Solar panel I am set up right (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2020
Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since 2018
Hi can anybody help again, I am looking at my EC400 unit, I have set the select to Engine battery and left the box switched on, with charger switch pushed in, it as not been charging off the solar panel, please be gentle I am a novice (ps solar panel fitted in June by garage)
Cheers
Jeff

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It could be a case that at this time of year just not enough power from the solar,,
If any help you can get the manual here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Could it be that the installer connected the solar panel directly to the hab battery and not through the EC400, so is only capable of charging the leisure battery?

That would be quite common as it’s often easier for them and they don’t have to know the ins and outs of various control panels and systems.

If that’s the case it may be easier to just add a Battery Master or CBE CSB 2 type trickle charging unit to charge both batteries from solar....when there’s enough sun.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Thanks again, might be red hot tomorrow and problem solved 🤪
Not if your solar is not connected to the cab (engine) battery. 😱

I would ask the installer how they installed it and what it’s connected to.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The EC400 should have the 'Smart Charging' system, which should, so long as the unit is left switched on, direct both EHU & solar charge to whichever battery needs it.

As others have said, this will only happen if the installer has wired the panels to the EC400. Do you know if the installer also fitted a separate solar controller, or do the wires from the panel go direct to the EC400 (which has a built in solar controller).

As an aside, there is a limit as to what the EC400 can handle. If you only have a single panel, that should be within the capabilities of the built in controller, although it isn't the most efficient type available.

OP
OP
J
Sep 5, 2020
Durham, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since 2018
Hi There is some sort of controller in the cupboard, wired to the solar panel, which always as a green light on
Is there a simple test a novice can carry out, installers garage shut with lock down so can’t really help, was installed in June
Cheers
Jeff

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
See if you can trace the other two (there could be four more) wires coming out of the controller.....to see if they go to your ec400 or your leisure battery.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hi There is some sort of controller in the cupboard, wired to the solar panel, which always as a green light on
Is there a simple test a novice can carry out, installers garage shut with lock down so can’t really help, was installed in June
Cheers
Jeff

Photograph of the box with wires going in may help. I put photograph on here and got the answer. (y)

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If the solar regulator/controller is wired into the EC400 it should be into the socket P14 in the back of the unit to enable the solar smart system control in the EC400 to be used to charge both batteries as required. .
If the solar regulator/controller is wired to only the leisure battery , as suggested, fitting a Battery master would keep the starter battery charged up at the same time as the leisure battery from the solar panel.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Is your leisure battery easy to access and do you have a multi meter, if yes, with your ec400 still switched to cab battery check the voltage of your leisure battery on a sunny day and make a note of the reading, then cover the whole of your solar panel and check the battery voltage again, if you see a fall in the voltage the panel is more than likely wired straight to the leisure battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back