Spanish fuel pump labelling in Spain (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Can some one explain what all the new pump labelling is meant to be in Spain?

Types of Diesel = B7 B10 XTL

Types of Petrol= E5 E10 E85

Types of Gas= H2 CNG LPG LNG

colyboy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It isn't just Spain.... Its the whole of Europe plus some bordering countries too.

Gasoline:

The label for the gasoline will be represented in a circle.

• E5 up to 5% Ethanol
  • E10 up to 10% Ethanol
  • E85 up to 85% Ethanol
Diesel:

The label for the diesel will be represented in a square.

• B7 up to 5% of Biodiesel.
  • B10 up to 10% of Biodiesel.
  • XTL with synthetic diesel.
Gases:

The label of the alternative fuels will be represented in a rhombus.

• LNG for Liquefied Natural Gas.
  • CNG for Compressed Natural Gas.
  • LPG for Liquefied Petroleum Gas.
  • H2 for Hydrogen.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Thank you, but which deisil do I use in 2017 Hymer?

Colyboy 4

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
A 2017 Hymer??!!!
Why,the dearest of course!;););)
Seriously,haven’t got a clue. My instinct would be that the older the vehicle,the more likely it is to be OK with the max bio diesel........but someone who really does know will tell us,I’m sure.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Been checking and eventually (ie JUST) found that the Fiat Ducato Maxi should run on Diesel to en590 standards
That is now classed as B7

so that's what we will run Maxine on PLUS it's usually the cheapest one anyway

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
B7 is normal diesel as used before the new codes.
https://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/ACEA_B10_compatibility.pdf

The above link shows which vehicle can use B10 grade,which is quite a lot,but ill stick to B7 in mine.
Cheers Cris.:cheers:.
I think any engine can use the higher grade B10 in the same way an old petrol engine could use 4 or 5 star if it normally used 2 star but it wouldn't make it run any better
The other way round will have serious consequences though.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Using B7 in my Hymer, it’s the same as the old ‘basic’ stuff, no problems at all.

I have tried the more expensive type previously but have never got anywhere near the claimed extra mpg so I now stick to the cheaper one.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thank you, but which deisil do I use in 2017 Hymer?

Colyboy 4
What engine is it ? Unless it specifically states ok on the filler for B10 don't use it. For fiats in that list it specifically states only to be used on ones with sticker.

The cheap stuff or the posh stuff.
B7 is the cheap everyday stuff
B10 is the stuff you need a mortgage for.
No that isn't correct. The existing dearer stuff has additives it isn't the same as B10 with 10% rubbish in it .
As far as I know the B7 is existing cheap & the dearer is still B7 but with additives.

Is it still on the BLACK pumps ?(y)

I think hose/nozzle colours vary by country
UK is black.
& yellow in France is it ?

I think any engine can use the higher grade B10 in the same way an old petrol engine could use 4 or 5 star if it normally used 2 star but it wouldn't make it run any better
The other way round will have serious consequences though.
No the B10 is forbidden in many common rail engines due to the caking that can happen. In that list that shows vehicles most state B10 use is only on medels with a sticker on the filler. & with Fiat that rules out most. Asit does with other manufacturers

** in fact section 2 of the link shows that nearly everything from most manufacturers cannot use B10**unless specifically stickered

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
9A70C436-341C-4C4D-808F-D77548F18B66.png
Don’t know if this may be of any help?
Andrea printed it off and we have stuck it in the van,just in case :whistle:
It’s the French version of course but Europe wide apparently.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ours is 2017 euro 6 and will get the same as it gets now, ;) the cheapest we can find. :LOL: Bob.
The cheapest place around here , Gasexpress has a pump for diesel & a pump for petrol .No choice here.:LOL: apart from an extra 5 cents of tonight for halloween so that's 1,14€(y)
Use red & you get proper diesel :rofl:

Sep 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson 628eb Ford 170
Exp
September 2019
Ours is 2017 euro 6 and will get the same as it gets now, ;) the cheapest we can find. :LOL: Bob.
I hate paying for fuel and on our 2 month, 11 country tour we have used super tanker loads of the evil stuff but with diesel I do always when possible use the high performance stuff. Up to 14 cents more per litre but a (small) improvement in economy. The most important thing is the extra additives that help lubricate the very expensive fuel pump and keep the lines and system clean.

The really cheap supermarket stuff does lack some of the quality of the main brands. Much of the advertising with fuel is complete nonsense but do remember that a fuel pump can cost over £4,000 to replace and I think that it is a wise investment to use decent fuel in your motorhome to help avoid costly problems.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Can some one explain what all the new pump labelling is meant to be in Spain?

Types of Diesel = B7 B10 XTL

Types of Petrol= E5 E10 E85

Types of Gas= H2 CNG LPG LNG

colyboy
B = Bio diesel (derived from agricultural materials)
B7 = 7% fatty acid monoalkyl esters (7% percent biodiesel and 95 percent regular diesel)
XTL = Paraffinic diesel (new design of fuel with near zero sulphur, made from from natural gas)
E = Ethanol
E5 = 5% Ethanol
H2 = Hydrogen
CNG = Methane (Compressed Natural Gas)
LPG = Propane / Butane mix (Liquid Petroleum Gas)
LNG = Methane / Ethane mix (Liquid Natural Gas)

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I hate paying for fuel and on our 2 month, 11 country tour we have used super tanker loads of the evil stuff but with diesel I do always when possible use the high performance stuff. Up to 14 cents more per litre but a (small) improvement in economy. The most important thing is the extra additives that help lubricate the very expensive fuel pump and keep the lines and system clean.

The really cheap supermarket stuff does lack some of the quality of the main brands. Much of the advertising with fuel is complete nonsense but do remember that a fuel pump can cost over £4,000 to replace and I think that it is a wise investment to use decent fuel in your motorhome to help avoid costly problems.

Having run our own trucks for 18 years, and spent more money on diesel than I care to think about, ;) running 44t up hill and down dale, I can honestly say that using cheap fuel never did me or the trucks any harm. :LOL:
In the last 11 years our motorhomes have always been
( probably over ) serviced, but always had cheap fuel. :eek: :LOL: Bob

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990

My OH and I both drive Euro 6 Mitsubishi diesel cars. Our local dealership has been around a long time, and the service staff have been there for many years. At the last service I inquired about using cheap supermarket diesel, and the service manager said they had only ever had one car in for repair with fuel problems, and that there was absolutely no problem with using supermarket fuels.

I wonder how many Ford Transit drivers pay for premium diesel?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017

Yes,supermarket fuel is rubbish.

:reel::imoutahere:

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi All found this it might help someone it did me.

Best Wishes Tony

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Is it still on the BLACK pumps ?(y)
I think hose/nozzle colours vary by country
UK is black.
Yes it definitely does vary. Once when carelessly filling up in Spain I put about 10 litres of petrol into the tank with a black coloured nozzle before I noticed the label said it was petrol. The tank was empty so I decided to just fill up with diesel (60 litres) and hope for the best. Lucky for me it worked out OK.

Now I always read the label.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just been to check the labelling of the pumps at Shell station across the road here in Poland.

The labels are as before but just with B7, E5 etc. added at the bottom corner.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back