Spare gas cannister - does this have to be LPG? (1 Viewer)

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all,

Just getting to the bottom of last few things in our new(ish) van.

We have a great 26.5 ltr LPG tank and I would like to add a spare cannister in the second space. Just wondered if it would be better to make this something other than LPG in case we are somewhere that LPG is hard to access.

What would people advise? Would an alternative gas tank be hard to fit?

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_5182.JPG
    IMG_5182.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5183.JPG
    IMG_5183.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 43

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hello all,

Just getting to the bottom of last few things in our new(ish) van.

We have a great 26.5 ltr LPG tank and I would like to add a spare cannister in the second space. Just wondered if it would be better to make this something other than LPG in case we are somewhere that LPG is hard to access.

What would people advise? Would an alternative gas tank be hard to fit?

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Andy
Close to 27 ltr of LPG should be more then sufficient. However, you could fit an electrical storage tank, and fill that up from the mains before leaving home, or even at the camp site. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
maybe a NoX cylinder plumbed into the engine intake for a few extra Hp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's just crying out for a second refillable gas bottle.

That's what I thought! But should I just put in another LPG bottle or do u think better to use another kind of gas?

Also was wondering about the effect on payload if it really isn't needed!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just fill it up when 3/4 used you will still have 9l left (2/3 of a 6kg bottle) why carry around something else. If you are worried take a small butane stove like thttp:// which you can use for outdoor bacon butties

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
That's what I thought! But should I just put in another LPG bottle or do u think better to use another kind of gas?

Also was wondering about the effect on payload if it really isn't needed!
LPG is the only gas available, get another refilable, the same as already fitted.

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just fill it up when 3/4 used you will still have 9l left (2/3 of a 6kg bottle) why carry around something else. If you are worried take a small butane stove like thttp:// which you can use for outdoor bacon butties

Which leads to the question - how do you know when it's 3/4 used? There is a pressure guage in the locker but it's hard to read.
Is that going to tell me how much gas is left?
Sorry if this is an obvious question to ask.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Which leads to the question - how do you know when it's 3/4 used? There is a pressure guage in the locker but it's hard to read.
Is that going to tell me how much gas is left?
Sorry if this is an obvious question to ask.
You don't know when it is 3/4 used because gauges on refillable bottles are notoriously useless. That's why I have two bottles, so when one is empty I switch over to the second one.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Close to 27 ltr of LPG should be more then sufficient. However, you could fit an electrical storage tank, and fill that up from the mains before leaving home, or even at the camp site. (y)
You naughty, naughty, man .

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I had the same set up and fitted a calor gas bottle just because I had one. In the 18 months it has been fitted I have never used it as I never run out of gas in the refillable. I have an auto changeover just in case but I do check the un reliable gauge and top up as required. Auto gas can always be found somewhere and if you know you need some just fill up when you find an outlet. That the beauti of refillables.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We have one of the unreliable gagues only one bottle but have never run out. The gague goes to empty when still 1/3 left so we just top up (only one 11kg cylinder. With a set up like yours I would refill after 3 weeks use and see how much a week roughly I was getting through then aim to refill when 1/3 left.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
With a tank that big you really don't need anymore and think of the extra weight, you will probably find that after lugging the extra bottle around for a few months you'll wonder why you've bothered with it!

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have a single 14kg refillable. I also have a small calor bottle in reserve but I don't expect to ever use it. When I have done a few refills and learned what the gauge readings actually mean I will probably leave it at home.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Just do a quick calculation, staying mainly on Aires with no access to electric, so major gas use on fridge, water for two showers a day, and light cooking, we have used an average of 1.5 l per day over eight weeks so far.

That may help give you an idea of how long your current set up will last, in the summer obviously, I'm also wondering how this companion the experience of others?

OP
OP
A
Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks all. We were away in Scotland this Summer staying on campsites with hook-up 80% of the time. So some fridge on gas and some hot water from gas. We used 11 litres in two weeks.

I guess the reason I posted is because we are planning quite a bit of winter camping and some off-site so will need heating from gas which will be much higher consumption.

I guess you guys are right though. We just need to learn how accurate the guage is and make sure we keep filling up!

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Just do a quick calculation, staying mainly on Aires with no access to electric, so major gas use on fridge, water for two showers a day, and light cooking, we have used an average of 1.5 l per day over eight weeks so far.

That may help give you an idea of how long your current set up will last, in the summer obviously, I'm also wondering how this companion the experience of others?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
We have 2 refillable 11kg cylinders and our usage very similar. With 27.5 litres I can't seethe need for more.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
We don't have a tank but carry 2 lightweight bottles and just replace one when empty that way we always have one full.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We don't have a tank but carry 2 lightweight bottles and just replace one when empty that way we always have one full.
Have you found an alternative to the Calor Lite? It was the thought of going back to heavies that prompted me to install a refillable system.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
LPG being the most readily available, what other gas would you be considering I wonder?

Wyn

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ran one of my alugas bottles right out but the gauge was still reading full. Guess the float had stuck. I normally refill as soon as one bottle gets to 1/4 full on the gauge as then it's nearly empty. Looks like I've blocked the regulator too, possibly crud (technical term) from the bottom of the bottle.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks all. We were away in Scotland this Summer staying on campsites with hook-up 80% of the time. So some fridge on gas and some hot water from gas. We used 11 litres in two weeks.

I guess the reason I posted is because we are planning quite a bit of winter camping and some off-site so will need heating from gas which will be much higher consumption.

I guess you guys are right though. We just need to learn how accurate the guage is and make sure we keep filling up!
I have two 11kg Gaslow bottles with a manual change-over valve, when one runs out simply turn the other on one, then you know you need to fill up the empty when you next pass a filling station. ;)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Looking again at your picture, what does the pipe with the red screw in end go to, Is there a valve attached?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We just need to learn how accurate the guage is and make sure we keep filling up!
I use 6 kg refillable bottles. Roughly speaking, thats 12 ltrs of gas per bottle. One bottle does us a season, which, (the year before last), included one 12 day rally, one four day Bristol Balloon Rally, one four day Malvern rally, and another four day rally in Cheshire, when the fridge, hot water and any heating runs solely on LPG. All our hot water is provided by gas, on or off a hook up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back