Solo Fulltimer - Space Requirements (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again, for DVLA your van now has to look like a campervan ie a rear window or two :) inside you have to have a bed or seats that convert to a bed a two ring cooker,sink, table and a wardrobe....the wardrobe can simply be the cupboard under the cooker,you could possibly get away with the wood burner for cooking and your bucket for a sink....it all depends on the bloke at DVLA and if he agrees with your interpretation of the requirements.They will either let you change the use from a van to motor caravan or not.If you stick to the above requirements there will be no problems, simply send a couple of pics as a van (preferred one showing number plate and interior ) and 3/4 showing your conversion,good luck with convincing them with your bucket as a sink ;)
Terry

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Hi again, for DVLA your van now has to look like a campervan ie a rear window or two :) inside you have to have a bed or seats that convert to a bed a two ring cooker,sink, table and a wardrobe....the wardrobe can simply be the cupboard under the cooker,you could possibly get away with the wood burner for cooking and your bucket for a sink....it all depends on the bloke at DVLA and if he agrees with your interpretation of the requirements.They will either let you change the use from a van to motor caravan or not.If you stick to the above requirements there will be no problems, simply send a couple of pics as a van (preferred one showing number plate and interior ) and 3/4 showing your conversion,good luck with convincing them with your bucket as a sink ;)
Terry

I read the gov site (as I have a little side project van conversion going)
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...to-a-motorhome#motor-caravan-minimum-features
and it's a very odd definition.

No fridge, toilet or form of heating is needed which is bizarre.
Then they say you need gas or electric cooking OR a microwave, then later they say you need a twin burner. In the van with no toilet, fridge or heating.

The gas is a pain as it's really not needed, a single burner portable is just fine for usage (and I already have one), so I may try bolting down one of those to see, then if it's rejected use a Cadac 2 double burner instead.

We'll see, it does look like a camper now at least, like you say I suspect it depends on who you get!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Could you use a 2-ring electric hob suitably fixed? Assuming you're putting in EHU then that would be the power source.

Motor caravan minimum feature

Cooking facilities
Cooking facilities must:​
  • be an integral part of the vehicle living accommodation and mounted independently of other items
  • be secured to the vehicle floor and / or side wall
  • be secured as a permanent feature - bolted, riveted, screwed, or welded
  • consist of a minimum of a 2 ring cooking facility or a microwave in either case having a fuel / power source
If the cooking facility is fuelled by gas having a remote fuel supply:​
  • the fuel supply pipe must be permanently secured to the vehicle structure
  • the fuel reservoir must be secured in a storage cupboard or the reservoir secured to the vehicle structure

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Be careful with your insurance, 365 is NOT full timing, i.e. living in the van, having an address but not owning a property. The requirements for full time insurance are pretty strict as with regards type of van, age and value.
Don't be too rose tinted about the wwoofing, personal experience, you may want to have your own shower facilities and accommodation depending on what you are willing to put up with.
Have you got sufficient funds to live off, it can drain fast
And as to space, well, we are all different, I spent a long time thinking about what I wanted and am happy even though I would love the van just a bit shorter, but that can't be done (don't quite have the skills to do my own conversion and not sure I'd be able to get insurance for that). I do like some comfort as I'm intending to be into this for the long run, only 16 months so far but loving it. It will all depend on how much time you will spend inside the van, cook yourself or eat out, pub every day etc. I spend winter in the UK, don't eat out, don't drink, so this is really my home, spend a lot of time in it and I want to be cosy in here.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back