So I started a couple of little jobs........ (1 Viewer)

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Last year I had noticed that there was a bit of sponginess in part of the floor of the Motorhome, which I guess wasn't too surprising for a 20 year old Motorhome. So over the winter I decided to remove the old carpet and have a good look to see if there was anything major or if it was just delamination.
Due to some unexpected work coming through at the beginning of the year the repairs were a bit delayed and then the whole Covid issue started to raise it's ugly head. As my far better half works in Vaccine development for one of the big Pharma companies and the true extent of Covid started to become clear, it was fairly obvious that we were not going to get much of a chance to get away for the foreseeable future. Even trying to arrange a single day off in the past 6/7 months has been neigh on impossible for her.
So I decided that I would sort a few little niggly jobs out that I had really been putting off. Unfortunately things started to get a bit out of hand. Yes the delaminated flooring got sorted and some nice slideyouty bins were made and fitted in the under seat storage, and some storage was made up for crockery etc but whilst I was fixing the floor I started to notice a lot of marks and scrapes that had been made over the years on a number of doors and frames. This then led to MFBH deciding that she would actually quite like to brighten the interior up a bit as the original wood was a bit too "woody" for her, especially now that we had had the seats reupholstered and new curtains (still not sure why we have curtains as we've never used them in the 5 years we've had this Motorhome).
So finally I can now reveal the refurbished interior.
Floor delamination fixed.
New LVT flooring installed.
All remaining original fabric covered boards removed and replaced with thinner/lighter panels with same fabric as seats.
New cushioned panels fitted around the seating/bed which is a bit nicer then smacking your knuckles against the wall/cabinet sides in the middle of the night.
Sink/cooker splashback area tiled with stick on tiles.
All woodwork painted and sealed.
All doors painted and sealed and new matte silver catches fitted.
It may not be to everyone's taste but I actually rather like it and most importantly so does Sarah. It's just such a shame that we won't get the chance to enjoy it until next year. But at least I still have some of those little jobs I've been putting off to keep me occupied until then.

interior-before.jpg

The before ⬆and the after⬇
interior-after1.jpg

interior-after2.jpg

interior-after3.jpg

interior-after4.jpg
interior-before.jpg
interior-after1.jpg
interior-after2.jpg
interior-after3.jpg
interior-after4.jpg

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Forte
Exp
10years
Not bad to start with but serious improment!! Looks like a happy place to be now rather than just a nice place to be!!!

OP
OP
SteveJ

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Many thanks for all the positive comments, it took a while to get it finished to how we liked it but we think it was definitely worth it.
Looks Gorgeous ! Can I ask what material you used to cover the seats ? Wool? Linen? Man made ?

Got the material for the seats here:
Bases https://www.upholstery-fabricsuk.co...rone/piazza/cristina-marrone-piazza-pia-1640/
Backs https://www.upholstery-fabricsuk.co...rone/piazza/cristina-marrone-piazza-pia-1626/
Used the same material as used on the seat bases for the pelmets around the windows, padded panels at each end of, and behind, the seats, for the pelmet around the cab and for the couple of padded panels by the door and behind the drivers seat.
Had the actual seats, lounge and cab, reupholstered by a local upholsterer, he made an excellent job of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Looking great and I'm sure you must feel justly proud of what you have achieved! Also, off-topic, please convey a huge, heartfelt "thank-you" to your partner for their work and sacrifice during such a difficult time.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
May I ask what paint you used on the wood? For years I've been trying to pluck up the courage to do the house kitchen doors.. But wary. Your finish looks really good.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
That’s a beautiful transformation, well done.

OP
OP
SteveJ

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Hi movan I used Valspar Premium blend V700 for the top coat from B&Q. The more important thing is the undercoat and the sealer.
Undercoat I used this for the undercoat, https://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/...ET_EDGE_BLOCK_AND_BOND_PRIMER_SEALER_ZAPS_ST/
basically the same as Zinsser BIN and around the same price but I find it covers better and gives you a bit longer before it starts to dry to much.
I can't remember the name of the sealer I used off the top of my head, I have a can left which I'll take a look at later for you.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Looking great and I'm sure you must feel justly proud of what you have achieved! Also, off-topic, please convey a huge, heartfelt "thank-you" to your partner for their work and sacrifice during such a difficult time.

ditto on these comments from me as well SteveJ , I hope you both get some time away to enjoy your work and more importantly the work of your FBH:clap:

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
What a very nice and pleasing result.
I am very impressed.
My sort of project.
A job very well done 😊

OP
OP
SteveJ

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
Hi movan This is the topcoat/sealer I used. Spent a lot of time reading various blogs on furniture painting and this one came out as the most recommended. Not the cheapest but does actually go a fair way. I used a 946ml tin and most of a 437ml tin, but that was to do all of the paintwork, which was also both inside & outside all of the doors with a minimum of 3 coats. The company in the below link is the cheapest place I could find without a doubt.
https://www.goldleafsupplies.co.uk/high-performance-top-coat-satin-946ml-3035/

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Clever geezer,well done. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun