So that’s that (1 Viewer)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve completed the lamp load test on my two four year old GEL Haze 100AH batteries and one is Ok but the other is a bin job.
So what can cause this difference in longevity and what’s the best way to keep batteries in tip top condition , any recommendations appreciated 👍
Thanks all.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I’ve completed the lamp load test on my two four year old GEL Haze 100AH batteries and one is Ok but the other is a bin job.
So what can cause this difference in longevity and what’s the best way to keep batteries in tip top condition , any recommendations appreciated 👍
Thanks all.
Keep them on float charge when not in use and keep the discharges shallow 👍

Don't bin the dead one, you'll get about 8 quid scrap for it 😎

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't know anything about Haze but 4 years is a very short life for a gel.
To look after then try to keep the max current draw to the C5 rate.
Charge with a charger with a proper gel profile that gives a decent absorbtion phase, this also applies to your solar controller.
Don't leave them discharged after discharge try to fully recharge them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wp1234
Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Don't know anything about Haze but 4 years is a very short life for a gel.
To look after then try to keep the max current draw to the C5 rate.
Charge with a charger with a proper gel profile that gives a decent absorbtion phase, this also applies to your solar controller.
Don't leave them discharged after discharge try to fully recharge them.

Mmm Thank for this , I’m gonna check the charger profile ( which I hope the dealer did) . I’m guessing that I’ve been unlucky and ended up with a dud Haze battery especially as one of them is ok .

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for the scrap tip 👍so keeping the van permanently plugged in on the drive is ok for the battery ?
Yes should be, but make sure the van has a decent multi stage charger. Ours came with a 13.8v power supply in 2014 🙄

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks all.

We have lead acid not Gel. We have had our 2 habitation batteries from 2013 (8yrs) and have them on EHU at home and we have a B2B charger on the move, but never on EHU when away, but we do not stay more than 2 nights without moving.

Because our charger is a Schaudt Elekroblok from 2003 I think it is not very sophisticated, but the above regime keeps ours up OK.

My starter battery lasted 12 years in my ownership, and I do not know what before - could have been original, i.e. 2003(18 yrs)

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back