solar Panel fitted but nothing else, cables left hanging (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
I have a Solar panel fitted on the top of my MH, its about 1 X 3 feet or 300 x 900 mm. it has no sign of any labels etc and if I connect a volt meter to the out put it reads 20 -21 volts on an overcast day.

I have no idea of output in terms of power but rather than connect it direct to the battery I bought a 20 amp controller which has 6 connections

two for the battery
two for the panel
two for the load

I have it currently connected to the panel and the battery and it appears to be charging the battery, the diagram seems to suggest that I take the load waires from the battery and connect then to the load terminals..

Does that sound correct ??

never had anything to do with SP before

Thans Muchly

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
No, you don't have to connect anything to the load terminals. you could connect a usb socket or summit if you wanted to(y)
Thanks, so I still draw direct loads from the battery ? the controller has two built in USB ports. :)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
You should connect the controller to the batteries first and solar panel last, so the controller recognises battery state, if not its possible to overcharge the batteries.

John.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The load terminals are there so that solar panels can be used as the only source of power (in other words they aren't connected to a battery that is also charged by other sources such as an engine alternator and an EHU powered charger). If the solar panel was used to power a light for a road sign (for example) The light would be connected to the load terminals. On many regulators additional functions such as on/off switching for night/day conditions are incorporated and affect the load terminals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back