Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi all,
Have been in Italy since October, and have just received a fine at my UK address dating back to the first couple of days here. (60 in a 50km/hr zone)
It's now gone past the 60 day reduced penalty? I was under the impression they could not process fines on UK drivers? except on the spot infringements. Hmmm. Please advise

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi all,
Have been in Italy since October, and have just received a fine at my UK address dating back to the first couple of days here. (60 in a 50km/hr zone)
It's now gone past the 60 day reduced penalty? I was under the impression they could not process fines on UK drivers? except on the spot infringements. Hmmm. Please advise

This is Italy - so have you been fined for going too fast or too slowly.

On a serious note they do now have the power to chase across borders. We also could have the powers to chase their drivers but our enlightened elite cant be arsed! Sorry.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Think they can after last May, or was it May 2016... Ignore it anyway, you've got nothing to lose if it's gone up to the higher fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I gather from your post you are still in Italy? If so I wonder if your reg might be on a defaulters list, so dont get stopped by the carabinieri they give them guns but not much training!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hmmm, what are the implications of ignoring it........?
Summons to Court, plead guilty in absence and offer the magistrates a letter explaining the positive side of motorhoming and that you are currently meandering around the istrian coast watching the sunset with beautiful chilled but rather cheeky sauvignon blanc with your Dutch neighbours but you have to get an early night in as you need to get up and move on before lunch, but not to appear in Court as you fancy popping down to Greece for a bit and not going to come back for a while but will let them know when so the points can be added.

I reckon you might get some sympathy off them.

On a slightly more serious note, havent heard of anyone actually being done yet, and technically they have to send you a NIP within (If i remember rightly) a fortnight.
A NIP is Notice of Intended Prosecution and (again from memory) says "You are being reported for the consideration of the question of prosecuting you for the offence of speeding"
If you have the letter and it is sent after that fortnight period there is a defence that you cant remember who was driving, or something along those lines.
Worth a chat with someone as I am unsure whether you have to answer to an italian court or a british court and therefore dont quite know if the NIP is an appropriate "Get out of jail free card" owing to different italian laws
@pyro Thoughts ?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I gather from your post you are still in Italy? If so I wonder if your reg might be on a defaulters list, so dont get stopped by the carabinieri they give them guns but not much training!
Dont the italians get lessons in reversing as well ?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just done a bit of research and the NIP doesnt count for foreign countries pursuing speeding tourists.
They also cant put points onto your licence
It does appear that they can chase you through our courts for the fine via local debt collecting agencies and this is where financial implications go up.
From what i have read in 20 minutes of googling, pay up

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Wait....
You never know, we might not be in the EU in a couple of years....
Then it’s “up yours”

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Well brewerydave, Thanks......that is very comprehensive, and I think I'm stuffed, however, as the offence was committed in October, and the fine only received today, they have to extend the 60 days for the reduced fine? I would have thought, from the date of receipt would be reasonable?
I'll be getting the paperwork photographed and sent in a couple days and maybe send a begging letter, at least they'll have a response and I won't be shot on sight?
And suarvecarve is probably bang on with the debt collection angle. . Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Think they can after last May, or was it May 2016... Ignore it anyway, you've got nothing to lose if it's gone up to the higher fine.
Apart from arrest & confiscation of the vehicle if stopped.

Hmmm, what are the implications of ignoring it........?
As above

On a slightly more serious note, havent heard of anyone actually being done yet, and technically they have to send you a NIP within (If i remember rightly) a fortnight.
A NIP is Notice of Intended Prosecution and (again from memory) says "You are being reported for the consideration of the question of prosecuting you for the offence of speeding"
If you have the letter and it is sent after that fortnight period there is a defence that you cant remember who was driving, or something along those lines.
Worth a chat with someone as I am unsure whether you have to answer to an italian court or a british court and therefore dont quite know if the NIP is an appropriate "Get out of jail free card" owing to different italian laws
@pyro Thoughts ?

as per @BreweryDave s post.
They also have 12 months to issue the notice.
It doesn't matter who was driving it is the vehicle owner who has to pay. Unlike the UK
The jurisdiction is the country the offence was allegedly committed in & the scale of the fine is also based on the same. I.e. don't get one from Norway.:eek:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Apart from arrest & confiscation of the vehicle if stopped.

As above

as per @BreweryDave s post.

It doesn't matter who was driving it is the vehicle owner who has to pay. Unlike the UK

According to a couple of the sites i visited, they give the registered keeper details of how to name the driver if it is not the registered keeper

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
I have been in touch with the Italian police via their website, as I was have trouble paying the fine? So......
1. The site is not mobile friendly
2. You have plenty of time to pay
The following is taken from the site, which is well worth reading as the system is established, the fine will arrive!
website........
infomazioni@poloziamanicipale-online.it.
"The Notice of Payment is a kind of courtesy letter that the Police sends by priority mail in order to inform the user about the violation committed. After 60 days from the receipt of the aforementioned Notice, if the payment has not yet been made, the Police will send the official Notification by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt. From the receipt of the notification the user must pay or contest the fine within and not later than 60 days. After this deadline, the Police will proceed with the increased amount indicated in the notified letter".
I hope this helps and keeps us mindful...and careful.
Thank to all for there sound advice and amusing responses.
Steph

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have been in touch with the Italian police via their website, as I was have trouble paying the fine? So......
1. The site is not mobile friendly
2. You have plenty of time to pay
The following is taken from the site, which is well worth reading as the system is established, the fine will arrive!
website........
infomazioni@poloziamanicipale-online.it.
"The Notice of Payment is a kind of courtesy letter that the Police sends by priority mail in order to inform the user about the violation committed. After 60 days from the receipt of the aforementioned Notice, if the payment has not yet been made, the Police will send the official Notification by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt. From the receipt of the notification the user must pay or contest the fine within and not later than 60 days. After this deadline, the Police will proceed with the increased amount indicated in the notified letter".
I hope this helps and keeps us mindful...and careful.
Thank to all for there sound advice and amusing responses.
Steph
Just out of interest what is the lower fine and higher fine in euros ?
Glad to see you got it sorted and updated us

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
This is what is wrong with it - 12 months is way too long to notify you of an offence, 3 months would be excessive IMO.

Too many compromises in the rush towards federalism.
Couldn't agree more.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
€63.24 if payed within 60 days...then it doubles every 60days.... and possibly the cement boots if they catch you in the interim.
Have not got the recorded delivery fine yet, I'll be back in a couple days, just in time to be snowed in by the look of things.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
€63.24 if payed within 60 days...then it doubles every 60days.... and possibly the cement boots if they catch you in the interim.
Have not got the recorded delivery fine yet, I'll be back in a couple days, just in time to be snowed in by the look of things.
I think the horse's head comes before the cement boots.:D2

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Must remember not to break the speed limit when we are there next month...thank goodness for 'cruise control' :)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back