South of France - Last two weeks of August? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

Should I book Campsites?.

I have been trying to organise a trip down to Grimuad/St. Tropez with our two of our Grandchildren 8 and 5, late August, 20th onwards.

It is a place I know well, the usual place we book, les Naides no longer accept tourers. Camping De La Plage have an archaic booking system (send choice of four plots by post with an SAE). Des Mures are messing me around, Holiday Marina is €600 for a week and we don't like Prairies del la mer.

We would like to be near the beach, as a last resort, subject to space. We don't mind Cavaliere Aire.

I was just going to turn up and see whats available. Mrs TM is worried we might end up with no place to stay?.

Advice from those who have done it please?.

TM

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
I would book something. Last May we were at La Baie in Cavalaire and they were fully booked from the start of June! Lovely area so good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Children 8 and 5 - booking required.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Definite booking or change your destination slightly, very poor area for Aires so no backup, and they aren't mad on wild camping either, and that must be about the two busiest weeks:(

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Closer to Spain would be my recommendation (y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We were in that area this Easter and speaking to some of the regulars, they either book sites early, tempt fate and try aires or avoid altogether. We were going back there but decided to stay further north.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Book ahead.
It'll be utterly rammed at that time, and you'll basically die if you don't have a booked pitch with EHU for aircon (I assume you have aircon if you're going to go to the med coast of France at the very hottest time of the year?)
All sites will have millions of screaming kids running around all day/night, but that's just the way it is at the peak of August on southern French campsites.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Book ahead.
It'll be utterly rammed at that time, and you'll basically die if you don't have a booked pitch with EHU for aircon (I assume you have aircon if you're going to go to the med coast of France at the very hottest time of the year?)
All sites will have millions of screaming kids running around all day/night, but that's just the way it is at the peak of August on southern French campsites.
Gave it a like , but not really liking it, it's dead true though, two young kids, it's going to be murder.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Obviously, it is likely to be very busy, but I think the main French school holidays are almost over by then.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Obviously, it is likely to be very busy, but I think the main French school holidays are almost over by then.

No. Sprogs are on school holiday right until end of August.
Basically half of the entire population of Paris goes south en masse for the first two weeks of August, then the other half of the population all go south for the second two weeks.
It's utter chaos on the roads during those 4 changeover travel weekends, and it's utter chaos in the campsites along the Med and southern western coast too, throughout the whole month.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
That's why we arrive in port Grimaud on September the first...(y)

2 adults on beachside, August €430 Per Week. Children 3 year and over €49 a week
2 adults on beachside, September ACSI, £130 per week.

I can understand why.

We have a Villa in Spain that is rented out for the summer. Our Grandchildren have just lost their other Grandmother and we want to take them away. St. Tropez was my first holiday when I was 15. And we used to take our children when they were younger. Hence the decision to head that way.

Unless anyone has other suggestions?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
2 adults on beachside, August €430 Per Week. Children 3 year and over €49 a week

I can understand why.

We have a Villa in Spain that is rented out for the summer. Our Grandchildren have just lost their other Grandmother and we want to take them away. St. Tropez was my first holiday when I was 15. And we used to take our children when they were younger. Hence the decision to head that way.

where you starting from chesire or spain?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Cheshire

Using Dover-Calais or Eurotunnel.

We usually use Hull Routes but the price is just too much. And People say Brittany Ferries are expensive.
Would Brittany be any good - not so hot for 8 and 5 year olds, and not so far for them to travel. Our grandchildren love Brittany.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My my advice for what its worth, is avoid the place, too hot,way too hot, way too crowded, full of French people on holiday, filling the restaurants, the beaches, the car parks. We went when oldest daughter was still at school a few years back, complete nightmare, jams everywhere, never again.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Would Brittany be any good - not so hot for 8 and 5 year olds, and not so far for them to travel. Our grandchildren love Brittany.

Hi,

Yes, We like Brittany. But Benodet for example is 460 miles from Calais, 720 to Grimaud and no Brittamy Ferries to pay for.

Plus, I have booked Doussard, Lake Annecy on the return trip. As I might take a flight off Col De Fourclaz.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

I can understand why.

St. Tropez is hugely expensive compared with St. Maxime. 2 wines in the latter about €6 in St. Tropez, anything they want but at least €15. small water on the beach cost me €8. !!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Might consider hanging around the lakes, Annecy, lac d'aiguebelette and that region.
Far better idea in my humble opinion (y), mind saying that, it's going to be packed there at that time of the year:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back