So where are we now with Europe? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Sorry to start another thread on this, with so many running, but all with different views.
So, what are we looking at now with Europe, where exactly can we go without quarentine, and when?.
Don't need a discussion on the rights and wrongs, just the facts, please. (y) :Smile:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It does depend upon your point of view still as all European countries are still amber so will be against FCO advice negating (probably) your travel insurance
From June 9th (at the moment) you will be able to visit France if you are double jabbed but restrictions upon return.
From there (at the moment) you cant go into Germany/Austria/Norway for 10 days without a Q period (might be 14 days til you can go in but restrictive anyway).
The next round of potential green countries (where at the moment you still have to do some testing on the way back) will be on June 28th so official news in the week preceeding that.

Unfortunately, guessing what HMG will do is a minefield. Countries likely to be visited in a very strong position to be likely to be considered Green in 3 weeks will be Italy, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Hungary and Portugal (who descended below us since they were announced as amber) with outside bet on Spain (but they need to improve quite a bit)

The problem being we dont know what the factual criteria is and even more of a problem (this is opinion) is that we dont know if any other countries will put us on their red list which could prevent us going now when we are currently allowed to go.

If I were intent on getting over there, not concerned about getting back soon, I would be booking up to go as soon as the border to France opens and they change their mind, but if we continue to rise as we have been for about 3 weeks, then its political decisions and anybodys guess is as good as anyone elses.

Based upon all of that, I ve bitten the bullet and will be remaining in the UK for June 28th holiday as just too many variables for someone who has to return for work.

But tomorrow it might become clearer .............................. or not.

Retired, double jabbed, I d be off like a shot.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
It does depend upon your point of view still as all European countries are still amber so will be against FCO advice negating (probably) your travel insurance
But tomorrow it might become clearer .............................. or not.
Retired, double jabbed, I d be off like a shot.
I am retired ,had covid at xmas , double jabbed ,and considering i have been going France ( inc Germany Belgium Holland) for the last 15 years i have no intention of going this year as it doesn't look like much of Europe will be opened up in the near future . Tunnel put off for the third time until next June. I have no intention of paying the extortionate prices for tests and my holiday plans are usually to visit as many of places/areas i have not seen in the month or 6 weeks i usually spend over there. . As Irelands on the green list if it weren't for the bumped up ferry prices i would have that on my list .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
chaser, be aware that you will have to pre book day 2 and day 8 tests in the UK before leaving France (as it stands now, and of course you must quarantine for ten days). The cheapest I can find is £84 (per person). Plus the cost of a test in France before departing for UK...no idea of cost, here in Portugal its between €20-€30 euros. You can also pay for a test to release on day 5 of your quarantine, again from £50 per person if you don't want to do the 10 days.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The right answer - IMHO - is to timely visit the gov' websites of the country(ies) you wish to visit for the 'real' perspective - rather than Google, the man down the pub; or Joe/Joan said....

And do it again just before departure.

I can just tell you today's info on our trip next week from Poland through Slowakia, Austria, Italy to Greece.

Of course my reply does not address leaving and re-entering UK, but gives info on countries once one is on the road.

Slowakia: No requirements if transit in 8 hrs (Confirmed by e-mail from Maj in Border Police.)

Austria: " vaccination certificate + 14 days.

Italy: No restrictions if transit within 36 hours OR PCR/Swab test within 48 hours of entry.

Greece: Vaccination Certificate + 14 days.

We have both got vaccinations + 14 ,days but may try to get swab tests in Austria to avoid dashing 600km from Austria/Italy border to Ancona ferry in 36 hours - two nightstops would be more comfortable.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You can also pay for a test to release on day 5 of your quarantine, again from £50 per person if you don't want to do the 10 days.
But is it worth it? You still have to take the day 8 test & if you catch it betweenthe day 5 & day 8 you have to quarantine & test all over again.:LOL:

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Nothing is certain as far as travel overseas is concerned, doesn't help when the criteria that the uk gov uses is known only to them, ( although i cannot see why they have removed portugal from the green list as they are very similar to us at the moment) maybe it's not known to them and more like a finger in the air job??
We are "planning" to go to france on the 11th, but if things change then that will have to be accepted, either before we go, or while we are away.
I think the way france has approached this issue is reasonable and sensible, double vaccinated can go with an additional test before you enter if from amber, No tests for green,( which i would still test for personally), red effectively closed.
Anyone who is going should weigh up the risks appropriate for their own circumstances, pay your money and take your choice.
If it all goes pear shaped for us at least, you won't hear me whining about it, because it's our choice.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Nothing is certain as far as travel overseas is concerned, doesn't help when the criteria that the uk gov uses is known only to them, ( although i cannot see why they have removed portugal from the green list as they are very similar to us at the moment) maybe it's not known to them and more like a finger in the air job??
We are "planning" to go to france on the 11th, but if things change then that will have to be accepted, either before we go, or while we are away.
I think the way france has approached this issue is reasonable and sensible, double vaccinated can go with an additional test before you enter if from amber, No tests for green,( which i would still test for personally), red effectively closed.
Anyone who is going should weigh up the risks appropriate for their own circumstances, pay your money and take your choice.
If it all goes pear shaped for us at least, you won't hear me whining about it, because it's our choice.
I think you're post in a way sums up the truth that it's at the moment like an mot just tells you the rules at this moment tomorrow who knows.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Afraid nothing changed then really.
If you are only going for a fortnight , it's all going to be in quarentine one side or the other :(

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Afraid nothing changed then really.
If you are only going for a fortnight , it's all going to be in quarentine one side or the other :(
And with the added expense of all the testing required... :unsure:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
So from the 9th we can go to France but not come back, is that right?
Why worry about coming home..live for today.😀..Managed 10 weeks last year without quarantine returning

Germany..In Spain at the moment,feel very safe..If we have to quarantine on return at least we have been away.BUSBY.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the bit that makes a lot of this immaterial is the advice that if the FCO say not to visit, including all amber countries, your vehicle insurance is invalid in that country. Pretty much stops all uk motorhomes from being used abroad right now

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
the bit that makes a lot of this immaterial is the advice that if the FCO say not to visit, including all amber countries, your vehicle insurance is invalid in that country. Pretty much stops all uk motorhomes from being used abroad right now
That is not correct i'm afraid, and before anyone says the same for travel insurance, that wouldn't be correct either, i am covered on both counts.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That is not correct i'm afraid, and before anyone says the same for travel insurance, that wouldn't be correct either, i am covered on both counts.
It is what insurance companies are saying if asked

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I had better ask mine again then
Its been extensively covered in another thread, i read my policy cover to cover, no mention of any relevant restrictions, so i called the broker and asked the same they confirmed, and then backed that up in writing (email), my advice check your exclusions on your policy, if there are none, get that backed up in writing.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Removing Portugal from the green list is a stupid thing to do,in my opinion. It is simply not backed up by the figures. By doing so,Boris has shafted UK travel industry and the nation of Portugal at a stroke. I think he may be losing the plot,or maybe too pissed after his wedding.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Can't see that in my policy.BUSBY.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
NFU havent.
As far as my nfu insurance goes , they actually sent out a letter to say you are not insured abroad, that was when it all started, they have not sent anything out since to say anything has changed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back