that a VERY LARGE dealer in Somerset put Ā£500 on the price of EVERY van and caravan on their site because they were selling in such volume, they decided that they might as well put the price up and make more money. Supply and demand.
Ā£500? The dealer that I p/x my van to has added Ā£2500 to the original sale price of mine. Unbelievable! It sold last week.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I used to work in Congleton a while back. There's a couple of motorhome places there.
Yourstyle Leisure { Various makes and models } and Motorhomes2go / Wincham Leisure, sales of Nearly New Peugeot boxer PLA and Giotilline Italian built Motorhomes for sale or rent.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but there is plenty of room for all the additional motorhomes that may or may not take to the roads.
Unfortunately most of it isn't where many wish to go & the whole south, south-east, south-west is at walking pace. My thinking is that if you cannot travel 60 miles in 60 minutes then there is something wrong with the road structuring.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Unfortunately most of it isn't where many wish to go & the whole south, south-east, south-west is at walking pace. My thinking is that if you cannot travel 60 miles in 60 minutes then there is something wrong with the road structuring.
Why do you want to drive at 60mph all the time?

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Maybe, when the places that people 'want to go to' are so full they can't move, some will start to think about the alternative places to visit. I can't think of anything worse than pitching up somewhere to find human beings in such large numbers there is insufficient room to swing the item of your choice.

stevel2

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
If all these purchasers are trying to use them in the UK they will soon be trying to get rid once they find out the UK is overcrowded and unsuitable for motorhome touring.
Iā€™d have a different take on this. Back in April many were saying that motorhome values would bomb because of people trying to offload them and all the repossessions. And the opposite has happened. And the doomsayers are now saying the extra sales will lead to misery once again.
I think it a lot more likely people will stay in the uk in their Motorhomes This year but be a lot more tempted to travel abroad with them next year and maybe the year after. Itā€™s going to take some time for people to feel comfortable getting on a plane or going on a cruise ship. But Iā€™m a more glass half full kind of guy.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Why do you want to drive at 60mph all the time?
I'm travelling .Why would I want to take hours or days to get somewhere? When I used to work it was flat out on the mway(y) as it was the only way to try to keep up with the work . These days I keep to around 110kms/hr cruising.

Sianna

Free Member
Feb 9, 2020
Derby
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 696
Exp
New to the experience
We was looking to sell ours at the end of this seaosn and upgrade for a newer model, might have to sell a bit ealier and get a good price and then waint unitl Spring and get a new one then.

Anyone know how to get a rough valuation before i visit the dredded teeth sucking delaer?

Coddywompler

Free Member
Dec 1, 2013
South West
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Watching with interest.
We was looking to sell ours at the end of this seaosn and upgrade for a newer model, might have to sell a bit ealier and get a good price and then waint unitl Spring and get a new one then.

Anyone know how to get a rough valuation before i visit the dredded teeth sucking delaer?

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I live on the south-east coast and our traffic is no worse than anywhere else

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I wouldn't think there will be a that big effect on the Motorhome market as a high percentage of buyers are either retired or approaching retirement.

I can see it having a bigger effect on the caravan market where a much higher percentage of buyers are younger with families.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I wouldn't think there will be a that big effect on the Motorhome market as a high percentage of buyers are either retired or approaching retirement.
I have noticed quite the opposite, there seems to be a lot of younger motorhomers with families, and I think this might be related to the fact that if they have 2or3 little ones they need a sizeable caravan to accommodate the family of 5 and all the kiddies paraphernalia toys and bike meaning a sizeable outfit and the appropriate licence as you have to take a further test to be able to tow, so the easiest option is to buy a budget family overcab motorhome which will fall in the 3.5ton restriction of their licence.
I can see it having a bigger effect on the caravan market where a much higher percentage of buyers are younger with families.

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We popped into a well known caravan and motorhome dealer in the South West last weekend to get some chairs. I said to the guy on the door that the car park was busy, yes he said it been really busy recently, have 74 caravans/motorhomes going out next week! When I asked how many the usually sell he said it was about double the usual number. I must be in the wrong business!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Personally I don't think overall sales over the year will be up very much
Three months of basically no or very few sales from March along with converters shut down

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have noticed quite the opposite, there seems to be a lot of younger motorhomers with families, and I think this might be related to the fact that if they have 2or3 little ones they need a sizeable caravan to accommodate the family of 5 and all the kiddies paraphernalia toys and bike meaning a sizeable outfit and the appropriate licence as you have to take a further test to be able to tow,
Would stand a better chance with a Car & Caravan as without taking a towing test you can tow with a combined MAM of 3500 kg most largish family salons & caravan will be within that weight.
Where as a 3500kg Motorhome is never going to be legal with a family of 5.

Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
this current wave of high prices won't last, as in a few months time, when it's no longer weather to camp in the uk and unemployment figures rocket, there will be masses of vans for sale with people desperate for cash. Supply and demand rules will always be there
This probably explains why a friend of my husband has just been laid off from his job at a caravan manufacturing firm!

Dec 17, 2018
Bonny Scotland
Funster No
MH
2020 Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Since 2005
We decided we probably weren't going to get away to Europe again until next year so decided to bung it on Gumtree at an optimistic price. That was at 21.20 last Tuesday and by 11.30 the next morning it was sold.
I could have sold it to 4 other seriously interested parties (out of 19 enquiries) but honoured the first caller who had told me a sorry tale about family bad luck and deteriorating health. Glad it was going to a good home etc etc.
We got our price so we're happy and we'll wait until next year (or perhaps this winter?) to buy another.
That evening I spotted our motorhome for sale on a dealer website.
It used to be just double glazing salesmen and used car dealers who were infamous for telling untruths...

Damo7

Free Member
Oct 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie

I'm wondering the same we will be selling ours in September as just not getting the time to use it due to work etc šŸ˜Ŗ..W
would love to know rough value before I approach dealer....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back