Solar 'load' connections ? (1 Viewer)

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
I have a Victron 75/15 MMPT controller & although I've read the Instructions I'm no wiser - what's the benefit of running everything (lights etc) from the 'Load' connections rather than direct from the hab batteries ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sometimes it has a timer function. Generally of no use at all unless the load is easier to connect at the regulator than at the battery

Reactions: DBK
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I had one that showed battery charge percentage and a bar graph, if you didn't use the load connection the reading wasn't accurate because it never knew what current was used from the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have the same controller and haven't used the load connections. My understand is they are used only in specific installations where you have a load which is only going to be driven by solar power. In a MH every normal load can be driven by potentially three different sources of power and frequently by two at the same time. For example when driving the engine will be putting 12v into the leisure batteries and so also will the solar. Then if you connect the EHU it will provide a charge - as will the solar at the same time if it isn't dark. :) So the normal MH loads like lights etc are generally wired to the leisure batteries (through fuses and switches of course) and the batteries are in turn charged by the various sources mentioned above. It may sound like electrical anarchy but they get on with each other. :)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Solar controllers are used in all kinds of applications - nighttime lighting, CCTV monitoring, advertising signage, road signs. The load terminals are convenient for timing and light/dark sensing. In a motorhome the load terminals have no real use, and are generally ignored.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Only just getting to grips with solar controller. I decided to connect up my new roof fan to the load as will mainly be used for exhausting hot air or cooking smells from the MH in daylight hours.

OP
OP
V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
That's great (& easily digested by my aging brain) - based on that info I'll ignore the 'load' connections & leave stuff connected (fused) from the hab batteries

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Never used the load outputs on mine either, everything comes from the battery although to cut down on the connections to the battery I use a 12v fuse box as well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Programmable on mine.
A.. 2amp aux battery charge
B.. Dusk to Dawn power supply
C.. Timed load controller

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
My load goes to a fan as mentioned above, but found that fan still works at midnight and so I am assuming the controller allows power from the leisure battery to flow to the load terminals? Am I right or is there some magic at work?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Am I right or is there some magic at work?
Youer right?...
The load terminals are fed from the battery the solar controller charges... can feed lights through the night etc ..
As mentioned some have timer functions..
And if you are feeding a load while the panel is still producing then the load will take priority and the battery will get only the excess..
Andy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My load goes to a fan as mentioned above, but found that fan still works at midnight and so I am assuming the controller allows power from the leisure battery to flow to the load terminals? Am I right or is there some magic at work?
It does take power from the batteries but will turn it off if the voltage drops below a set figure. :)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Interesting.... I have a probable poor connection of power to my Fanmaster fan unit (all works bar the fan doesn't get quite enough juice to go full chat sometimes).
I may try a temporary fix (with in line fuse and speed controller) wired direct from load to fan PCB..... Will prove if my poor connection theory is correct before I have to trace darned wire behind fireplace and several cupboards.

Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
I have a USB output thingie from eBay connected into load from controller. Handy for charging phone etc direct from Hab batt.

It was explained to me that controller has IN from panels OUT to batts and LOAD for taking power intermediate

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back