Slight cough and hiccup on starting (1 Viewer)

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
So...when I start my engine....2004 Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD unless I give it a tiny bit of throttle it sometimes doesn’t start....also when I turn it off you hear a little knock from underneath the van and a half second run on....it’s not a problem now...but thought I might try and sort it out before perhaps it doesn’t start when I’m somewhere Inconvenient. After its started it runs like a dream all day....any ideas....starter motor, fuel pump (is it Bosche?)...jets ? earthing strap....I’ve put a new fuel filter on...got the scuffed knuckles to prove it....

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Elbow grease on air valve and intake manifold may be due. Excessive oil vapour in the intake may impede the clean air for a ideal mixture, and aids soot build up. I once de cocked a combo van 1,7d Isuzu, full of soot in the intake close to air valve( throttle body). Was a pig to start, once cleaned was like shit of a shovel, like new.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Elbow grease on air valve and intake manifold may be due. Excessive oil vapour in the intake may impede the clean air for a ideal mixture, and aids soot build up. I once de cocked a combo van 1,7d Isuzu, full of soot in the intake close to air valve( throttle body). Was a pig to start, once cleaned was like shit of a shovel, like new.
Hmm...if I knew how to do that I would...

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Have a browse on fleabay for Liqui Moly, there are various types for cleaning injectors etc.

Our elderly Kon-Tiki (1995) 2.5 turbo diesel was starting instantly, but wasn't happy on tickover til warm, the engine was very lumpy, however it pulled really well once warmed up.
So it got an Italian tune up while the Liqui Moly did its work, a run to Hawick & back about 220miles did it the world of good.

That treatment has certainly worked its magic.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Have a browse on fleabay for Liqui Moly, there are various types for cleaning injectors etc.

Our elderly Kon-Tiki (1995) 2.5 turbo diesel was starting instantly, but wasn't happy on tickover til warm, the engine was very lumpy, however it pulled really well once warmed up.
So it got an Italian tune up while the Liqui Moly did its work, a run to Hawick & back about 220miles did it the world of good.

Right Liqui Molly and some Diesel Forte....I’ll start looking out for it...cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp

Right can’t seem to obtain Liqui Moly in France but there are alternatives. Do these egr and injector cleaners just go in the petrol tank or do I have to find the inlet valve manifold whatever it is and dismantle it to spray the stuff in ?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
The injector cleaner goes in the fuel tank. The egr gets sprayed in the inlet, after you remove the air filter duct. Of course this will help to be effective before a long drive.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Right can’t seem to obtain Liqui Moly in France but there are alternatives. Do these egr and injector cleaners just go in the petrol tank or do I have to find the inlet valve manifold whatever it is and dismantle it to spray the stuff in ?
On the Continent it might be easier to get some Wurth Gen X Injector cleaner, they are a huge company.
I doubt if your EGR has an issue, these engines aren't the most technologically advanced & EGR issues are not really common.
1599161546519.png

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
I do that every year with our Jtd2.8, just before the MOT to ensure it passes the emissions test.
What are big revs....3000rpm or more 😥...hate thrashing engines....think I’m going to hear a big bang and engine explodes.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
The injector cleaner goes in the fuel tank. The egr gets sprayed in the inlet, after you remove the air filter duct. Of course this will help to be effective before a long drive.
Looked on YouTube....seemed to say remove hose to turbo....can’t seem to find any picture of a 2.8 JTD to go from. Perhaps I’ll try the injector cleaner first. Easier.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
On the Continent it might be easier to get some Wurth Gen X Injector cleaner, they are a huge company.
I doubt if your EGR has an issue, these engines aren't the most technologically advanced & EGR issues are not really common.
View attachment 421933
Yes couldn’t find Liqui Moly anywhere. That one says petrol ! I’m diesel....assume they do a diesel one.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
What are big revs....3000rpm or more 😥...hate thrashing engines....think I’m going to hear a big bang and engine explodes.
I take mine up to 4k revs regularly.

phillipsheila

Free Member
Jun 23, 2020
Swansea, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail 660se
Exp
since 2000. 18 motorhomes and counting
Our last motor was 2.8 smoked alot when we had it 3rd gear max revs up steep hill cleared it it run much better after with no smoke

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You can hold your foot flat to the floor whilst driving and it won’t explode under its own power. Just don’t increase the revs by going from flat out 4th gear to 2nd gear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back