SOG toilet conversion x worth it? (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Hi,

We’re considering getting the toilet in our new MH converted to a SOG system. The dealer can do it for £250 and we’re keen to remove the need to use chemicals in the cassette. Well also be travelling around Europe for the best part of 12 months so am I right in thinking it’s easier to dispose of black water with no chemicals in it?

Thanks in advance fellow Funsters!

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Blue formaldehyde preservative chemicals are staining, highly toxic and should be banned IMO, but using the Bio stuff does a different job to the SOG - just in case people confuse the two as being alternatives..

Bio washing product is ALWAYS worth using IMO as it starts breaking down anything immediately, the SOG merely stops stuff smelling as it's simply a fan that draws air out.

A fan installed near the toilet bowl would probably be almost as good but may get draughty in winter - an advantage of one that draws through the cassette is that it's mostly closed when the lid goes down but involves more work when emptying. Both seem to involve drilling some hole in the van however... anyone done this?

Upvote 1

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
It is worth it, you don’t get that horrible chemical smell when you go!
We have a SOG and in hot weather use a splash of Bio clothes wash liquid.
We also use a small bin lined with scented Nappy bag for the loo paper-emptied every day. That way the cassette can last us 3 maybe 4 days which can be a bonus!
It’s surprising how much room paper takes up in a cassette & no the bin doesn’t smell bad!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can fit the kit yourself and save about £100. Or you can make your own kit for a fraction of the cost if you are DIY competent.

I'm in the process of making one using a computer fan, switch, wiring, plastic hose etc but it'll be a while before I get the chance to finish it as it's not a high priority. My reason for having it isn't so much to avoid having chemicals but so than when hubby using the loo for no 2 the 'smell' will be drawn outside the camper! :D

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
If possible and you are having it installed professionally, then consider one with a roof outlet, it doesn't need filters which will add to the running costs over time.
Link Removed
Cheers
Ed

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My new motorhome came with a roof vented SOG as standard. I have to say I am thoroughly impressed. I turn it and the water pump off at night so as not to disturb my wife and the difference is noticeable. As other Funsters have suggested I put a splash of Bio in to keep things fresh but I doubt that it is really necessary.

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We've used a SOG for the last 6yrs and enjoy:

1) the lack of chemicals, we don't use any at all
2) less smell in the bathroom, especially in warm climates

You do really need to change the carbon filter once a year, roughly £10 or less and takes 5mins.

It's an easy DIY install and the kit is well made.

One negative point is that you do need to put a cap on the vent pipe once you remove the cassette for emptying, this cap can get quite dirty if you run your cassette towards it's limits or when you do the "shake and slosh" during the emptying process, easy enough to clean though.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Have a look at the Vantastic video blog the Finish couple installed a SOG themselves you may find it of interest and save some cash too

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
A fan installed near the toilet bowl would probably be almost as good but may get draughty in winter - an advantage of one that draws through the cassette is that it's mostly closed when the lid goes down but involves more work when emptying. Both seem to involve drilling some hole in the van however... anyone done this?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Go for it we have always had SOG's in our vans.
Only thing I would say is don't have the door vented one they do not work as well as the floor or roof vented ones. The roof vent type does not need a filter, the floor vented ones the filter is expensive at £25. On mine I drilled a 20mm hole in the side and refill it with active charcoal pellets, stopper the hole with a cut down wine bottle cork costs £3 to refill.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Go for it we have always had SOG's in our vans.
Only thing I would say is don't have the door vented one they do not work as well as the floor or roof vented ones. The roof vent type does not need a filter, the floor vented ones the filter is expensive at £25. On mine I drilled a 20mm hole in the side and refill it with active charcoal pellets, stopper the hole with a cut down wine bottle cork costs £3 to refill.
Hi Lenny
Do you do this with the thetford charcoal cassette filter?

Upvote 0

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
The Thetford system also has a filter that needs changing from time to time. On my Autotrail the fan and filter seems to be mounted in the cassette cabinet floor, and somehow the fan sucks though a connector in the bottom of the cassette. I dunno about the SOG system, but the Thetford only comes on as you start the flush pump (so you effectively do that before you go) and can then run for around 5 minutes. It sounds like something is going to take off! Of course running the flush pump isn't good if you need to conserve water and avoid filling that cassette.

Upvote 0

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We have had Sogs in our previous vans, but the new V-line came with the thetford version already installed as standard, well impressed.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny
Do you do this with the thetford charcoal cassette filter?
I don't see why you couldn't, could just use a bit of gaffa tape to cover the hole you would need to make to refill.

I notice that Thetford say to change the filter every 4 weeks where as with a SOG it's annually. Not surprising as the SOG filter holds at least 4 times the amount of charcoal. I change my SOG one 2 to 3 times a year.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have had Sogs in our previous vans, but the new V-line came with the thetford version already installed as standard, well impressed.
Wait until you see the price of the filters and they need changing every 4 weeks.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I am liking my no filter roof vented SOG even more now I have seen the posts about charcoal filter costs.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
A/S Clubman
This is what can happen if you can not get rid of the gas,???
BE572D47-0375-455C-814C-A448C121447E.jpeg

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
I fitted a SOG kit a couple of weeks ago. Took about an hour and you only need general DIY skills.

The toilet now smells much better and the kit cost about £180 for our Thetford.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not sure you have to replace thetford every 4 weeks. I think their manuals may have become confused. A link on the cartridge detail suggests it will "lasts an average season (+/- 4 weeks continuous use)"
Even so I refill my SOG one 2 to 3 times a year and that probably has 4 times the amount of charcoal than in the Thetford so 4 weeks use sounds about right if you don't want to stink out your neighbours.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back