Spare gas cannister - does this have to be LPG? (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just do a quick calculation, staying mainly on Aires with no access to electric, so major gas use on fridge, water for two showers a day, and light cooking, we have used an average of 1.5 l per day over eight weeks so far.

That may help give you an idea of how long your current set up will last, in the summer obviously, I'm also wondering how this companion the experience of others?
That has always been about our usage until I fitted the internal fridge fan. Fridge now keeps the beer nice and cold but we do appear to be using 10% more gas. Bottle changed over yesterday after 18 days. We have 2 x 14kg ( total of 56 Lt).
I prefer the safety of 2 refillables but if you are a light user you could just couple a 6kg Calor bottle into the system just for backup.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have one of the unreliable gagues only one bottle but have never run out. The gague goes to empty when still 1/3 left so we just top up (only one 11kg cylinder. With a set up like yours I would refill after 3 weeks use and see how much a week roughly I was getting through then aim to refill when 1/3 left.

We have a cylinder about the same size as yours, might be 13 kg .... but if we see an LPG station and the gas has been used for a couple of weeks and the gauge is no longer in the green we top up. It can be a little embarrassing paying for less than £5 of LPG though!!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Still trying to figure out how the 'crud' can magically jump from the bottom of the tank to the outlet valve at the top ? :confused:
The crap in question will be oil and sediment and can't vaporise.
I don't know that either but l suspect the 'low ends' do evaporate but not until the cylinder pressure starts to drop. My experience of it happening is when running a high output blow-torch from an almost-empty cylinder. The torch first starts to smell of burning rubber then if use continues the flame deteriorates to the point where it leaves greasy deposits on cold metal. Just before it's extinguished it becomes more smelly liquid than flame.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Still trying to figure out how the 'crud' can magically jump from the bottom of the tank to the outlet valve at the top ? :confused:
The crap in question will be oil and sediment and can't vaporise.

I don't know either, perhaps its from the rubber pipes. The lpg is mainly French so a propane/butane mix.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back