Southern France in Autumn? (1 Viewer)

sostas

Free Member
Nov 16, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
We are considering Southern France as a change to Spain for our autumn trip this year - mid September to mid November.
We would take say 14 days to wander down from Calais (east of Paris) via Gorges du Verdon to the Cote d'Azur, spend about four weeks there, taking in Monte Carlo and the Camargue and then take about five days to drive back to Calais. And now for the questions!
(1) What sort of weather can we expect en route and on the coast?
(2) If we use the higher roads, Col de Larch for example, will we encounter snow and is carrying chains compulsory on these roads?
(3) We will use aires but can anyone recommend autumn opening campsites in Provence and on the Cote d’Azur? And how much?
We have been through France several times so have an idea of tolls, N roads, distances, aires etc. but suggestions will be appreciated.
Hope this query isn’t too open ended.
Thanks Sostas :Smile:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We`ve been to the Cote d`Azur in September/October on about four occasions usually staying at La Vielle Ferme near Antibies. (about £18 per night with Caravan Club).
Buses and Trains all within a short walk. Buses dirt cheap in June this year, each trip is 1e so you can go from the site to Nice for 1e then to Monaco or as far as Menton for another euro. Train to Monaco was about 11.6e return.
Been through the mountains in September never had a problem with weather although late October it maybe starting to get snowy on the passes.
Up to the beginning of October its around 20* during the day although we did have a colder spell for a short period once, generally dry and sunny. The season starts to show signs of winding up towards October although still plenty of people on beaches, the carmargue area I should think will be fairly quiet.
Motorway Tolls are in my opinion getting beyond worth paying at around £250 return for Class 2, some sections are reasonably priced see French Autoroute Web Page for prices.
One point if you are using sites en route they start to get a little thin at the end of September onwards check to make sure they are open when planning your route, particularily on return.

ronij

Free Member
Mar 28, 2009
Funster No
can recommend Monplaisir at St Remy de Provence. Not sure how much it is but info is on their website. Wonderful showerblock. Short walk to good supermarket and then a little further to the interesting town with plenty of cafes and restaurants.::bigsmile: Site open to the end of October and family run. When we were last there plenty of Dutch using it until the end of the season before heading to Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
We've been to the Cote d'Azure in October for the last few years. Weather has always been fab, water warm and resorts not too busy. We've stayed on a site near Grimaud - Camping des Pinards, half way between Grimaud and Port Grimaud, although I'm not sure this year as I've heard the charges for the site have increased under new ownership.

I also, incidentally, spent an autumn in south west France. Again, the weather was great but I don't find the area as nice as Provence (although I'm flying off this Sunday to Perpignan to retrieve my MH from Perpignan where I left it a month or so ago).

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i find oct.ok but nov.gets wet windy n you know winters on its way . things close its quiet well worth a visit but take thick woolly jumpers n coats. snow is usually starting to appear inland on hills but its the rain i dont like,washes the mud out of fields. be prepared i,m sure you,ll have fun. course it can be lovely n sunny ,then its at its best not too many people around.

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
South of France

Hi, Ian and I went to the area you mentioned last September. We had booked the first site but we were told that they closed 30th Sept until the next spring. We went, thinking we could find another open site locally but that wasnt to be. We intend going again in September this year but will plan it a little better and book sites before we travel - perhaps we might see you there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Don't only think of the South of France - much of the centre-west enjoys a good climate at that time of year. There are also many fairs that will give you a taste of rural France - locally there is Cidre et Cochonaille on the 3rd Sunday in October (literally Cider and piglet, and you could win the latter!) and in the four years we have been here every one of these fairs has taken place on a bright, sunny and warm day. The 4th Sunday in October offers the chestnut fair at Dournazac, and so it goes on, so much to see and do.

Wherever you go, enjoy what is a beautiful country.

Bob

OP
OP
S

sostas

Free Member
Nov 16, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
"Thank you" to all who have replied to my query so far. I will certainly check out the recommendations. The fairs certainly sound interesting.
Regards
Sostas :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back