Solar panel removal (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 26, 2021
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Wellhouse PVC Camper
Exp
I have a Ford Transit Custom Wellhouse LUX XL camper with a solar panel glued to the roof. This panel has stopped working with no output. Have any Funsters had experience of removing a panel off the roof and if so was the roof damaged?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Yes and yes, I had to scrape it with a heated scraper.

But is aluminium, itā€™s old and I cannot see it

I have the new panel up now

image.jpg

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have a Ford Transit Custom Wellhouse LUX XL camper with a solar panel glued to the roof. This panel has stopped working with no output. Have any Funsters had experience of removing a panel off the roof and if so was the roof damaged?

Is it going to be easier to leave the old panel in place and fit a new panel over the top of the old panel ?

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Yes. Or possibly no!
My panel (and several others with the same batch code) failed late last year. It was removed and replaced this spring. However I didn't do the removal/replacement! Hence the 'no', as doing the work wasn't my personal experience. The supplier did an excellent job and you would never know there had been a previous one taken off. I was concerned that the new one would be stuck on over the old one, but that was not the case. The roof in question is an SCA 194 pop top.

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Best method for sika removal seems to be a multi tool with a straight blade ie no teeth on it cuts very well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Every chance there's a hole cut under the panel where the cables enter.
The cables will then be above the roof lining.
You will have no idea how big the hole is so a new panel over the old would be my first option.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I have removed several over the years, I use a angled pallet knife with a small sawing action to cut through the Sikaflex, itā€™s time consuming but worked for me,
Obviously once the panel is removed you need to clean the roof of any remnants before replacing the solar panel,
IMG_7334.png

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway EB
Exp
New
Cheese wire see Nigel Ivy's video about 3 mins in:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Steve and Denise has given you the best and easiest answer to getting your panel off. I used to use a sharp filling knife for years then about 8/10 years ago got a cordless multi tool which I ground the teeth off an old blade using my belt sander then sharpened a edge on it. It now takes less than 2 mins and no blisters on my shoving hand šŸ‘šŸ˜‰

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Depends on the panel and how it was fixed.
If fully flexible, probably will damage the roof - can it be left in place and a rigid placed over it?
If rigid and Sikaflex was used then itā€™s hard work but doable with piano wire (with hopefully no damage to the roof).

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2022
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Eliseo C602
Exp
Since 2016
Cheese wire see Nigel Ivy's video
I have used the cheese wire method on 2 semi flexible panels that were directly stuck down on vans with many strips of Sikaflex adhesive. It's surprisingly easy to saw through the adhesive. You then need to scrap the residue off and clean up with solvent.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back